Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 09:10 PM

3 posts, read 2,157 times

Advertisements

Greer is great for visiting, if you want to see what life was like 100 years ago… I don’t know why anyone in the modern era would want to live there, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 11:12 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,017 times
Greer is everything that has already been posted. It is off the main drag between Show Low and Eagar by about 5-6 miles. No jobs to speak of, closest hardware store would be Woodland Builders in Springerville. Closest hospital is Summit in show Low, though there may be a small satellite location in Eagar/Springerville. Groceries would probably be a best shopped in Eagar as well at the Bashas. Most all other amenities you're asking about are in the Show Low area.

Life in that area is definitely four seasons and for the outdoors rural minded person.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:18 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,751 times
Remote but not much snow, move to Duncan.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:27 AM

1,811 posts, read 900,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
The problem with some of these remote places is if you ever had any kind of emergency it may take awhile before help arrives. Fire, medical, police, whatever. If you were to get injured you might have to be flown out by helicopter to the nearest hospital, more than likely to Phoenix. You also have to take into consideration how far you want to travel in order to go grocery shopping or run errands. Especially during the winter. At an elevation of around 8,500 ft. you can expect to get a lot of snow. The closest town to Greer is Eager which is about a 20 minute drive. At a population of around 5,000 along with Springerville with a population of around 2,000. There's not a wide variety of places to shop or services available. You'd probably have to go to Show Low for that which is about an hours drive.

At any rate these are things that we took into consideration before we moved to Arizona. One of our friends lives about 45 minutes away from us in a semi remote part of Arizona. We both have old cars and we first met at a car show near where I live. They have a lot of acreage and love where they are. But have often commented that it gets kind of old having to travel 45 minutes to an hour one way just to shop or run simple errands. Shopping, simple errands and appointments for services could take up a good part of your day.

My friend had a medical emergency and had to be flown to Phoenix by helicopter which was about a 45 minute flight. Which doesn't take into consideration the time it took for an ambulance to first arrive. For what it's worth the bill for the helicopter ride was $83,000 of which they had to pay $7,000.
I’ve in remote places in Alaska where it could takes days to get help depending on weather. Groceries flown in small charter planes. No roads to anywhere. No stores either. Yet we and others have lived out in these remote areas and thrived. I’d say we actually lived life instead of just being commercial consumers constantly driving from one place to the next.

Old 11-07-2021, 06:26 AM

11,058 posts, read 6,881,999 times
https://youtu.be/H67bg5W1rIM

Watched this video last night. Very informative. Greer is included. Gives you a run of the streets and neighborhoods in the downtown area if you can call it that! I would live in Bisbee in a heartbeat. It's a tourist town though, so property is more expensive.

Old 11-07-2021, 10:35 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
I’ve in remote places in Alaska where it could takes days to get help depending on weather. Groceries flown in small charter planes. No roads to anywhere. No stores either. Yet we and others have lived out in these remote areas and thrived. I’d say we actually lived life instead of just being commercial consumers constantly driving from one place to the next.
Great, if that's what makes YOU happy. But I don't think that you're gonna' find too many people that would be happy living as if they were back in the 1800's. Or waiting days to get help in an emergency situation especially if it's a matter of life or death. I live in a semi rural area that's just far away from everything yet close enough to everything. I'm perfectly happy where I am and I'm living life to it's fullest. I don't spend my free time as a "commercial consumer constantly driving from one place to the next."

At any rate anyone considering living in a remote area has to take a lot of things into consideration. Just because YOU'VE "thrived" doesn't mean that everyone else will or could? Myself, if I'm working on my cars or my home and have to make a trip into town to pick something up I don't want to spend half of my day on the road, same for grocery shopping. Then there's those times where you'd forget something and have to go back out again. I certainly do not want to depend on having my groceries flown in by a small charter plane. I like to have a wide variety of groceries and want to actually see what I'm buying instead of having to depend on others to shop for me.

My wife and I both love going out into the wilderness to hike and shoot. There's a hiking trail right in my neighborhood that goes up into the mountains and the Sonoran Desert is about an hours drive. We love going out there and have often commented how great it would be to live out there, but then reality sets in. We often take day trips throughout Arizona. So in fact we have the best of both world's. We can go out and enjoy the wilderness and still have the conveniences of the modern world. That may not be important to you but for us and a lot of others it is. Otherwise just about everyone would be living out in the middle of nowhere as if it was back in the 1800's. There's a reason why Alaska is one of the least populated states.

Where we used to live in New York the population density was over 5,000 people per square mile. Where I am now it's less than 1,000 people per square mile. Which for us is just about right.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 11-07-2021 at 10:58 AM..

Old 11-08-2021, 05:13 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
Life is too short to purposely live a challenging life if you don't have to. If you're going rural, at least live in Nebraska that has 4 seasons. They have the basic necessities such as roads, bridges, grocery stores and electricity.

Old 11-12-2021, 08:43 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Remote but not much snow, move to Duncan.
Duncan is so isolated they roll pumpkins to pass the time.

Old Eastern Arizona joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona