Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 04:32 AM

23,486 posts, read 44,141,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
Exactly what I said…for *most* people in and around atl the parks(to include peidmont) are just not that impactful. Most people do not use them/it. Do some people? sure…but if I made a list of the 20 people I know/know of best in or around atl, 16 to 18 of these people either never use the parks or very rarely do and they aren’t impactful. Again this forum is going to disproportionately be into those things…and as I said sever Ansley park residents view peidmont as more of a negative than a positive because it brings some people into the area who otherwise wouldn’t be there….

Now I’m not saying parks a negative or bad or any of that; personally I don’t really care about them or think about them. Most people kind of view PP like one would view a daycare center if they don’t have kids
You have rendered me speechless...and the more inveterate posters on here would tell you that is a rare thing indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 05:05 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,111,655 times
Quote:
Yeah sure I know that, but I just don't consider parks a very big deal for the most part. for the most part they aren't impactful for large numbers of people. And generally the concern I have about parks is how often they are used for either various illegal activities(even if some of them are so called victimless crimes) and places that people from outside the area or the homeless use to loiter/panhandle....one could argue the property crime levels around ansley park and morningside(those parts with easy access to the park) are as high as they are due to the existence of piedmont park. I think it's certainly a factor.....
okay lets try this again

The beltline Is a projected that been in works now for over 20 years, You can not act new to Beltline project living in neighborhoods around beltline because neighborhoods npu leaders of every neighborhood has supported and the shape projected for 20 years already.

The "impact" is huge, again this isn't accident.

https://atlanta.urbanize.city/sites/...?itok=ZKV8WYSI

You deleted part of my post and only responded to park expansion "which i will address later" but you ignored, "I said But also the redeveloped around them, these area have been rezoned for denser development". Your argument was
"Beltline this and beltline that never ceases to crack me up lol.......I've never seen what is essentially a plain wide sidewalk for walking and biking talked about so much on forums like this......

So yeah I think if people actually want the beltline to be of substance and somewhat that matters(as opposed to something that is just talked about in forums like this), rail is probably the better chance of that. But then the bigger question becomes "is this something atlanta really wants/values for the money?", and I have to believe the answer to that is generally no."
This means you have no idea what the Beltline Projected is.

The beltline is not just Trail, and one of things I brought up was park expanson, but it's not even just that. It's larger plan of redevelop of brownfield, older strip malls, parking lots, wasted overgrown grass areas etc that existed between neighborhoods.

All from the Beltline site

beltline.org master planning/

"But then the bigger question becomes "is this something atlanta really wants/values for the money?", and I have to believe the answer to that is generally no."

incorrect the beltline has been a giant economic engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u3zCehhiz0

Quote:
Exactly what I said…for *most* people in and around atl the parks(to include peidmont) are just not that impactful. Most people do not use them/it. Do some people? sure…but if I made a list of the 20 people I know/know of best in or around atl, 16 to 18 of these people either never use the parks or very rarely do and they aren’t impactful. Again this forum is going to disproportionately be into those things…and as I said sever Ansley park residents view peidmont as more of a negative than a positive because it brings some people into the area who otherwise wouldn’t be there….

Now I’m not saying parks a negative or bad or any of that; personally I don’t really care about them or think about them. Most people kind of view PP like one would view a daycare center if they don’t have kids
You understand the difference between a city and a suburb, right?

because your describing East Cobb....... but your talking about an area a few blocks away from Midtown. How on earth are you going choose to stay near a city center but hate everything about living in a city such as parks.

Furthermore, Piedmont Park is a historic park. those historic Neighborhoods are cultural connected with the park. in fact Piedmont Park out date those neighborhoods, Piedmont Park help spur Ansley Park etc growth in the first place.

It's like Some going the water bring trouble but live in Neighborhood on the beach.

And lastly again NPU "neighborhood planning units" are involved with the Beltline. So there seem to be a contradiction with reality here.

Your going 'I know people" but people in those communities are the ones that are involved with the Beltline planning in those neighborhoods.

Old 12-09-2023, 08:58 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,313,782 times
The people running the world is trying to push everyone towards a "15 minute city" concept. So I suppose it probably will happen eventually, I would think.

It is also known as the "sustainable city" which falls under UN Sustainable Development Goal 11 (SDG 11) policy.

Just waiting for an economy that will convert from personal vehicle ownership to one where systems are the one moving people, such as automated vehicles on dedicated highways & city street lanes.

Maybe a little further into the future or maybe sooner, depending how successful corporations and governments are at legislating people out of personal vehicle ownership.

Look out for laws that put kill-switches in cars and mandates tracking systems for insurance purposes. Add to that getting rid of combustion vehicles for electrically-charged vehicles or EVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlouisharris2000 View Post
I really hope it doesn't happen. It seems like it is going to really screw up the Eastside Beltline. I think they should try to put in a dedicate bike lane instead.

https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/g...ters-fire-back

Old 12-10-2023, 08:37 AM

410 posts, read 364,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
You have rendered me speechless...and the more inveterate posters on here would tell you that is a rare thing indeed.
Instead of having such profound symptoms of shock, put your thinking cap on and really evaluate the situation- if piedmont park was as popular with many residents in the area as some claim here, it would be *a lot more busy* during the week. Keep in mind that during the weekends(when it does have more traffic) many of those people are coming from outside the area(or at least certainly not ansley park to which it is right next to)

Old 12-10-2023, 09:31 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,995,285 times
Ansley really doesn’t have great access to the park—it’s blocked by Piedmont Ave, the Botanical Garden, and the Piedmont Driving Club or whatever that dumb old money thing is. Plus they’ve got Winn Park and a few others right in the neighborhood. So it doesn’t surprise me someone who formed their opinion of Atlanta by staying in an Airbnb for three days in Ansley Park would have this impression.

Midtown and VaHi have much better park access, and it’s heavily used by those neighborhoods. Like, to the point that you have to sign up months in advance for a pool pass. And there’s an impromptu dog park every evening near the 12th street gate because Midtown folks don’t want to walk to the actual dog park. And the active oval is filled with sports leagues every night of the week.

But no, you talked to someone in Ansley Park once and they said they don’t go to Piedmont often. So you’ve got a really well founded point of view that people should definitely take seriously.

Old 12-10-2023, 12:59 PM

37,895 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Quote:
Instead of having such profound symptoms of shock, put your thinking cap on and really evaluate the situation- if piedmont park was as popular with many residents in the area as some claim here, it would be *a lot more busy* during the week. Keep in mind that during the weekends(when it does have more traffic) many of those people are coming from outside the area(or at least certainly not ansley park to which it is right next to)
So how busy is the park during the week and how busy should it be if it was as popular with many area residents as some claim here? And who exactly is making these exaggerated claims?

Old 12-10-2023, 03:08 PM

10,397 posts, read 11,525,312 times
Quote:
In 2021, Piedmont Park had more than 5.3 million visitors for the year and averaged more than 14,520 visitors per day.

The largest number of visitors to Piedmont Park in 2021 came from the Atlanta 30309 zip code, where the adjacent Ansley Park neighborhood is located.

Piedmont Park Conservancy Annual Report 2021

In 2022, Piedmont Park had more than 5 million visitors for the year and averaged about 13,700 visitors per day.

The largest number of visitors to Piedmont Park in 2021 came from the Atlanta 30306 zip code, where the adjacent Morningside/Lenox Park and Virginia Highland neighborhoods are located.

The second-largest number of visitors to Piedmont Park came from the aforementioned Atlanta 30309 zip code which includes the aforementioned adjacent Ansley Park neighborhood.

Piedmont Park Conservancy Annual Report 2022

So the stats appear to indicate that Piedmont Park obviously naturally remains popular with residents in the area immediately nearby and surrounding the very much beloved park, including in neighborhoods that are immediately adjacent and close nearby to the park like Ansley Park, Morningside/Lenox Park, Virginia Highland, etc.

Old 12-10-2023, 04:05 PM

498 posts, read 296,091 times
I'd bet the majority of the money funding the piedmont park conservancy is from Ansley Park.

Old 12-10-2023, 04:45 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,538,159 times
Someone said Ansley doesn’t have good access to the park
You literally just have to walk across the street from Ansley just like every other neighborhood around the park

Old 12-10-2023, 07:18 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
Someone said Ansley doesn’t have good access to the park
You literally just have to walk across the street from Ansley just like every other neighborhood around the park
Not really though. You’ve either gotta go down to 14th/Piedmont in Midtown or the Prado entrance, which has a long access road before you get to the nice area around the lake and stuff. Those two entrances are separated by roughly half a mile and Piedmont is no fun to walk down north of 14th. Westminster Drive is a horrible, dangerous crossing, so few people cross there.

Midtown has entrances at 14th, 12th, 11th, and a huge frontage on 10th. Blocks of VaHi directly abut the park without even needing to cross a road, and the whole Beltline feeds the neighborhood into the park—the 10th/Monroe Beltline has more foot traffic than the Prado access by orders of magnitude.

There’s no question that out of the three, Ansley has the worst access to the park. I still think it’s nonsense that people from Ansley never go to the park, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta