Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 11:31 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,262,660 times

Advertisements

I didn't mean to say Decatur didn't have good parks. I only meant that CP has a pretty large park for such a small neighborhood and it's not overrun by outsiders (like Grant Park).

Lake Claire has the Land Trust (I think Oakhurst has one, too, or maybe it's just the community garden).

I should note that the vibe from all these neighborhoods is very similar. They don't smack each other down. More like they hold hands and skip while singing "You are My Sunshine"....
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 11:39 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
More like they hold hands and skip while singing "You are My Sunshine"....
If that ever happens here, I'm moving

Old 05-07-2008, 02:53 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,588 times
I'll speak to schools. Candler Park is Mary Lin, Inman and Grady. Decatur is Clairmont, Oakhurst or Winnona .. then Glennwood Academy then Renfroe then Decatur High.

Pedagogy.... Candler Park's schools are more traditional. I believe that Mary Lin is still a Core Learning School (right p-less?). Decatur schools are more nontraditional. Their K-3 schools are Expeditionary Learning Schools and grades 4-12 are in various stages of becoming International Baccalaureate Schools.

I would visit Mary Lin and some of the Decatur elementaries to see which feels best to you. Also I would google Core Learning, Expeditionary Learning and International Baccalaureate to see which pedagogy appeals to you. Achievement-wise - their test scores are very similar so it really is a matter of taste - whatever floats your boat or wherever you find a house you like best.

Commuting from Decatur versus Candler will add 5-10 minutes to your commute depending on where you live in Decatur.

Lucky you - you are making a decision where you can't go wrong! Welcome to the hoods!

OK, now, everyone stand up and sing Kumbaya.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:58 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,091,753 times
[quote=
OK, now, everyone stand up and sing Kumbaya.[/quote]

I don't know all the words!

I'd rather see a smackdown between Pless and Lovin'

(Just kidding)

Old 05-07-2008, 03:12 PM

Here's APS info on Mary Lin:

Atlanta Public Schools: School Profile (broken link)

APS doesn't use just one Comprehensive Reform Method. Each school chooses one. Mary Lin's is Core Knowledge but I believe, if I remember correctly from the beginning of the school year, they're changing over to another one (I forget which).

I've been happy with it.

I think the success of the school has more to do with parent involvement and that fancy pedagogy methods only really make an impact in poorer school districts.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:52 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post

I'd rather see a smackdown between Pless and Lovin'
Oh, c'mon, you and everybody in this forum know I got nothin but love for Ms P .

Old 05-07-2008, 06:55 PM

Back at you!

Nuthin but friendly rivalry....

Old 05-07-2008, 08:48 PM

90 posts, read 285,236 times
Fantastic info. THANK YOU. International Baccalaureate. Looks like I need a little schooling about schooling.

So...since I can't start a Decatur/Candler war, how about an intra-neighborhood squabble?

Winnona Park vs. Oakhurst
Lake Claire vs. Candler Park

From my limited observations on the weekends, this is my impression:

Winnona Park: more suburbanish and sweet, a throwback to a simpler time
Oakhurst: up and coming, with just a teensy touch of urban blight

I can't tell the diff. between Lake Claire and Candler Park except that there seem to be more hippies in LC. Even saw a listing for a commune on the MLS!

Is this about right?

Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,276,203 times
I love Candler Park, but I'd choose Decatur hands down any day.

Decatur is the absolutely perfect size to have absolutely everything you need. Candler Park's business district is disjointed and while they have a good number of restaurants, they're kinda iffy as far as shops. For that you have to go to L5P, which I don't find nearly as enjoyable as Downtown Decatur. Of course, that's just a matter of personal preference. I'm sure plenty of people enjoy L5P.

Both Decatur and Candler Park pay exorbitant property taxes, but the difference is that Decatur actually gets a lot of services for them. Candler Park gets both the City of Atlanta and DeKalb County fighting over who can offer the fewest services for the most money.

Decatur has an exceptionally nice variety of parks and a wonderful array of annual festivals and events (many of which take place in the downtown square).

I like the philosophy and direction of Decatur's school system as well.

It's just about the perfect place to live in Atlanta.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,276,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersocks View Post
I can't tell the diff. between Lake Claire and Candler Park except that there seem to be more hippies in LC. Even saw a listing for a commune on the MLS!

The biggest difference is proximity to the park and business district. The houses are virtually identical.

It's not a commune. It's co-housing. Lake Claire is also the home of the Land Trust (drum circles, a tree-climbing club, goats, definitely one of a kind).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta