Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 10:13 PM

31,013 posts, read 22,056,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
If Kari Fake becomes governor watch for a huge influx of gun slinging right wing 'John Wayne' wannabes heading this way. Oops, there's already a bunch here right now.
I'll take the "John Wayne" types as they aren't committing all the violence in the first place. Especially on Phoenix's highly Democrat West side. The rampant increase in violence doesn't occur in the Republican controlled areas around Phoenix. Last thing we need is California's catch and release DA's that release the most violent criminals, but that's what we are getting with California, and East coast politicians.

Old 09-22-2022, 10:50 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I'll take the "John Wayne" types as they aren't committing all the violence in the first place. Especially on Phoenix's highly Democrat West side. The rampant increase in violence doesn't occur in the Republican controlled areas around Phoenix. Last thing we need is California's catch and release DA's that release the most violent criminals, but that's what we are getting with California, and East coast politicians.
Not true, it's pretty evenly divided around the metro area.

https://crimegrade.org/safest-places...enix-az-metro/ And the catch & release are the wealthy ones that have the money to bail out, hmmm aren't republicans the rich ones?

Old 09-23-2022, 09:50 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
That's the problem though. This trend (we're seeing it more and more) to not debate your opponent is not good for the voters and the country overall. It's setting a very dangerous precedent.

But look at Mark Kelly, he is 1 of 100 US Senators which makes him an extremely important and powerful person, not only in the US, but around the world. As a sitting US Senator he has to be able to go on stage, face his opponent and calmly/professionally present himself and his ideas. They're not going to be exactly what everyone wants, but he has to present himself in a way that gives most voters the confidence that he's a capable and rational guy.

The Governor's job is not quite as important on the world stage but what they do can have a huge impact on domestic policy and it's a pretty select group if you consider that there's only 50 of them in a country of 350 million.

If you can't face your opponent directly and present or defend your ideas then you leave the door open for them to define you and that doesn't do us any good if you are actually a good candidate.
I used to agree with you. But I'm not sure that the same general rule of thumb -- at least for me -- applies when your opponent -- whether right or left, dem or rep -- is wacko. It gives them a legitimacy that they don't deserve.

Old 09-23-2022, 10:46 AM

219 posts, read 176,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I used to agree with you. But I'm not sure that the same general rule of thumb -- at least for me -- applies when your opponent -- whether right or left, dem or rep -- is wacko. It gives them a legitimacy that they don't deserve.
Whether you agree with it or not, they do deserve it. They were nominated through a primary vote. They "earned" it, so to speak. Last I checked, this is still a Constitutional Republic. We don't live under communism just yet, so our candidates should be expected to debate each other....whether or not "you" think they are a wacko.

Old 09-23-2022, 11:00 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingRebel View Post
Whether you agree with it or not, they do deserve it. They were nominated through a primary vote. They "earned" it, so to speak. Last I checked, this is still a Constitutional Republic. We don't live under communism just yet, so our candidates should be expected to debate each other....whether or not "you" think they are a wacko.
This is just conjecture unless you can point to where you see that a debate is a requisite of a primary win? You're countering an opinion with your opinion.

Old 09-23-2022, 11:30 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,723,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And I would normally agree with you. However, the trend of this becoming the norm is very disturbing. By simply calling your opponent a whacko you can avoid debating them and leave the voter with no sense of how you would deal with people you disagree with.
Today's supposed whacko will be what next?
I use Mark Kelly as an example (like him or not), he's ahead in the polls, is on the side of an unpopular POTUS in a dying economy, and beat his last Republican opponent by 2.5% just 2 years ago.
He could probably win by just continuing to run ads (have you seen how much money his campaign has?) and manage his appearances but he's not going to do that, he plans to get on stage, face his challenger, and seal the election by appearing more Senatorial and probably winning over more voters (that's what I assume his plan is).
There have always been whackos in politics and will continue to be forever.
Good leaders have the ability to defeat them with either better ideas or by just being better all around.

Old 09-23-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
This is just conjecture unless you can point to where you see that a debate is a requisite of a primary win? You're countering an opinion with your opinion.
It's not really my opinion. It's a precedent that has been around for as long as I can figure.

Old 09-23-2022, 01:22 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
I don't think a debate would change anyone's mind. I totally understand why someone - anyone - would not want to debate the likes of Kari Lake. Pointless, fruitless, futile.

There might be a few right wingers who would see the light, but not enough to make a difference.

I'm in the minority but I don't see Arizona turning blue anytime soon or even in the distant future.

Any why do people need to be with PLU's all the time?? (People Like Us) Unless it's for financial reasons, it's really silly to avoid a place because of its politics. I'm a moderate liberal living in Alabama. I don't hate it. Quite the contrary. More and mroe people don't want to engage in conversations about politics, especially not casually.

My housemate has a friend who's a real right-winger. He's also a Christian while my housemate is a rabid, lifelong atheist and very left wing. They socialize ALL the time. They help each other. They are FRIENDS.

Think about that.

Old 09-23-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I don't think a debate would change anyone's mind. I totally understand why someone - anyone - would not want to debate the likes of Kari Lake. Pointless, fruitless, futile.

There might be a few right wingers who would see the light, but not enough to make a difference.

I'm in the minority but I don't see Arizona turning blue anytime soon or even in the distant future.

Any why do people need to be with PLU's all the time?? (People Like Us) Unless it's for financial reasons, it's really silly to avoid a place because of its politics. I'm a moderate liberal living in Alabama. I don't hate it. Quite the contrary. More and mroe people don't want to engage in conversations about politics, especially not casually.

My housemate has a friend who's a real right-winger. He's also a Christian while my housemate is a rabid, lifelong atheist and very left wing. They socialize ALL the time. They help each other. They are FRIENDS.

Think about that.
Well, I'm glad to say that you seem to be one of the few enlightened ones. I mean that genuinely. I think our government and media has successfully divided us so much politically, that I don't really see how we come back from it. Not until the majority of people wake up and see what is really going on here. Not until we realize that we are all human, and we are all American - only then can we restore some order and freedom apart from the elites.

Old 09-23-2022, 02:24 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingRebel View Post
Well, I'm glad to say that you seem to be one of the few enlightened ones. I mean that genuinely. I think our government and media has successfully divided us so much politically, that I don't really see how we come back from it. Not until the majority of people wake up and see what is really going on here. Not until we realize that we are all human, and we are all American - only then can we restore some order and freedom apart from the elites.
The divide will only grow wider as people drone on with this moronic conspiracy nonsense. Many find it too maddening to be around these types. If you truly care about unity, I'd suggest dropping the thinly-veiled 'everything is out to get us' fear-mongering crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona