Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:55 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,742,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Like Bummer said, it really does depend where you're going in Texas. It's also depends on the time of year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I-40 is a pretty drive. But, during the winter, there are areas where you are more likely to not only see snow but, drive in/through it. The Kingman area east for some 20/30 miles. A 50 mile (or so) radius around Williams. Of course Flagstaff. Then Winslow and Holbrook..

BUT, being it is an Interstate - ADOT does an excellent job of keeping the highway maintained and, when necessary, plowed.
Absolutely, Miamiman, knowing the time of year is important.

There's nothing worse that being involved in or stuck behind an accident due to a freak storm; especially on a major interstate. Sometimes they last for hours.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:49 PM

135 posts, read 542,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal-ore View Post
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with I-40. I am going from oregon to texas and it looks like if you go from california over, there are some high elevations in flagstaff to cross. Does it get shut down due to snow and if so when. Any extra insight is awesome, or even an alternate route. Thanks!

When you see everyone elses posts, they are right with their thoughts...I have to ask where are you leaving from in Oregon and where are you going to in Texas? That will determine the best route for you to take.

As a truck driver (over the road for a number of years) this time of year I would recommend I-5 down into the LA area then I-10 to Texas. You're less likely to have inclement weather along the way except for maybe fog on I-5, a dust storm or something in Az or NM but that's equally unlikely this time of the year, too.

This (?) longer route would depend on your travel time frame, too. If you are constricted for travel time I would recommend I-5 to CA 99 (5 and 99 split near Sacramtento) into Bakersfield on to Hwy 58 east across to Barstow and I-40 east. I wouldn't worry much about the Flagstaff area for snow there isn't likely to be much.

I would be concerned with I-40 east of Albuquerque between Moriarty and Santa Rosa, NM. There's nothing to stop the wind out there and it blows constantly, if there's snow of any kind the road could likely be shut down for blowing snow or icing conditions....

For more info you can PM me and I'll do what I can do to help you with the safest route in the shortest time.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:11 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,429,681 times
Quote:
I-40 does not go near Las Vegas
Yes it does, it's the only way to get there. Moderator cut: rude I said I took it to there, not directly there, but it's the only interstate you can take from AZ to get there, after the I-40 there are other roads/highways but my point was it takes you to the area.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-09-2009 at 10:57 PM..

Old 11-09-2009, 08:31 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,304,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Yes it does, it's the only way to get there. Moderator cut: rude I said I took it to there, not directly there, but it's the only interstate you can take from AZ to get there, after the I-40 there are other roads/highways but my point was it takes you to the area.
First: 100 miles is not "near" Las Vegas.

Second - you can get to Las Vegas by way of another Interstate or not on an Interstate at all.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-09-2009 at 10:57 PM..

Old 11-09-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Second - you can get to Las Vegas by way of another Interstate or not on an Interstate at all.
From phoenix, it wouldn't make sense to take anything other than the I-40 from Flagstaff, I made the drive on a regular basis for almost 2 years to see friends who went to college there.

I never said it was "near" Las Vegas, I said I took it to there, Moderator cut: personal

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-09-2009 at 10:58 PM..

Old 11-09-2009, 09:42 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,667,836 times
Quote:

Im butting into someone elses argument here but I looked at a map cause I was curious. Its seems from Flagstaff, or say Albuqueque the I-40 is almost unavoidable to get to Vegas.

I usually take the 93 up north from the west valley, pass thru wickenburg etc, and then you pretty much run into the I-40. I dont think its necessary to go from Phx to Flagstaff though first if you are going to Vegas, but there is a weird spot on the map that looks like I-40 turns into the 93 for a little, which is the same road that goes to Vegas, so maybe this is the technicality you are fighting over?

Last edited by cmist; 11-09-2009 at 09:52 PM..

Old 11-09-2009, 09:42 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,304,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
From phoenix, it wouldn't make sense to take anything other than the I-40 from Flagstaff, I made the drive on a regular basis for almost 2 years to see friends who went to college there.
Moderator cut: personal
I make the drive every couple of weeks. That would be considered a pretty "regular" basis now, don't you agree?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-09-2009 at 10:58 PM..

Old 11-09-2009, 10:20 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned quote

Moderator cut: rude
I made the drive a good 30 times if not more, please tell me an alternative route that would not cause a huge delay from Phoenix.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-09-2009 at 10:59 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 09:09 AM

135 posts, read 542,879 times
All right! The guy wanted to know about I-40 through Flagstaff for his trip to TX.... Everyone got way sidetracked about I-40 going near(?) or thru(?) Las Vegas. CDL truck Driver that I am.....I-40 (Kingman, AZ area) goes within 100 miles of Las Vegas but does not go thru it! If you want interstate thru Las Vegas the route will be be I-15 north/south or I-515, US 93/95 east/west which run together at some point through Las Vegas. If y'all want to get back on track, notice who ever posted this tread has not taken th time to answer any of our comments. Thanx Peg

Old 11-10-2009, 10:58 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,900,074 times
So off track from the OP and so many options given. Closed. Squabble over something else.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona