Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 04:26 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
You might want to pump your brakes on that assumption because that's is far from the truth. Unless you are black or a person who actually socializes with a large multitude of black people on a daily basis on a professional and personal level then you cannot make that assumption at all.

The point he made after that one said it all lol. I don't know anyone that clueless but i'mg oing to stop before I get hit with the personal attack thing again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 12:13 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
No disrespect to your view, but there is an alternate view of gentrification that exists out there.
You do agree that gentrification is displacing lower-income residents, right?

Old 07-11-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
This I stock photography and quickly glancing at the photo it has enough variation that you'd have to go out of your way looking for a person of color to realize that there aren't any.

The quote above and this controversy along with the last few years of how the term racism is being applied has led me to conclude that:

The number one perpetuator of race as a dividing factor is the black community itself.

I don't believe that white children are or taught to see race as a issue at all.

And I do believe that minority children are at least subconsciously taught to be wary of white people who probably are looking down on them.

If this was brochure was about a project in a gay neighborhood and the photo showed breeder couples with baby strollers I probably wouldn't notice the irony.

The above quoted whining statement is BS, if the neighborhoods were so special or valued they should have maintained them better.

It doesn't cost anything to pick up all the trash strewn along Boulevard or MLK all the way to Six Flags.

And property owners weren't forced to sell to the evil gentrifiers anyway.

Just another excuse to complain and blame everyone else even when there's no problem at all.
Please just stop.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:57 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
It's more complicated than that. Gentrification doesn't displace people. It's simply a neighborhood getting "hot" and popular, and people moving in. Generally, this is a good thing. It means new residents and revitalization of downtrodden neighborhoods. It usually means improvement of local schools, police services, and new businesses.

Of course, it also means home prices rise. For lower income residents, they can choose to stay in their home in a newly resurging neighborhood and enjoy the decrease in crime and "cleaning up" of public spaces....or they can sell. If they choose to sell, they do so by their own choice and sell at a price way more than they could have ever imagined.

This idea that gentrification is some mass program where residents are literally ripped from their homes, which are then steamrolled and replaced by coffee shops, is ridiculous. The vast majority of complaints about gentrification I hear are not from the supposed "victims" but from other people who have decided to virtue signal on their behalf.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:19 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
It's more complicated than that. Gentrification doesn't displace people. It's simply a neighborhood getting "hot" and popular, and people moving in. Generally, this is a good thing. It means new residents and revitalization of downtrodden neighborhoods. It usually means improvement of local schools, police services, and new businesses.

Of course, it also means home prices rise. For lower income residents, they can choose to stay in their home in a newly resurging neighborhood and enjoy the decrease in crime and "cleaning up" of public spaces....or they can sell. If they choose to sell, they do so by their own choice and sell at a price way more than they could have ever imagined.

This idea that gentrification is some mass program where residents are literally ripped from their homes, which are then steamrolled and replaced by coffee shops, is ridiculous. The vast majority of complaints about gentrification I hear are not from the supposed "victims" but from other people who have decided to virtue signal on their behalf.
Well stated.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:06 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,352,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post

Gentrification and Displacement are two totally different things.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
It's more complicated than that. Gentrification doesn't displace people.
Yes it does! Yes it does, Forhall.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:41 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,179 times
It happens everywhere, and not just to lower income people. My solidly middle class family has lived in Boston since the 1860's and we got priced out. It's happening in many cities, ours included. Its not fair, but that is life. I prefer to take tsp of sugar with it and think..its a good thing to leave one's little corner of the earth for new places and people, imo. I know it isn't easy.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:51 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I mean, this is what everyone on here is pushing for Atlanta to become from what it seems. Get rid of all the historic black neighborhoods, raise the price 2 or 3 times over, build a couple of breweries and hipster bars, bike lanes and push the black people out to the suburbs isnt it? I mean you see it in every other post on here now without folks actually coming out and saying it.
Bike lanes have nothing to do with displacement. They are used by riders of all race, socioeconomic class, etc. They are infrastructure. Thought like this is why The City of Atlanta installed a great, high quality tow-way, protected cycle track on Westview Dr using grants from REI and People for Bikes; then torn out a section of it because of a politically connected church.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:04 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Bike lanes have nothing to do with displacement. They are used by riders of all race, socioeconomic class, etc. They are infrastructure. Thought like this is why The City of Atlanta installed a great, high quality tow-way, protected cycle track on Westview Dr using grants from REI and People for Bikes; then torn out a section of it because of a politically connected church.
The idea that bike lanes are strictly for white people is absolutely disgusting and anyone who subscribes to that belief is an ignorant moron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta