Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2022, 02:29 PM

214 posts, read 403,185 times

Advertisements

Have lived in Arizona for almost 8 years and love it.

Planning a visit to the Sierra Vista area in the near future.

For those that have lived here for 2 or more years, how do you like it so far?

Is the community proactive in planning for the water reductions to come in SE AZ?

Have recent border surges reported in news created problems, such as increased crime and strain on the local economy in the area?

How is the availability of healthcare in the immediate area? Especially for older adults.

Are there centers for seniors if they choose to use them?

Do you feel a sense of community here and are you involved in volunteer work?

We're looking here because we both like the outdoors - hiking, birding, fishing and the Sierra Vista community seems to have it all and is just the right size.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 12:16 PM

532 posts, read 449,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeEveryone View Post
Have lived in Arizona for almost 8 years and love it.

Planning a visit to the Sierra Vista area in the near future.

For those that have lived here for 2 or more years, how do you like it so far?

Is the community proactive in planning for the water reductions to come in SE AZ?

Have recent border surges reported in news created problems, such as increased crime and strain on the local economy in the area?

How is the availability of healthcare in the immediate area? Especially for older adults.

Are there centers for seniors if they choose to use them?

Do you feel a sense of community here and are you involved in volunteer work?

We're looking here because we both like the outdoors - hiking, birding, fishing and the Sierra Vista community seems to have it all and is just the right size.

Thank you.
I lived in Sierra Vista for just a little more than a year 2012-2013, military duty.
I already was a fan of the high desert and Sierra Vista delivered well, a climate that I enjoyed.
I took the assignment and moved from Fairbanks AK to Sierra Vista for that reason. I was also hoping for good healthcare and senior daycare options for my Mom. She was living with us and had Parkinsons and moderate dementia.

Senior Care and random thoughts:
I was very particular on what I wanted for my Mom. In Fairbanks I found a nice senior daycare rotating daily activities and outings with a high staff to client ratio and a very homey environment. I was disappointed with the choices I found in Sierra Vista. I found a place or two but they really depressed me so I kept my Mom at home. I actually made a decision to retire from the Army with a move back to Alaska so that I could return to the Senior daycare and also allow my daughter to finish High School with her friends.

Healthcare and retirement:
I started asking anyone who seemed friendly about retirement in Sierra Vista. Most responses were positive. Small hospital in town and one couple I talked to were reluctantly moving to Tucson for closer access to Cardiology. Basic Primary Care with Internal Med was very close and convenient. I'm 62 and I'm considering moving back to AZ and I would probably choose to live closer to Tucson to anticipate for increasing healthcare needs. Also I'm a big fan of Saguaro cactus, another plus for Tucson and most important, my wife thinks SV is too small and wants to be near a bigger city.

Outdoor activities:
Biking, hiking and weekend outdoor markets. Lots of parks within a short drive.
Took my daughter to an activity that involved catching banding and tracking hummingbirds.
Rented an RV and hit a lot of state parks for camping. Day trips to Bisbee and Tombstone.

At first I was pretty intent on buying a home and my wife and I looked at quite a few over about 2 months and ended up renting. If you end up wanting advice from a realtor I HIGHLY recommend Sonny Lee. I have made 14 military moves and he is by far the nicest person I have delt with. I figured he might be retired now but a quick internet search shows he is still going.

Old 01-15-2022, 01:27 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,412,939 times
"Outdoor activities:
Biking, hiking and weekend outdoor markets. Lots of parks within a short drive.
Took my daughter to an activity that involved catching banding and tracking hummingbirds."

Don't forget kayaking (or swimming)...on the San Pedro River, or on Parker Lake on the west side of Ft Huachuca.
The San Pedro in monsoon season is not for the weekend paddler....I came close to being a statistic there one summer. As for birds, SV is the premier bird watching site in AZ.

Old 01-27-2022, 01:58 PM

214 posts, read 403,185 times
Thank you for the information.
Any recommendations for a pet friendly (one small senior dog) hotel with kitchenette?
Also, any recommendations for restaurants? Nothing fancy, just good food and ability to pick up take out.
Appreciate the helpful responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona