Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 04:30 PM

644 posts, read 1,435,308 times

Advertisements

Top News

Just when I thought Atlanta couldn't get any better!!

This is a start to putting Atlanta on an even better plateau....I think this is what Atlanta needs as the economy starts to recover eventually.......make downtown even better.
Revitalize the most important part of any city.....its downtown....Atlanta will continue to solidfy its position as the Capital of the South if Atlanta was to develop its downtown....and make it more modern with new developments and more energy..

What would you guys invision this could possibly do for Atlanta?? Can't wait to be back after the new year.!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:31 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,546,483 times
I've noticed all the unused space and abandoned lots around downtown. I'm all for increasing the appeal of downtown because it seriously needs it. It's downright depressing in a lot of spots for a city of Atlanta's size and considering the cities history. I wouldn't mind some of this land being converted into small parks.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:52 PM

32 posts, read 78,194 times
I'm all for parks as long as they contain provisions to keep them from becoming bum camps.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:27 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,414,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I've noticed all the unused space and abandoned lots around downtown. I'm all for increasing the appeal of downtown because it seriously needs it. It's downright depressing in a lot of spots for a city of Atlanta's size and considering the cities history. I wouldn't mind some of this land being converted into small parks.

Since you work Downtown, please suggest some places that you consider prime spots for this type of thing.

I worked down there years ago, and I'm truly interested in your thoughts.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:37 PM

They aren't exactly abandoned lots but I think a few parking lots should be gotten rid of or combined into a garage around Peachtree Center and the GP center and turned into small parks. They could probably even charge more for garage parking than open lots. I doubt that will ever happen though. I'm not working dt anymore but I had to walk from Peachtree Center all the way down to Woodruff Park to eat lunch in a park. That's about a 10 minute walk each way which is a good chunk of the average office drone's lunch break. You'd think they'd have a decent sized park closer to where so many people work downtown.

I'm not sure where all the abandoned or unused lots are but I'm sure at least a few may work as what I'm suggesting.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
They aren't exactly abandoned lots but I think a few parking lots should be gotten rid of or combined into a garage around Peachtree Center and the GP center and turned into small parks. They could probably even charge more for garage parking than open lots. I doubt that will ever happen though. I'm not working dt anymore but I had to walk from Peachtree Center all the way down to Woodruff Park to eat lunch in a park. That's about a 10 minute walk each way which is a good chunk of the average office drone's lunch break. You'd think they'd have a decent sized park closer to where so many people work downtown.

I'm not sure where all the abandoned or unused lots are but I'm sure at least a few may work as what I'm suggesting.
I can totally relate. I've worked in the GP tower, Peachtree Center and later at the Federal Reserve on Marietta St.

My favorite spots were always Woodruff Park, the roof of the Merchandise Mart (back when you could access it) and the hidden pockets on the plaza level of Peachtree Center. At the Fed, I fell in love with Broad St.

Maybe we should be future partners in an urban planning capacity?

Old 11-04-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I can totally relate. I've worked in the GP tower, Peachtree Center and later at the Federal Reserve on Marietta St.

My favorite spots were always Woodruff Park, the roof of the Merchandise Mart (back when you could access it) and the hidden pockets on the plaza level of Peachtree Center. At the Fed, I fell in love with Broad St.

Maybe we should be future partners in an urban planning capacity?
Only if you let me blow up the models after we get our projects approved. Either that or let me use them to make a new generation of Godzilla movies.

That Merchandise Mart roof sounds interesting. I guess they had a few "incidents?" Broad St is ok but I worked 2nd shift for a while and I took lunch around 8. Everything except the Landmark Diner closes at 7(Moe's may be 8). It's kind of frustrating when you're left with a crappy McD's and overpriced tourist restaurants to choose from.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Only if you let me blow up the models after we get our projects approved. Either that or let me use them to make a new generation of Godzilla movies.

That Merchandise Mart roof sounds interesting. I guess they had a few "incidents?" Broad St is ok but I worked 2nd shift for a while and I took lunch around 8. Everything except the Landmark Diner closes at 7(Moe's may be 8). It's kind of frustrating when you're left with a crappy McD's and overpriced tourist restaurants to choose from.
See, now I can imagine your displeasure with the area working those hours.

Being able to access everything during traditional lunch hours was absolutely WONDERFUL! It was alive, vibrant and extremely interesting on a daily basis. We had access to so many things to eat, do and see.

I really can't imagine how dead it must be for you, and I apologize for not understanding that.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:03 AM

969 posts, read 1,964,691 times
Downtown Atlanta has so much potential. I think the CID street/sidewalk beautification projects will help, and yes, so will the evil streetcar project (which will also include street/sidewalk upgrades). The Civil Rights Museum and the other museums planned for the area, the expansion of Georgia State, and the new multi-modal station will also help. The revitalization of Underground is important too. It's old and ugly, and should be demolished and rebuilt as something else.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:42 AM

23,585 posts, read 44,333,197 times
Fairlie-Poplar is a neighborhood that is unique to the city, and about as 'urban' as it can get here. I would love to see its' fortunes continue to rise. Also, that large parking lot at Wall and Pryor Sts. would make a dynamite park.

downtown atlanta map - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: