Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:36 PM

30 posts, read 127,290 times

Advertisements

...on things to do in Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Sedona for a long weekend in November! any ideas? I am pretty open to anything! Here are some details: no kiddos, so "adult fun" and outdoors activites are what I am looking for Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 04:42 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,924,625 times
Make the trip to Sedona and take your camera. When you’re there take the road that leads up to the airport on the mesa that overlooks the city and general area ~ it’s a good view of the beauty that’s there.

Shopping at Tlaquepaque (small upscale outdoor mall) is interesting and you get to see many art items that you can purchase. Also shopping at the many stores in Old Town central is fun for those who enjoy that sort of thing.

Taking a Jeep Tour into the back areas of the red rocks is also a fun experience, or rent a bike. You can hike the trails and get some great views but it will eat up your limited time.

You’ll always remember Sedona and everything it has to offer to visitors, but Phoenix and the general area is just another large city for the most part. IMO

Old 11-03-2009, 06:41 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,882,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Make the trip to Sedona and take your camera. When you’re there take the road that leads up to the airport on the mesa that overlooks the city and general area ~ it’s a good view of the beauty that’s there.

Shopping at Tlaquepaque (small upscale outdoor mall) is interesting and you get to see many art items that you can purchase. Also shopping at the many stores in Old Town central is fun for those who enjoy that sort of thing.

Taking a Jeep Tour into the back areas of the red rocks is also a fun experience, or rent a bike. You can hike the trails and get some great views but it will eat up your limited time.

You’ll always remember Sedona and everything it has to offer to visitors, but Phoenix and the general area is just another large city for the most part. IMO
I haven't been there in years (before) and this is good advice from what I have read....Thanks

Old 11-04-2009, 07:30 AM

849 posts, read 2,926,369 times
There are tons of places to hike and mountain bike in Sedona. You can rent bikes at Bike and Bean, and the trails are right across the street from there. You can hike the trails to Courthouse Towers and Bell Rock, and there are tons of other hikes around the area. You won't be bored in Sedona if you like the outdoors for sure. The hikes in that area are relatively short; you can do them in the morning and still have plenty of time to do other things. I think the trail network is called Big Park Loop..not sure.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:50 PM

30 posts, read 127,290 times
Wow! Thanks everyone!!! I think hiking in Sedona is something that I am most looking forward too! Anyother ideas for Scottsdale perhaps???

Old 11-04-2009, 05:15 PM

849 posts, read 2,926,369 times
Coconino National Forest - Courthouse Butte Loop and Big Park Trails
GREAT SEDONA HIKES

Old 11-05-2009, 08:31 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,924,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbktlpn View Post
Wow! Thanks everyone!!! I think hiking in Sedona is something that I am most looking forward too! Anyother ideas for Scottsdale perhaps???
"Old Town" Scottsdale is something that is fun and interesting. There are many shops that carry handcrafted items, artwork, mostly interesting things that you’d not find in a shopping mall. Several restaurants are also located in the old town area to enjoy as well.

"Old Town" is several blocks in size each way from the Scottsdale Road & Indian School Rd. You can also enjoy the Fashion Mall Shopping Center (typical mall) located north of the "Old Town district". There are many unique shops within the mall as well. However it’s best to spend time enjoying the unique things that you’d never find again, malls are everywhere, Old Town and Sedona are special and unique.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:14 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,667,979 times
You will only enjoy downtown Scottsdale, if you enjoy shopping for southwestern & native american souvenirs to bring home and remind you of your Scottsdale shopping trip. Likewise the fashion square will be entertaining if you want to gaze through storefront windows at $1,200 sandals.

Go Sedona all the way. Get outa Phx for something more memorable.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:34 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,484,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
You will only enjoy downtown Scottsdale, if you enjoy shopping for southwestern & native american souvenirs to bring home and remind you of your Scottsdale shopping trip. Likewise the fashion square will be entertaining if you want to gaze through storefront windows at $1,200 sandals.

Go Sedona all the way. Get outa Phx for something more memorable.
I absolutely agree with Sedona as a must-see, but if you want to see Scottsdale too, this critique of Old Town, and Fashion Square, for that matter, is over the top in my opinion. Is there some expensive stuff in both areas? Yes, you bet. Is it ALL expensive? No. Fashion Square has some high end stores, yes, but it's not all that way.

As far as Old Town, I've bought jewelry, etc., in Old Town myself. I'm not rolling in money, I got very good prices. Is it enjoyable to walk through the shops and galleries in Old Town, buying or not? Yes, it is. When you are done, drive out to to the Camelback Inn and stroll the grounds, maybe have a cocktail and enjoy the sunset view.

Whatever your itinerary ends up to be, have fun!

Old 11-05-2009, 07:48 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,667,979 times
Actually, yes, I am poking a little fun at the shopping malls. I guess I feel like if I go on vacation somewhere and all I did was shop for souvenirs, and then on top of that those souvenirs only remind of the store I bought them in since I didn't see any other part of the state, then I would feel a little cheated... but thats just me. If you derive immense satisfaction from shopping then Scottsdale is the ticket.

The fashion square mall to me is a total snooze, but to each his own. Its mostly high end clothing stores, and jewelry with a food court that has all the same things you can eat at home. There are some peripheral restaurants too that you can eat at that are a little different, but there is food in Sedona too.... I promise!

I think it boils down to whether the OP wants to come here and go trinket shopping and stroll resorts, or if they prefer something more adventurous like Sedona. I couldn't answer whether either is fun, its up to them to think about both options and choose.

At one point they remarked they are looking forward to a hike in Sedona, and fashion square, downtown scottsdale is about a 180 degree turnabout from that experience.

Last edited by cmist; 11-05-2009 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona