Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 06:36 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,651,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatone View Post
Since moving to Northern Arizona and regularly driving the I17 to and from Phoenix or 260 and 89A, I am constantly passed by drivers driving way over the posted speed limit..
Must be different in southern Arizona. I was in Tucson in March and drove up to Phoenix one day on I-10. Nobody was going much faster than the 75mph speed limit. Unfortunately, Arizona must be full of left lane hogs. The freeway is 3 lanes in both directions and there were always left lane hogs camped out there oblivious to drivers behind them wanting to pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2021, 06:38 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,310,081 times
I posted this in another thread a while ago. In my experience, the following vehicle types tend to be the slowest movers:

* Cars with old faded AZ license plates (especially those containing 6 characters instead of 7)
* Cars with handicapped plates, or handicapped placards
* Vehicles with out of state plates
* Older vehicles, usually the smaller ones with 4 cylinder engines
* RVs
* Large commercial vehicles (big rigs, trailers, buses, etc.)

Old 12-22-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I. There is a traffic law in AZ that slower traffic must be in the right lane.
Traffic law not enforced. See my post above.

Old 12-22-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Was just on I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix twice yesterday. The biggest issue was a few cars that were parked in the far left lane doing 2-3 MPH over the speed limit and oblivious to the number of cars that had to whip around them. Other than that the traffic was flowing fine.
I had the same observation on that stretch of freeway when I was there in March.

Old 12-22-2021, 06:45 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,310,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Must be different in southern Arizona. I was in Tucson in March and drove up to Phoenix one day on I-10. Nobody was going much faster than the 75mph speed limit. Unfortunately, Arizona must be full of left lane hogs. The freeway is 3 lanes in both directions and there were always left lane hogs camped out there oblivious to drivers behind them wanting to pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Traffic law not enforced. See my post above.
Yes! I'm usually not one to cut somebody off in traffic, but these left lane hogs are an exception, and they need to be taught a lesson. Since the cops won't pull them over & cite them for driving slow in the left lane (an absolute moving violation), if I happen to get behind somebody poking along in the left lane, holding up the flow & refusing to move over, I will pass them in the next lane and cut them off. There's absolutely no reason for these slowpokes to be in the left lane ... and they know they're a hindrance, but apparently don't care.

Old 12-23-2021, 02:31 PM

3,411 posts, read 4,661,417 times
Maybe AZ needs to posts these signs AND enforce them

Instead of this and just being passive about it

Old 12-23-2021, 05:31 PM

20 posts, read 38,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I posted this in another thread a while ago. In my experience, the following vehicle types tend to be the slowest movers:

* Cars with old faded AZ license plates (especially those containing 6 characters instead of 7)
* Cars with handicapped plates, or handicapped placards
* Vehicles with out of state plates
* Older vehicles, usually the smaller ones with 4 cylinder engines
* RVs
* Large commercial vehicles (big rigs, trailers, buses, etc.)

OP here. My experience with the fastest movers on I-17 is...

* Big SUV's
* Pickup trucks
* Pickup trucks with big grilles
* Pickup trucks with giant grilles (Usually 10-feet behind me)
* Lifted pickup trucks with giant grilles (2 feet behind me)

Old 12-23-2021, 05:39 PM

3,411 posts, read 4,661,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatone View Post
OP here. My experience with the fastest movers on I-17 is...

* Big SUV's
* Pickup trucks
* Pickup trucks with big grilles
* Pickup trucks with giant grilles (Usually 10-feet behind me)
* Lifted pickup trucks with giant grilles (2 feet behind me)
Rednecks with fragile egos, they're just as bad on the other side such as Prius and some Subaru drivers.

Old 12-25-2021, 08:31 AM

51,067 posts, read 24,563,121 times
This may come as a shock to a few of you, but the rest of us are not required to speed for your convenience. Of course, I support minimum speed limits on whatever highways they exist, and support keeping to the right if one is going slower than the rest of the traffic...or even if you don't have an upcoming need to turn left or pass someone.

Old 12-26-2021, 10:45 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,891,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Maybe AZ needs to posts these signs AND enforce them

Instead of this and just being passive about it
The problem with what you're saying is that you're advocating selective enforcement - you want the state to enforce *those* signs, but not the ones that say "Speed Limit ##" .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona