Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 07:58 AM

3,825 posts, read 9,531,256 times

Advertisements

I hike and run over 1000 miles a year on the trails out here and have had zero issues with snakes. See maybe 2-3 a year and get buzzed off once every other year. No need for snake gaiters or extra special footwear in Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 10:47 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,005,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I hike and run over 1000 miles a year on the trails out here and have had zero issues with snakes. See maybe 2-3 a year and get buzzed off once every other year. No need for snake gaiters or extra special footwear in Arizona.
Almost 400 people are bitten annually in AZ. There is definitely significant cause for concern. Have you seen how much anti-venin costs per vial? Sometimes over $10K. Many bad envenomations can require multiple vials. Its not cheap! Its always better to be safe than sorry.

Coming down from Twobit Peak 3 years ago, I was right near that trail where it intersects trail 101, and right in the middle of the path was a red phase tiger rattlesnake, all stretched out, not moving a muscle. Had I not noticed the slight pattern difference between the rattler and the rocks, I would've stepped right on it. Luckily I looked down literally 2-3 steps before it and froze. I had to stop all the other hikers, too, until I could get it off the trail to safety.

Same thing happened on the Cholla Trail (Camelback) last Fall. I was coming back down the trail (by one of the guard rail things) and there was a nice sized western diamondback right on the trail. Well, half its body was on the trail, the other half was off the trail. I used my hiking stick and touched its rattler and it quickly shot off into the brush.

ALWAYS keep your eyes peeled, people. Always.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:31 AM

551 posts, read 698,056 times
Rattlers are all over the state. Rattlers are shy too, they don't like people so they would rather move than deal with you - if they are warm enough to do so. Many people don't see them because of how well they blend into the environment. Proper footwear if out hiking I would say is essential, not optional.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
Rattlers are all over the state. Rattlers are shy too, they don't like people so they would rather move than deal with you - if they are warm enough to do so. Many people don't see them because of how well they blend into the environment. Proper footwear if out hiking I would say is essential, not optional.
You aint lyin! I chuckle when I hear people say "Ive been here for 15 years and have never seen a snake!" People, you might not have seen them, but I guarantee tons have seen you.

http://929nin.com/files/2016/03/Rattlesnake-Hiding.png

https://ssl.c.photoshelter.com/img-g...DRS-026396.jpg

https://cdnph.upi.com/ph/st/th/80214...rhead.jpg?lg=5

http://cdn0.wideopenspaces.com/wp-co...Bull-Snake.jpg

https://steemit-production-imageprox...hET5_1680x8400

Old 01-18-2018, 01:06 PM

730 posts, read 682,859 times
Its not the animals its the vegetable kingdom. The incredible numers of thorns and stickers. Almost every single plant will cause you pain and distress.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:16 PM

44,713 posts, read 61,932,446 times
Most of the critters that are dangerous out here are those jackasses behind the wheel. Otherwise you leave the desert animals alone they won't bother you. Also remember who was here first.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:17 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,211,081 times
This is my top 10 list of things to be wary of in the desert (in no particular order):

1. Dehydration/heat exhaustion (lots of people get turned around, even on trails, and that 1.5-hour hike with a bottle of water turns into an all day thing)
2. Thorny vegetation (esp. evil cholla)
3. Slips and falls (also driving off the road)
4. Prospect pits/mining adits (many are left uncovered)
5. Storm water flowing in normally dry washes/arroyos
6. Beehives
7. Upset landowners/dogs
8. Rattlesnakes
9. Wandering into a herd of javelina (esp. with babies)
10. Bulls

Old 01-18-2018, 03:01 PM

3,825 posts, read 9,531,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Almost 400 people are bitten annually in AZ. There is definitely significant cause for concern. Have you seen how much anti-venin costs per vial? Sometimes over $10K. Many bad envenomations can require multiple vials. Its not cheap! Its always better to be safe than sorry.

Coming down from Twobit Peak 3 years ago, I was right near that trail where it intersects trail 101, and right in the middle of the path was a red phase tiger rattlesnake, all stretched out, not moving a muscle. Had I not noticed the slight pattern difference between the rattler and the rocks, I would've stepped right on it. Luckily I looked down literally 2-3 steps before it and froze. I had to stop all the other hikers, too, until I could get it off the trail to safety.

Same thing happened on the Cholla Trail (Camelback) last Fall. I was coming back down the trail (by one of the guard rail things) and there was a nice sized western diamondback right on the trail. Well, half its body was on the trail, the other half was off the trail. I used my hiking stick and touched its rattler and it quickly shot off into the brush.

ALWAYS keep your eyes peeled, people. Always.
Though extremely rare that someone gets bit hiking or running in Arizona. I've accidentally stepped on a few, took a nature break on one that was hiding under the bush I picked and ridden over one with a bike. Not saying that people don't get bit in Arizona, but saying your chances out hiking are slim.

I just looked it up to confirm what an ER nurse in Tucson told me and most snake bite victims are young men between 18-30 and alcohol is involved. The others for the most part are the weird ones where a snake is curled up on a welcome mat on someone's front doorstep, hiding in a pool filter or landscaping valve box.

You have more to worry about from getting run over by a mountain bike than you do from getting bit by a snake in Arizona.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Though extremely rare that someone gets bit hiking or running in Arizona. I've accidentally stepped on a few, took a nature break on one that was hiding under the bush I picked and ridden over one with a bike. Not saying that people don't get bit in Arizona, but saying your chances out hiking are slim.

I just looked it up to confirm what an ER nurse in Tucson told me and most snake bite victims are young men between 18-30 and alcohol is involved. The others for the most part are the weird ones where a snake is curled up on a welcome mat on someone's front doorstep, hiding in a pool filter or landscaping valve box.

You have more to worry about from getting run over by a mountain bike than you do from getting bit by a snake in Arizona.
What you've heard is true. Many bite victims are young, inebriated males messing with rattlers for "fun". And a lot of bites occur to those uninitiated to desert wildlife. Anyone who has lived here long enough knows to not reach into places you cant see, or forget to check inside pool filters, under doorsteps, etc.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:19 AM

3,421 posts, read 2,946,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
You aint lyin! I chuckle when I hear people say "Ive been here for 15 years and have never seen a snake!" People, you might not have seen them, but I guarantee tons have seen you.

http://929nin.com/files/2016/03/Rattlesnake-Hiding.png

https://ssl.c.photoshelter.com/img-g...DRS-026396.jpg

https://cdnph.upi.com/ph/st/th/80214...rhead.jpg?lg=5

http://cdn0.wideopenspaces.com/wp-co...Bull-Snake.jpg

https://steemit-production-imageprox...hET5_1680x8400
great pix man, thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona