Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:00 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,365 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm originally from Atlanta, joined the military 4 yrs ago and have only taken a couple of trips since I joined and everytime I go back the skyline seems to change. I just want to know if there are any new ones going up anytime soon or under construction for sure. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 03:08 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,962 times
There is midrise hotel in Midtown (12 stories) which is currently under construction. And I think an office tower or two for Cox up in Perimeter.

And that's it, to my knowledge.

There are two ~20 story apartment towers proposed in Midtown, as well as two midrise medical office buildings (next to Grady and Piedmont, respectively). And a new medical tower next to the main Emory hospital (not sure about height).

But I don't think any of this stuff is under construction yet.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:59 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,485 times
Condo next to Atlanta fish market in buckhead is being built plus the project at 13th.and w peachtree is being worked on

Old 08-30-2011, 07:04 PM

538 posts, read 925,822 times
Good Lord, I hope not.....the existing inventory is scary enough and condo/office space prices are down. I think the Class 'A' Campanile Building at Peachtree and Fourteenth is like 40% occupied.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:20 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,365 times
Ok northwinds thanks for you're contribution.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:07 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,295 times
I actually agree with northwinds for a change. I think we have enough tall buildings to do us for a decade or more. I'd like to see more low rise, or maybe mid-rise, infill and maybe some shuttered buildings in the city revitalized and put to work. I think the Ponce City Market might spur more of that.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:27 AM

368 posts, read 539,188 times
Also a 12 story office building under construction on Buford Hwy near Chamblee Tucker Dr.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:58 PM

166 posts, read 325,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I actually agree with northwinds for a change. I think we have enough tall buildings to do us for a decade or more. I'd like to see more low rise, or maybe mid-rise, infill and maybe some shuttered buildings in the city revitalized and put to work. I think the Ponce City Market might spur more of that.
+1. I think we've had enough speculative high-rise building in Atlanta for a while. Some infill low-to-mid rise stuff would be great. From what I've read, it's been difficult to get anything financed that wasn't a mega tower for the past decade or so. I'll assume the recession has put an end to that restriction.

I'm encouraged by the success (as far as I can tell anyway) of the Pencil Factory lofts/stores and also the series of similar mixed-use buildings on Highland Avenue near Inman Park. Those could serve as a model not only for future multi-family development but also for office space.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:00 PM

188 posts, read 297,154 times
Lots of stuff planned for Cumberland (NW perimeter). According to Wikipedia:

Cumberland, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Riverwood 200: At the corner of Cumberland Blvd and Cobb Parkway. 360 residential units and also a large amount of office and retail space including a 16 story office tower as an extension of the already existing Riverwood 100 complex. Ground has already broken on Riverwood. The project is led by Seven Oaks Company LLC and GE Asset Management. Architect is HOK.

Park Vinings: Originally planned to be 110 $1 million + condo units, recent zoning submissions indicates that the change in the housing market and the currently saturated condo market in Atlanta has resulted in plans being changed for this property to house a 33 story retirement community with increased density than the original plans.

Two mid-rise towers overlooking I-75 by Grove Street Partners LLC just south of the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre. One 18 and one 15 floor tower are approved by Cobb County.

Phase 2 of Overton Park owned by Hines Interests and being developed by Madison Retail LLC to add 60 condominium units and retail shops

Galleria: Day Capital Partners purchased 3 acres (12,000 m2) for $8.7 million directly adjoining the Cobb Galleria for future projects after 2010 when the current land lease runs out for the stores located on that property. The projects will likely include mixed retail/residential.

Crescent Ridge: 20-story office building and plaza on Cumberland Blvd next to the highway
2555 Cumberland: Two eight story office buildings overlooking 285 by the Shailendra Group.
My guess is that the low taxes of unincorporated Cobb County make Cumberland an attractive place for businesses, and coupled with the convenient location (junction of I-75/I-285), we may be seeing a NW-perimeter boom.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:03 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,729 times
This is great information -- thanks for posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta