Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 06:35 AM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times

Advertisements

Assuming you are able to stay a maximum of 90 days without a visa, at least with US, EU, and UK passports as that seems to be the standard for most citizens, if you could choose any three months of the year to living Japan each year and you can only pick those months, which ones would they be?

For me it would be February through May. February might be cold but it feels very dry and crisp, and gets the most snowfall. Then late March/early April is the cherry blossoms season, and May is when it starts warming up and has a lush green color, and just before the rainy season starts. This is in the Tokyo/Kanto region and pretty much most of Honshu as the weather may differ in other parts of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 05:44 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
For me, I don't mind hot and humid. I'm not a fan of winter though, and Japan housing has very poor insulation. In short, I don't want to be in Japan during any month when it is still cold. (An exception might be Sapporo which has well-insulated homes, I heard).

So for me, April/May/June, perhaps? Although I'm technically fine for any summer month. I do like that the beach culture starts June 1st, I believe. No one goes to the beach until the specific day, which I think is June 1st. So I'd want to be in Japan for that.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:46 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
I'd like to do winter as in the first three months of the year or so in Kyushu / Shikoku since it's a part of Japan I've never been to and it'd be quite warm compared to where I am in the US. What I've eaten of supposedly Kyushu / Fukuoka style dishes has also been quite appealing.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
For me, I don't mind hot and humid. I'm not a fan of winter though, and Japan housing has very poor insulation. In short, I don't want to be in Japan during any month when it is still cold. (An exception might be Sapporo which has well-insulated homes, I heard).

So for me, April/May/June, perhaps? Although I'm technically fine for any summer month. I do like that the beach culture starts June 1st, I believe. No one goes to the beach until the specific day, which I think is June 1st. So I'd want to be in Japan for that.
Japan's outdoor temperatures during winter aren't too bad, but as you mentioned inside the houses can feel pretty cold. However those kerosene heaters help make a room feel cozy. Also you're almost guaranteed to have a snow day to add to the beauty unlike where I live hasn't had a trace of snow in a few years, and is an eyesore.

If I had to pick full months instead of specific date to date within, I'd probably go with March/April/May. June actually isn't true summer yet as it's the rainy season. July is when it gets hot and has more of the summer culture like the festivals, fireworks, etc. and you start hearing the cicadas chirping, buzzing, and beeping. June is the peak of hydrangeas however.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:55 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times
Soon, digital nomads can apply for a six-month residency visa to live anywhere in Japan.

Old 02-15-2024, 06:00 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I lived in the Tokyo area for 2 years. I was in the Air Force at the time, and lived off base part of that time. I was shocked how inadequate the heating was in the Apts. There was none. I had to buy an electric heater and electric blankets. Winter was cold and several smaller snow storms. I had enough of the Apt after the first winter and moved on base.

I would say the best months would be Apr thru Jun. Those were the most comfortable months. Summer was hot and humid and like the lack of heat, I had no AC in that apt either. Maybe things are better now but I have a feeling not all that much.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 727 times
Japan is such a great place to visit I would recommend to anyone. It is however difficult to travel around because not many Japanese speak English but very different from any other country I have travelled to.

Old 02-16-2024, 12:07 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Funny you should ask this. I've been to Japan in March/April (Okinawa), July (Sasebo and Fukuoka), September/October (Yokosuka and Tokyo), and January/February (Tokyo). Over the last four months, I've spent about a month total in Japan, mostly for work but a few days on vacation as well (two weeks in Yokosuka and two weeks in Tokyo).

I greatly disliked July and September in Japan, and even October has too many hot days for me, so those months are out. January gets a little too chilly for me; I was there for two weeks last month and had to deal with some snow storms, and will be returning for a couple of days this week. That leaves probably March through May as the ideal times for me to be in Japan.

That said, I'd prefer to not spend three months of the year in Tokyo for various reasons

Old 02-26-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Funny you should ask this. I've been to Japan in March/April (Okinawa), July (Sasebo and Fukuoka), September/October (Yokosuka and Tokyo), and January/February (Tokyo). Over the last four months, I've spent about a month total in Japan, mostly for work but a few days on vacation as well (two weeks in Yokosuka and two weeks in Tokyo).

I greatly disliked July and September in Japan, and even October has too many hot days for me, so those months are out. January gets a little too chilly for me; I was there for two weeks last month and had to deal with some snow storms, and will be returning for a couple of days this week. That leaves probably March through May as the ideal times for me to be in Japan.

That said, I'd prefer to not spend three months of the year in Tokyo for various reasons
Was your work with the military/DOD by chance? Since you mentioned Sasebo and Yokosuka I'm familiar with them as having the Naval bases.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the hotter months and typhoon season. It really doesn't start looking/feeling like fall until November. In the Tokyo area the leaves actually peak around late November or even early December.

Old 02-26-2024, 08:02 AM

56 posts, read 34,223 times
Good question. I do love the winters in Sapporo and love roaming Sapporo late winter nights. Usually feels like I have the city to myself and its so quiet, clean, crisp air.

However, I do enjoy the Japanese summers. Yes, its brutal but the Japanese people seem more alive and happy during the summer, beautiful beaches, and things are just much more lively. So while I am someone who can adopt to any season, if we're speaking of Japan specifically, then I'd go with July-September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia