Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 06:08 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,270,708 times

Advertisements

Arizona Highways had an article about ghost towns a while back. Here's a link to a book they sell.

Arizona Ghost Towns and Mining Camps
https://www.shoparizonahighways.com/store/products/index.cfm?action=detail&productid=6757&rtntype=cat &catid=5&pname=&price=&start=1&searchby= (broken link)

Here's a wikipedia entry on AZ ghost towns.
List of ghost towns in Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 08:36 PM

13,214 posts, read 21,842,161 times
Great links AZDreamer! This is turning out to be a really good thread.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:52 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,386,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62mike View Post
I was thinking about a quick trip to AZ just for the purpose of photographing an abandoned ghost town. I may also use a local model as well. Can anyone tell me where the best abandoned ghost towns are located? Or perhaps the greatest concentration....you know bang for my buck on a quick trip.

I would be flying in so which ever city was closest would be best.

Also, safety. Is that a concern? I assume many of these towns are in remote locations.

Thanks for any suggestions.
My Dad was a working Arizona cowboy and when I visited him we would spend a couple weeks looking at ghost towns and old mining camps.

All your responders gave good info, but for photos of an unoccupied ghost town, your best bet is Ruby. As your responder stated, it is on private property, and behind locked gates, but a point of contact may still be Pima College in Tucson. At one time they gave guided tours and may still have a point of contact for an individual's access.

Another interesting little community is Steins, on I-10 on the New Mexico side of the Arizona border. It was a railroad construction community, but the last time I was there it was occupied. Most of the residents were "artist" and "hippies" and I don't mean that to be derogatory, only descriptive. You will also find them in most of the "occupied ghost towns".

Good luck and good hunting. I wish I could go with you and be your guide! Dad and I spent many, many wonderful days rambling around Arizona, especially south of Tucson.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:01 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,386,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62mike View Post
I was thinking about a quick trip to AZ just for the purpose of photographing an abandoned ghost town. I may also use a local model as well. Can anyone tell me where the best abandoned ghost towns are located? Or perhaps the greatest concentration....you know bang for my buck on a quick trip.

I would be flying in so which ever city was closest would be best.

Also, safety. Is that a concern? I assume many of these towns are in remote locations.

Thanks for any suggestions.
62mike you mentioned safety and I don't think any of us addressed that subject. Dad and I had no problems, but we had the good judgment to "back off" when we got into a questionable situation (which we did a couple of times). Also, even then we made a point to never travel alone "back in the brush". I don't know how it is now, but I still advise to not travel alone.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:50 AM

29 posts, read 85,842 times
arizona, if not in big city is a non forgiving country, everything bites, pokes, or sticks, and no one can hear you scream in the desert that is why you can carry a gun, water and food and warm clothes would be good also, don,t go out alone, be prepared.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:38 PM

28 posts, read 69,117 times
Have you tried downtown Phoenix after 6PM weekdays or on the weekend?

Old 12-07-2009, 01:17 PM

29 posts, read 85,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff-man View Post
Have you tried downtown Phoenix after 6PM weekdays or on the weekend?
heard that... another good reason to carry a gun.

Old 05-08-2021, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 306 times
A great new book just got published on Amazon about Two Guns, a ghost town between Winslow and Flagstaff.
Check it out: bit.ly/TwoGuns1Mile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona