Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 03:23 PM

32 posts, read 75,478 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at a possible job in North East Atlanta. The Chamblee area.

I have never been to Atlanta but have heard very good things.

I am a recently single mom with two toddler boys.

My budget for a house will be around $200k.

What would be a good area to look in?
What areas have good preschools, and then good public schools

I am looking for a community. I love the idea of block parties, and getting to know other moms. Somewhere with good values that is safe for kids.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 03:36 PM

Would Lawrenceville be a good option? Is Marietta too far to commute?

Also what kind of politics are in the area? I am a middle of the road Liberal, Christian. Will we fit in?
Thanks!

Old 09-01-2010, 03:38 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagona View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at a possible job in North East Atlanta. The Chamblee area.

I have never been to Atlanta but have heard very good things.

I am a recently single mom with two toddler boys.

My budget for a house will be around $200k.

What would be a good area to look in?
What areas have good preschools, and then good public schools

I am looking for a community. I love the idea of block parties, and getting to know other moms. Somewhere with good values that is safe for kids.

Thanks
Moving to Doraville or Chamblee- wanting to know some area specifics
https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...know-some.html

Northwoods neighborhood in Doraville: Possible "historic" status
https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ic-status.html

Chamblee, GA - Locations
Chamblee, GA - Locations

You might use these parks as a starting point to find appropriate housing in Chamblee. I believe Clairmont Park is located across from the Chamblee Library and there are some nice little houses for rent in this subdivision--older--40's/50's I'd say.
Sort of 'Brookhaven'---Ashford Park elementary is a good school. Find its attendance area and search for housing in this vicinity. Close to Chamblee and Brookhaven MARTA stations.

ETA: An apt complex in the Dunwoody/Perimeter area.
Ashford Park Apartment in Dunwoody

Contact Pro Move apt locator service>>
Atlanta Apartments for Rent in GA | PROMOVE

Old 09-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Would Lawrenceville be a good option? Is Marietta too far to commute?

Also what kind of politics are in the area? I am a middle of the road Liberal, Christian. Will we fit in?
Thanks!
Marietta/NW Atlanta.

Lawrenceville/NE Atlanta.

I don't think you need to be overly concerned about politics etc.

Yes, if you are going to commute to 'NE Atlanta'--?perhaps the Emory/N. Decatur area--Marietta and Lawrenceville are too far away.

I would suggest searching in zipcodes 30329 and 30033--Emory/N.Decatur. There is a poster that is knowledgeable of these areas--Intown Homes---you could DM her--perhaps she will see your thread.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ur-dekalb.html

The Ashford Park Elementary School area of Chamblee/Brookhaven would be good--other areas are more transitional.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 09-01-2010 at 03:54 PM..

Old 09-01-2010, 03:54 PM

Thanks. I have been reading those.

My place of employment would be right along the 85. I have no idea what typical commute times are like in Atlanta, but would love to keep it under 20 min if possible.

I am mostly concerned about safe, friendly areas right now, and trying to get an idea of what these areas are like.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I have been reading those.

My place of employment would be right along the 85. I have no idea what typical commute times are like in Atlanta, but would love to keep it under 20 min if possible.

I am mostly concerned about safe, friendly areas right now, and trying to get an idea of what these areas are like.
along I85-do any of these streets sound familiar--Shallowford Rd, Chamblee-Tucker Rd,Buford Highway, Clairmont Rd, Peachtree Industrial Blvd?

Be as specific as possible--I know this area well and I am confused.

Chamblee--is not as safe in general as the Emory/N.Decatur area. You might find housing in your price range somewhere between Northlake Mall and Tucker. hth

Old 09-01-2010, 04:03 PM

Chamblee-Tucker Rd.

Is Atlanta that spread out that it would make a big difference? When I am looking at maps and communities, they only seem to be 5-10 miles away. Am I missing something?

Thank you so much! I will look at Emory/N. Decatur, as well as Tucker.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Chamblee-Tucker Rd.

Is Atlanta that spread out that it would make a big difference? When I am looking at maps and communities, they only seem to be 5-10 miles away. Am I missing something?

Thank you so much! I will look at Emory/N. Decatur, as well as Tucker.
Yes, Atlanta is the poster child for urban sprawl. Intown areas vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. I live between North Druid Hills and Clairmont--30329---about 5-10 minutes from Chamblee/Buford Highway corridor--lots of different communities in this area. Briarcliff Rd---from Clairmont to La Vista--homes from ? $300,000--some less now--to $1,000,000's---Tucker would be less--Briarcliff/La Vista--Northlake Mall. La Vista goes into Tucker--Chamblee-Tucker is nearby.
You will find more in your price range in the Tucker area. Henderson Mill Rd/Chamblee Tucker. Livsey Elementary/DeKalb County School District. Briar Vista Elementary--Shallowford Rd/La Vista Rd. Many choices for preschool/childcare in this area.
http://www.trulia.com/GA/Tucker/30084/

Intown Homes really could give some good suggestions.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ur-dekalb.html

Scroll down to post #10 and click on her screen name --send a DM.

http://www.intownhomes247.com/

ETA: The McLendon Elementary School area/North DeKalb Mall/DeKalb Medical Center area--part of zipcode 30033 is another option. Lawrenceville Hwy--goes toward Tucker/Northlake Mall.

I'm not certain any map could provide the most accurate picture of metro Atlanta. Lawrenceville is about 15-20 miles from Tucker, FWIW. You could consider Lawrenceville--there would be significant traffic AM and PM.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 09-01-2010 at 04:47 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 10:56 PM

5 posts, read 7,659 times
Default Same here....

I have posted a thread and no response yet.. I was also looking in to moving from North Carolina to the Dunwoody or Sandysprings area..Undesided trying to get as close to the Art Institute of Alanta as possible. Currently majoring in Culinary here in NC and want relocate to get my bachelors. Singlemom of four... 2 girl ages 11 and 8 and 2 boys ages 5 and 10 months. So can you please keep me posted on excellent public schools, daycares ( EVERYONE) family oriented neighborhoods that are safe, free of crime and drugs,,thank you and good luck to you also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta