Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 03:53 PM

17 posts, read 12,077 times

Advertisements

Hello. My sister and I are traveling to Japan this spring for about 8 or 9 days and we are curious if anyone has any recommendations on sights that you considered "skippable," or simply "not worth it?"

I came across an interesting article that highlighted a few places that visitors to Japan were disappointed by, usually due to overcrowding, and offered a few alternatives. I was interested to see how others felt about some of the places they visited while in Japan and if they discovered any hidden gems or anything of that nature.

Many thanks for any advice you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2024, 11:25 PM

1,538 posts, read 866,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker3434 View Post
Hello. My sister and I are traveling to Japan this spring for about 8 or 9 days and we are curious if anyone has any recommendations on sights that you considered "skippable," or simply "not worth it?"

I came across an interesting article that highlighted a few places that visitors to Japan were disappointed by, usually due to overcrowding, and offered a few alternatives. I was interested to see how others felt about some of the places they visited while in Japan and if they discovered any hidden gems or anything of that nature.

The Meiji Shrine didn't wow me and it was crowded on a Saturday.

Old 01-09-2024, 02:14 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Nowhere at all that I would have skipped. Wonderful place to visit. I know four lots of people over there now (skiing) but it is great in all seasons.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:21 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
You can't go wrong anywhere in Japan. You can literally throw a dart at a map of Japan, go there, and you're going to have no shortage of beauty and culture to experience.

Old 01-15-2024, 05:01 PM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
I you were to skip anywhere in Japan I'd say cities like Kobe or Nagoya. I'm assuming you're flying into Tokyo so for 8-9 days you'll probably not leave the Tokyo Metro area. The city itself you can spend a few days in, and I recommend spending a day in Yokohama as well, and Kamakura. I also highly recommend Hakone for a day. If you do make it outside the metro then I recommend Nikko if you have time, and Kyoto is an experience if you've never been and it's about two hours by bullet train. Only it is crowded especially during certain seasons.

Old 01-16-2024, 07:03 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Pretty much, there’s nothing to skip in Japan. It’s a wonderful country with plenty to see and do, as a visitor. I would suggest (previous poster mentioned it) taking the bullet train (“Shinkansen”) to Osaka (just under 3 hours travel time, one way from Tokyo) and visit Osaka. It’s a long round trip, a stay in Osaka is suggested.

Experiencing the efficiency and service of a ride on the bullet train is a great experience. Along the journey, you’ll see the countryside and rural areas, which are very scenic.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:49 PM

408 posts, read 997,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker3434 View Post

What are your interests or dislikes?

I've lived in Tokyo for the last 7 or so years, and have traveled to every prefectures except one (my 2024 goal!). These reflect only personal interests and values, and without a doubt I'm sure people will disagree and even argue or feel slighted by my list. However, this is just me! Knowing your interests, willingness, etc., I may change my suggestions!

Personally...

Osaka --> This is probably a controversial opinion, but I find that everything you can do in Osaka can be found in Tokyo -- I would not go out of my way to see Osaka or hang out there. Dotonbori is unique, as is Universal Studios Japan (USJ) and the rebuilt castle, but beyond that I don't care to see more. Day trips are better in Osaka, however, compared to Tokyo IMHO. Do you like USJ? Go there then.

Akihabara --> I am not interested in electronics. I find the abura soba (no broth ramen) restaurants good there, though.

Odaiba --> I dislike artificial, manufactured entertainment areas, and this one takes the cake for me. They have interesting things there, I suppose, but I don't know, I don't value any of them. The walk on the Rainbow Bridge to and from Odaiba though, I valued and would recommend... But, who recommends bridge walks to tourists? Idk. Up to you to see if it's worth it.

Ginza --> Do you like shopping? Do you care? This is mostly it, and a few museums.

Chureito Pagoda --> you can find views of Fuji mostly anywhere once you're there, and going out of your way for this I do not value.

Miyazaki city, Aomori city, Niigata city --> mostly dull unless you have a specific reason to go there IMHO.

Okinawa --> this one is highly controversial, but unless you have a driver's license, you will rely on buses and see WW2 sites, an aquarium, and some other random things that honestly, you can find cheaper elsewhere. However, I had an amazing time snorkeling there, and the vibe is pretty chill -- Ryukyu culture is present there if you are into it. Are you into beaches? Do you like sand? Go there then.

Toyama --> I just went there, and while I enjoyed my time, I wouldn't go out of my way to see this as a new tourist city. "It exists".

Skytree (paid entrance), Tokyo Tower (paid entrance), Shibuya Sky (paid entrance), Shinjuku Metro Towers (free), Carrot Tower (free) --> take your pic, your budget, and your willingness. Tokyo Tower is iconic however. Type in 展望台 (tenboudai = observatory) to see what you fancy.

I disagree with a poster above about Kobe and Nagoya. In Kobe, you can spend two or so days to see the herbal garden, hike to Mt. Maya and see the night view of Kansai, visit the earthquake museum, have that famous Kobe beef (lunch), and see their water front. I value those, but it's not everyone's cup of tea, which is fine! Likewise, I enjoyed my time in Nagoya due to their three Toyota museums, Shinkansen museum, and I like the miso specialty products to dine on while there. If you seek such activities and places, then sure, Nagoya and Kobe are OK. Otherwise, I can see why a poster may include these cities as "skippable".

I can write for longer, but that would be tedious and likely inflame some people, lol. If you'd like more information or suggestions, please send me a DM! Cheers! Hope you have a good time in Japanland.

Old 01-17-2024, 11:30 AM

1,202 posts, read 789,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerio View Post
What are your interests or dislikes?

I've lived in Tokyo for the last 7 or so years, and have traveled to every prefectures except one (my 2024 goal!). These reflect only personal interests and values, and without a doubt I'm sure people will disagree and even argue or feel slighted by my list. However, this is just me! Knowing your interests, willingness, etc., I may change my suggestions!

Personally...

Osaka --> This is probably a controversial opinion, but I find that everything you can do in Osaka can be found in Tokyo -- I would not go out of my way to see Osaka or hang out there. Dotonbori is unique, as is Universal Studios Japan (USJ) and the rebuilt castle, but beyond that I don't care to see more. Day trips are better in Osaka, however, compared to Tokyo IMHO. Do you like USJ? Go there then.

Akihabara --> I am not interested in electronics. I find the abura soba (no broth ramen) restaurants good there, though.

Odaiba --> I dislike artificial, manufactured entertainment areas, and this one takes the cake for me. They have interesting things there, I suppose, but I don't know, I don't value any of them. The walk on the Rainbow Bridge to and from Odaiba though, I valued and would recommend... But, who recommends bridge walks to tourists? Idk. Up to you to see if it's worth it.

Ginza --> Do you like shopping? Do you care? This is mostly it, and a few museums.

Chureito Pagoda --> you can find views of Fuji mostly anywhere once you're there, and going out of your way for this I do not value.

Miyazaki city, Aomori city, Niigata city --> mostly dull unless you have a specific reason to go there IMHO.

Okinawa --> this one is highly controversial, but unless you have a driver's license, you will rely on buses and see WW2 sites, an aquarium, and some other random things that honestly, you can find cheaper elsewhere. However, I had an amazing time snorkeling there, and the vibe is pretty chill -- Ryukyu culture is present there if you are into it. Are you into beaches? Do you like sand? Go there then.

Toyama --> I just went there, and while I enjoyed my time, I wouldn't go out of my way to see this as a new tourist city. "It exists".

Skytree (paid entrance), Tokyo Tower (paid entrance), Shibuya Sky (paid entrance), Shinjuku Metro Towers (free), Carrot Tower (free) --> take your pic, your budget, and your willingness. Tokyo Tower is iconic however. Type in 展望台 (tenboudai = observatory) to see what you fancy.

I disagree with a poster above about Kobe and Nagoya. In Kobe, you can spend two or so days to see the herbal garden, hike to Mt. Maya and see the night view of Kansai, visit the earthquake museum, have that famous Kobe beef (lunch), and see their water front. I value those, but it's not everyone's cup of tea, which is fine! Likewise, I enjoyed my time in Nagoya due to their three Toyota museums, Shinkansen museum, and I like the miso specialty products to dine on while there. If you seek such activities and places, then sure, Nagoya and Kobe are OK. Otherwise, I can see why a poster may include these cities as "skippable".

I can write for longer, but that would be tedious and likely inflame some people, lol. If you'd like more information or suggestions, please send me a DM! Cheers! Hope you have a good time in Japanland.
I concur with Kobe - I actually like Kobe more than Osaka - less crowded, harborfront is pleasant, views from Mt Maya is worth the trek, and yes, Kobe beef.

For Nagoya - just eat a meal of hitsumabushi, visit the Toyota museums, then move on. Not even Japanese want to visit Nagoya anyway.

For Osaka - it's all about the food there. The city is meh (I've been there many times) but compare to Tokyo, much easier to navigate. Well, I will say skip Kuromon Market - overpriced, full of tourists that don't know better, and you can get better food just going into random stores all around Osaka.

Old 01-17-2024, 01:34 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
My favorite city on Japan was Sapporo. Beautifully laid out, close to nature, and utterly unlike southern Japan. It reminded me of the Pacific Northwest in the summer, but if you can take the cold, go in the winter when they have their famous Snow Festival.

Old 01-17-2024, 01:41 PM

3,524 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Depends on your interest/likes

Lived there for 4 years.... If it's your first time I can't think of a single spot that I'd say is "skippable" due to the cultural shock alone. I'd assume you'll be flying into Tokyo which in by itself has nigh on limitless spots and things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia