Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer...
Jakarta 50 43.48%
Manila 65 56.52%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

Anyone spent a lot of time in both cities? How would you compare them, which do you prefer?

These two Asian megapolises are often ignored in the region in favour of Singapore, KL, Bangkok.

Jakarta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jakarta's metro area is the 2nd largest in the world, with 28 million people! 10 million Indonesians live in the city limits.

Manila - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Manila has a huge 21 million in it's metro, similar to NY's MSA! I had no idea it was so populous, it's really boomed.

Compare in aspects like geography, climate, built environment, architecture, aesthetics, poverty, dining/food, shopping, culture, entertainment, nightlife, safety, nearby natural attractions, history.etc.

Which is better for visiting?

Which is better for living?

Are the cities demographically much different?

Last edited by Trimac20; 01-18-2013 at 07:55 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 07:26 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
THey are both crazy places. I mean, fantastic nightlife, but both with a rough edge on them, that you really want to be on guard.

They both have a ton of shopping malls, western everything..i.e. fastfood outlets and everything else. They both have bookstores everywhere.

This one I really couldn't decide.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 PM

The nightlife, I assume, caters more for locals. Are there any mega-clubs there like Ministry of Sound or the like?

Would you say Manila is the more dangerous of the two? Have you spent much time in either and what were your experiences?

Old 01-18-2013, 07:51 PM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,269,195 times
Haven't been to Manila yet, but Jakarta gave me a good impression on my visit there. However, residents told me life is like a hell living there haha. Depends on which perspective you're looking at. For a tourist, I was pretty impressed as I didn't expect this suffocated city to be so green as well (all those plants on the skyways, streets etc are all lush and trimmed!). The shopping malls, imo, blew away all those in bangkok, kl, and singapore. no joke.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:56 PM

I was going to say, one thing I think of is both cities have huge shopping malls. Singapore doesn't have anything as huge. Other than that both seem very cogested, with slums and a big divide between rich/poor, e.g. gated communities.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,751,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Anyone spent a lot of time in both cities? How would you compare them, which do you prefer?

These two Asian megapolises are often ignored in the region in favour of Singapore, KL, Bangkok.

Jakarta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jakarta's metro area is the 2nd largest in the world, with 28 million people! 10 million Indonesians live in the city limits.

Manila - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Manila has a huge 21 million in it's metro, similar to NY's MSA! I had no idea it was so populous, it's really boomed.

Compare in aspects like geography, climate, built environment, architecture, aesthetics, poverty, dining/food, shopping, culture, entertainment, nightlife, safety, nearby natural attractions, history.etc.

Which is better for visiting?

Which is better for living?

Are the cities demographically much different?
Technically Manila has 12 million in the metro and only 1.6 million in the city. But Manila is a little different because the National Capital Region (synonymous with Metro Manila) as a whole acts as the capital city. But since Metro Manila is just considered the NCR, the surrounding areas outside of the NCR (still very much part of the metropolitan area) are not usually considered part of the metro area. But Metro Manila & Jakarta city limits are very comparable because they have about the same population and population density (both slightly higher in Manila)

Just throwing that out there because a lot of people dont know, and they think the whole city only has 1.6 million with just the few tall buildings on the bay. That's Manila city by itself

Old 01-18-2013, 08:07 PM

46 posts, read 66,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Would you say Manila is the more dangerous of the two? Have you spent much time in either and what were your experiences?
I think, every country has its own danger, crimes and goodness. Both cities are located in an archipelago country. Both in south east Asia. Poll just specified in both capitals but as I look it as a country both places have rights to brag. They are both has its beauty because of its archipelago form. Blessed with beautiful beaches and surrounded with natures gift. In times of travelling, yes, you have to always take good care of your self.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:28 AM

30 posts, read 140,690 times
I think Manila is best for me.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:08 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,999,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by great_john View Post
I think Manila is best for me.
Manila is the best place to get mugged

I wouldnt even send my worst enemy to manila...

Jakarta is better

Old 01-26-2013, 05:22 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,972,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
Manila is the best place to get mugged

I wouldnt even send my worst enemy to manila...

Jakarta is better
Seriously?

Is it really that bad over there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia