Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 11:02 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
There is no "North Metro" counter identity, just a bunch of jurisdictions wanting to be considered big time (Cobb County, Forsyth County, the North Fulton cities) yet still want to act like bedroom communities when it comes to transportation and land use.
This another issue, because Georgia has so many small counties and cities it work against cooperation and empower NIMBYism.

I'm for more amenities and developments on the northside, but there seriously needs to be improve infrastructure.

The problem is some NIMBYs have this view if they stop infrastructure improvement they can prevent growth. When the only thing that's going to happen is growth with inadequate infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 07:57 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
This another issue, because Georgia has so many small counties and cities it work against cooperation and empower NIMBYism.

I'm for more amenities and developments on the northside, but there seriously needs to be improve infrastructure.

The problem is some NIMBYs have this view if they stop infrastructure improvement they can prevent growth. When the only thing that's going to happen is growth with inadequate infrastructure.
And if the NIMBYs want infrastructure, it’s always car-centric sprawling projects.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:07 PM
bu2

24,092 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Forsyth approved a memorandum of understanding on a 2 billion dollar development to attract the NHL.

I just think that is too far to the north to work well. Alpharetta is probably as far north as you could go. Perimeter or near the Braves Stadium would be better.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:02 PM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
…
I just think [Forsyth County] is too far to the north to work well. Alpharetta is probably as far north as you could go. Perimeter or near the Braves Stadium would be better.
Agreed. On all points.

Old 03-26-2024, 11:36 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Forsyth approved a memorandum of understanding on a 2 billion dollar development to attract the NHL.
Here are some links to reports on that story:

Forsyth County Commissioners approve deal that could lead to new arena (WSB-TV)

Forsyth County enters binding agreement with 'The Gathering' developers, allowing project to move forward
- Developers hope this will put Forsyth County on the map with the goal of landing an NHL franchise.
(11Alive)

Quote:
I just think that is too far to the north to work well. Alpharetta is probably as far north as you could go. Perimeter or near the Braves Stadium would be better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Agreed. On all points.
Technically, the proposed Forsyth County site is considered to be Alpharetta as it is located in the part of the Alpharetta mailing area that is located in Forsyth County.

And while it seems that such a project for an arena for a major league professional sports team would be better located at a site that is further south closer to the urban core of metro Atlanta, some important factors that have seemingly far Northside suburban areas like Alpharetta and South Forsyth County apparently slated to be the sites of a future Atlanta area NHL franchise are that:

1) Both of the investor groups are based in the Northern suburbs and exurbs OTP and have no apparent desire in locating a future Atlanta area NHL franchise and/or NHL arena any further south than Alpharetta. The group of investors attempting to attract an NHL franchise to the North Point Mall site is based in Alpharetta while the group of investors attempting to attract an NHL franchise to the South Forsyth County site is led by a businessman who is based in Gainesville…

2) It is the Alpharetta municipal and Forsyth County governments that are offering to fund a significant portion of said proposed arena projects in their respective locations where the land is available to build a future NHL arena adjacent to a large mixed-use development and entertainment complex that very importantly will generate excess revenues for said proposed future Atlanta area NHL franchise…

3) The area where the two proposed NHL arena sites are located is in an affluent area where there is a large cluster of high-income earning households (with over $100k median yearly incomes) in North Fulton and South Forsyth counties…

4) The area where the two proposed NHL arena sites are located is also in an area that supposedly has one of the highest amounts of amateur participation and interest in the sport of ice hockey with a large amateur ice hockey scene that is fostered by five public ice rinks in the area at and well north of the I-285 Perimeter.

Old 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post

Technically, the proposed Forsyth County site is considered to be Alpharetta as it is located in the part of the Alpharetta mailing area that is located in Forsyth County.
I just moved pretty close to the proposed site. People hear Forsyth and think I moved to north of Cumming but I'm 10 minutes exactly to Avalon and less than 15 mins from downtown Alpharetta. People that live in "Alpharetta" but away from 400 take just as long to drive there. This site is literally right next to Fulton County and an exit for 400 is being built at McGinnis Ferry. It's a whole 2.5 miles farther north than Old Milton (exit for Avalon). 4 miles from Haynes Bridge (north exit for North Point Mall).

Personally, I still think something like North Point Mall's site would work better if it's going in Alpharetta. 2 exits on north and south end. MARTA busses could easily connect N Springs station to the site and maybe run special routes during the games. With Forsyth, I guess MARTA does have existing bus stops right on the border that could be used, but it seems like it would be less likely for Forsyth County to want that connection or be willing to work with MARTA to get people up from the city using the train/bus. But yea, it's really not that much farther north than an Alpharetta proper site.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:05 AM

705 posts, read 444,379 times
Quote:

This is a disaster!!!!!

Old 03-28-2024, 10:45 AM

271 posts, read 302,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I just moved pretty close to the proposed site. People hear Forsyth and think I moved to north of Cumming but I'm 10 minutes exactly to Avalon and less than 15 mins from downtown Alpharetta. People that live in "Alpharetta" but away from 400 take just as long to drive there. This site is literally right next to Fulton County and an exit for 400 is being built at McGinnis Ferry. It's a whole 2.5 miles farther north than Old Milton (exit for Avalon). 4 miles from Haynes Bridge (north exit for North Point Mall).

Personally, I still think something like North Point Mall's site would work better if it's going in Alpharetta. 2 exits on north and south end. MARTA busses could easily connect N Springs station to the site and maybe run special routes during the games. With Forsyth, I guess MARTA does have existing bus stops right on the border that could be used, but it seems like it would be less likely for Forsyth County to want that connection or be willing to work with MARTA to get people up from the city using the train/bus. But yea, it's really not that much farther north than an Alpharetta proper site.
Great points.

I think in terms of perception, Forsyth County does seem rather far away-- although there are parts of Forsyth county near GA 400 that are less than 10 min. from Avalon as you mentioned.

North Springs would be better, given that it could help redevelop the area. There are a ton of shops/stores and roadways near North Springs that could already handle the additional traffic. As you mentioned as well it's a short ride to the Marta North Springs station.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out!

Old 03-28-2024, 02:04 PM
bu2

24,092 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post

Cobb and Gwinnett have good rec hockey leagues. And you can't get to South Forsyth from Cobb or Gwinnett! At least not easily. That's why Perimeter and Cobb-Galleria area are so much superior.

Old 03-28-2024, 02:08 PM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
This is a disaster!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethereds82 View Post
Great points.

I think in terms of perception, Forsyth County does seem rather far away-- although there are parts of Forsyth county near GA 400 that are less than 10 min. from Avalon as you mentioned.

North Springs would be better, given that it could help redevelop the area. There are a ton of shops/stores and roadways near North Springs that could already handle the additional traffic. As you mentioned as well it's a short ride to the Marta North Springs station.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out!
Yes.

The North Point Mall Area is as far north as it could go and still be OK. Anything beyond that is not OK.

Ideally, a new hockey arena would go to:

Best Option A: Cumberland Mall Area/Near Battery

Best Option B: Perimeter Mall Area/North Springs Area

Best Option C: Lindbergh Center Area

Best Option D: Atlantic Station Area

Best Option E: Downtown Atlanta Area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta