Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 07:17 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,705,104 times

Advertisements

Quoting Brent Lane a University of North Carolina professor of economics whose specialty is studying economic development strategies there is this: "When the world has a health problem, we think of Atlanta for a solution."

The project is said to be modeled on the successful example of Technology Square in Midtown which has been a boosting godsend to Atlanta's tech sector via the access that development has given the Fortune 500 business world (think NCR for example) to the research talent pool centered on Georgia Tech.

Does this have the potential to be "The next big thing" for Atlanta as the AJC piece puts it?

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...4NVxuwg5WIAuL/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 09:10 AM

1,180 posts, read 986,717 times
It could be the next big thing but I'm not sure it should be "intown". Emory University Hospital and the CDC aren't in Midtown. Midtown is an excellent place but the big healthcare players that have the means to be innovative are located elsewhere. The hub should closer to the CDC.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:02 AM

In view of the very recent spate of major tech leasing activity in Midtown and the other thread titled, "Tech is about to boom in Midtown", I'll remind everyone of the linked bit of tantalizing & potentially huge news for Midtown & Atlanta I originally posted in February.
Microsoft still has not confirmed whether or not they will be a participant in this project. Whether or not they do and if it goes,this "hub for health innovation/preparedness" is reminiscent of the moves that business & government made in Atlanta in the 1950's & 1960's that propelled Atlanta to it's current status as the capitol of the Southeast.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...4NVxuwg5WIAuL/

Old 05-17-2020, 10:04 AM

11,848 posts, read 8,055,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
It could be the next big thing but I'm not sure it should be "intown". Emory University Hospital and the CDC aren't in Midtown. Midtown is an excellent place but the big healthcare players that have the means to be innovative are located elsewhere. The hub should closer to the CDC.
What about Downtown Decatur?

Old 05-17-2020, 10:07 AM

Default Plans are said to be on tap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
What about Downtown Decatur?
Wherever it goes if it does, immediately adjacent access to Marta rail is a vital consideration that has to be central to the plans.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:54 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,953,288 times
There have been rumblings that this is part of Emory's major expansion in Midtown. They are barely getting started on this, but the under construction Winship Cancer tower complex and their massive new parking deck are supposedly just the beginning. There is a ton of behind the scenes planning going on, including somehow incorporating The Stitch freeway cap that has been proposed. These are exciting times for Atlanta, and Midtown in particular.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:38 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,833,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Wherever it goes if it does, immediately adjacent access to Marta rail is a vital consideration that has to be central to the plans.
Well, you don't want researchers using public transportation in the middle of a global pandemic, do you?

Maybe I am not understanding the issue.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:46 AM

11,848 posts, read 8,055,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, you don't want researchers using public transportation in the middle of a global pandemic, do you?

The Pandemic wont last forever. We still need to future proof high profile employment hubs near adequate transit. Transit implementation and improvements will take a hit for the foreseeable future but it will be back in demand when America is back on its feet again and urban roads are once again crowded... it may be some time before that happens, but this is still a temporary situation.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:29 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,480,532 times
I thought thIs was the whole point of the Emory Proton Center that everyone complained about.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:06 AM

Default Plans are said to be on tap..

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

I was and still am looking long term, arjay, not short term. There will be life in whatever form (altered or not really much altered) after Covid 19 and we had better be planning for it.

I think it's a given that going forward metro Atlanta is best served going when major nodes of development are sited near comparatively intense levels of mass transit availability, and hopefully in this case if it does come to fruition, near Marta rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta