Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 01:30 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times

Advertisements

I'm soliciting some help from part-year residents (i.e. snowbirds) about owning multiple cars in multiple states. This cannot possibly be a unique situation to me, although the MVD in Arizona frames it as if I'm the only one.

Here is what I want to do: Register ALL my cars in one state. This seems to be do-able since I see a bunch of cars from my home state, here in Arizona. The last one I saw had a Schumacher Mercedes frame around the plate, so I'm fairly certain it is a local car.

The MVD said I don't have to register it here. But apparently, the "you don't have to register it here" department, and the "violation enforcement department" don't have phones that connect to each other, because I have somehow landed myself in the field of "violators", which is not only funny, it's hilarious. The violation enforcement department has threatened everything short of prison time with a horny cellmate.

Among the things I have been told I cannot do:

-Register my other cars kept out of state, in Arizona
-Pay VLT on all cars without registering them here (I am not concerned with VLT, I want everything registered in one location)
-Remove this vehicle from the state of Arizona and switch it for another. I was told that I will receive citations if I do not regster the one that has been here for a while, because it is already in the system. I do not think that this is accurate.
-Be removed from the list, because I was told I do not have to register here. MVD staff can not remove me from the list (so I'm told) because I have already been labeled a "violator". Again, it seems that their phone numbers do not connect with other MVD phone numbers.

So my question is, how do other people work with this, or do you just split everything up and do it two or three times, once in each state. From what I've seen, most people DO NOT do that.

Furthermore, why can't I register out of state cars IN Arizona? Don't they want the VLT? I once regiestered a Range Rover in Wisconsin, and the car never touched Wisconsin soil one time ever. They didn't care; they were happy to take the money and issue license plates, with no emissions test restrictions because I listed the vehicle kept out of area. I'd think that Arizona would be happy to have the revenue, but apparently there is some reason that they can't do it.

Finally, why the heck won't someone at the MVD offer me more explanation than "see our website", or "if you don't have a transaction, we need to help the next person". I keep getting blown off, and I don't have time or patience to deal with people who--in my experience--aren't able to formulate a reasonable explanation, or suggest an alternative. They basically have told me, it's my "problem" that I chose to complicate my existence with multiple residences, and this is my "punishment". At least that's my read on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 03:51 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I'm soliciting some help from part-year residents (i.e. snowbirds) about owning multiple cars in multiple states. This cannot possibly be a unique situation to me, although the MVD in Arizona frames it as if I'm the only one.

Here is what I want to do: Register ALL my cars in one state. This seems to be do-able since I see a bunch of cars from my home state, here in Arizona. The last one I saw had a Schumacher Mercedes frame around the plate, so I'm fairly certain it is a local car.

The MVD said I don't have to register it here. But apparently, the "you don't have to register it here" department, and the "violation enforcement department" don't have phones that connect to each other, because I have somehow landed myself in the field of "violators", which is not only funny, it's hilarious. The violation enforcement department has threatened everything short of prison time with a horny cellmate.

Among the things I have been told I cannot do:

-Register my other cars kept out of state, in Arizona
-Pay VLT on all cars without registering them here (I am not concerned with VLT, I want everything registered in one location)
-Remove this vehicle from the state of Arizona and switch it for another. I was told that I will receive citations if I do not regster the one that has been here for a while, because it is already in the system. I do not think that this is accurate.
-Be removed from the list, because I was told I do not have to register here. MVD staff can not remove me from the list (so I'm told) because I have already been labeled a "violator". Again, it seems that their phone numbers do not connect with other MVD phone numbers.

So my question is, how do other people work with this, or do you just split everything up and do it two or three times, once in each state. From what I've seen, most people DO NOT do that.

Furthermore, why can't I register out of state cars IN Arizona? Don't they want the VLT? I once regiestered a Range Rover in Wisconsin, and the car never touched Wisconsin soil one time ever. They didn't care; they were happy to take the money and issue license plates, with no emissions test restrictions because I listed the vehicle kept out of area. I'd think that Arizona would be happy to have the revenue, but apparently there is some reason that they can't do it.

Finally, why the heck won't someone at the MVD offer me more explanation than "see our website", or "if you don't have a transaction, we need to help the next person". I keep getting blown off, and I don't have time or patience to deal with people who--in my experience--aren't able to formulate a reasonable explanation, or suggest an alternative. They basically have told me, it's my "problem" that I chose to complicate my existence with multiple residences, and this is my "punishment". At least that's my read on it.
What they've told you is that you cannot register a car here that you have in another state. You seem to want them to tell you what you want to hear and they won't do that.

When you register an out of state car here you must take those out of state plates and turn them into the MVD as you get your new AZ plates.

It's that simple. You register the car in the state where it resides. This is not what you want to hear, but they are not going to change the law for you.

Yes they are telling you that you chose to complicate your life with multiple residences and it is your problem. Just register the car where it resides. I really don't see the problem. We are all required to live by the laws of each state where we choose to reside.

Be thankful that you have the means to have multiple residences and multiple cars in multiple states with the problem of not being to register everything in one state. You are fortunate. Many people have much more serious problems than that.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:03 PM

99 posts, read 386,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
What they've told you is that you cannot register a car here that you have in another state. You seem to want them to tell you what you want to hear and they won't do that.

When you register an out of state car here you must take those out of state plates and turn them into the MVD as you get your new AZ plates.

It's that simple. You register the car in the state where it resides. This is not what you want to hear, but they are not going to change the law for you.

Yes they are telling you that you chose to complicate your life with multiple residences and it is your problem. Just register the car where it resides. I really don't see the problem. We are all required to live by the laws of each state where we choose to reside.

Be thankful that you have the means to have multiple residences and multiple cars in multiple states with the problem of not being to register everything in one state. You are fortunate. Many people have much more serious problems than that.
Couldn't of said it better myself

Old 07-12-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post

Regardless of the answer, I do appreciate the time, particularly from Captain Bill. I understand that this is NOT a major problem, and to some it may seem like much ado about nothing. Capt. Bill is correct; I have problems that other people would like to have and while this is a "problem" for me, it is not the end of the world. I am the first person to be thankful for what I have, and in fact I'm thankful that I'm alive to have problems, after narrowly escaping my early 20s with my life and good health.

What I was hoping to hear, was some sort of information from someone who is actively doing this, simply because, I have learned over time, that most answers are negotiable, and when multiple answers are given (as the MVD has given me several), multiple solutions are found. This isn't the end of the world, but I'd greatly prefer it to be the way I'd like, which is why I asked the question. I didn't ask to stir up trouble or annoy anyone, because the problem can be "solved", just not to my personal satisfaction. That's the purpose of the question.

Thanks again.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:48 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Listen to Capt Bill, he nailed it.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:45 PM

710 posts, read 3,390,954 times
It's difficult to understand your question.

You want to register 'all' of your cars here in Arizona, although you are not an AZ resident?

Arizona requires that a new resident with an out-of-state car bring it for a physical inspection at an MVD location for a VIN verification, before being issued an AZ/Title and or license plate. Proof of arizona insurance must provided to MVD within 30 days.

If you're a snowbird, and maintain a residence in another state, why not keep your homestate license/insurance/plate? Chances are, it's cheaper anyway.

You are going to get all kinds of hassles trying to register a car that MVD here can't inspect, and you won't make your life easier if you go 'halfway' to becoming a resident by getting an AZ license... because then you just made yourself an 'AZ resident with out-of-state plate' which is a traffic violation here.

All or nothing

Old 07-14-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603 View Post
It's difficult to understand your question.

You want to register 'all' of your cars here in Arizona, although you are not an AZ resident?

Arizona requires that a new resident with an out-of-state car bring it for a physical inspection at an MVD location for a VIN verification, before being issued an AZ/Title and or license plate. Proof of arizona insurance must provided to MVD within 30 days.

If you're a snowbird, and maintain a residence in another state, why not keep your homestate license/insurance/plate? Chances are, it's cheaper anyway.

You are going to get all kinds of hassles trying to register a car that MVD here can't inspect, and you won't make your life easier if you go 'halfway' to becoming a resident by getting an AZ license... because then you just made yourself an 'AZ resident with out-of-state plate' which is a traffic violation here.

All or nothing
I appreciate you reading and interpreting the question in a level headed way. You are correct.

I don't usually jump when someone blows hot air... particularly government agencies and airlines. In my experience, a large chunk of what both do is inconsistent, and depends largely on who you talk to, how busy they are, etc. They're both overcomplicated to the point of confusion, including for the people who work there.

Each state has their own versions of similar laws, but across several states, the laws are incongruent. In my opinion, you can not obey every last statute and law of multiple states if you live in both. It isn't just difficult, it is impossible due to overlapping laws and requirements of different states.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:16 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
I'd like to tailgate my question in this thread too.

We are on track to live here for the winter, and in Pennsylvania for the summer in the future. I will own a home both in Az and Pa, and I'll be spending equal time in each. We will be driving one truck towing our other car from home to home when its time to switch.

How would vehicle registration work? I will be living part time in each state, and the vehicles will be in each state for an equal amount of time. Do i need to change my residency and plates twice a year? that seams like an insane amount of annoying dealings to me, and there has to be a way to keep everything registered here.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
I'd like to tailgate my question in this thread too.

We are on track to live here for the winter, and in Pennsylvania for the summer in the future. I will own a home both in Az and Pa, and I'll be spending equal time in each. We will be driving one truck towing our other car from home to home when its time to switch.

How would vehicle registration work? I will be living part time in each state, and the vehicles will be in each state for an equal amount of time. Do i need to change my residency and plates twice a year? that seams like an insane amount of annoying dealings to me, and there has to be a way to keep everything registered here.
You are absolutely correct on all counts. At best, it's a huge hassle. At worst, it's a train wreck. Spending days trying to navigate your local, unfriendly motor vehicle department, staffed by a counter clerk with a rancid disposition and from what I've seen, a genuine dislike for his/her job.

If you followed the "letter of the law", you would have to relicense yourself and your cars twice a year. IMO, anyone who is scared into doing this deserves the pain that results. That also means changing insurance policies and possibly other things. Can you imagine what a headache that would get to be, especially if you lived in a municipality on one side--or both--that required village stickers and all of that? It would never end.

The short story is, obviously nobody does this, because in my area, it seems that a lot of people are multiple homeowners from other states. And it also seems that they have found it possible--and undoubtedly less troublesome--to keep vehicles registered IN ONE LOCATION, which was my original question ("how do you..."). Unfortunately this offended one person's "moderator-approved" brand of decency, but that's how it goes. That person is more than welcome to fly back and forth to my residences to ferry my vehicles around to the local MVD/DMVs, inspection stations, and to stand on line for me.

My recommendation would be to keep a drivers license consistent with your car registration. If you are ever questioned, make sure that you note to the individual or agency, that you spend less than the full-time residency period in [whatever state you don't want to license your cars in], each year, and leave it at that. If you try to live by the letter of the MVD code, you will not be able to do it, because it is not possible. You'll always be in violation of one or the other states, depending on where you are, how long you've been there, and from my experience, whether the wind is blowing from the wrong direction.

In the meantime, if you were to receive any sort of notice, window sticker, or whatever, you didn't get it unless it was delivered to you, in person, by an actual person.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:35 AM

1 posts, read 23,280 times
Do I understand correctly that, as a snowbird in AZ, I can have a CT license (primary residence), but buy and register a vehicle in AZ that is intended to remain a west coast vehicle?

As there is often a need to fly back during the winter, it makes more sense to leave an east coast vehicle in CT and have one here, than to drive back and forth.

Please confirm if confident of the answer. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: