Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 AM

653 posts, read 1,794,283 times

Advertisements

Cable?
Dish Network?
Direct TV?
Other?

I have never used satellite before, but have had concerns that there would be signal issues often enough to irritate me (as shown on the ads for TimeWarner cable).
But the truth is, I get outages with cable every so often as well (both internet and tv, or just internet, or just particular tv stations).

The satellite providers have specials right now, but I don't want a lock in to a contract, for which the price goes up, before the end of the contract.

What about DSL instead of Cable for internet?

TimeWarner does not even recognize the address of the house, they tell me it does not exist in their database, and I know it exists, and I was pretty sure I saw cable connections inside (but maybe it is not wired for cable).

I did some looking on the internet, and AT&T has a lot of specials, but they are gimmick heavy (I hate gimmicks, I would much rather just get a straight deal.)

Do the people who get satellite in this area (Austin, or more specifically North Austin), get pretty constant reception, or is it fuzzy a lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 12:03 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,123,590 times
We use uverse and are happy with it. The only part I don't like is that you have to have a box for every tv which is $7/month

Old 07-12-2010, 12:19 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,143 times
If you get very heavy rains satellite usually goes out for about the first 15-20 minutes of the downpour but then usually finds a signal. Though I have seen heavy long term rains take out a signal for an hour or more.
Its an issue but not that big of a deal IMO.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:21 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Two months ago I had Time Warner cable for TV & Internet. And home telephone with AT&T.

After comparing the options I realized I could save around $1,000 a year by changing my account to get a package deal with all three services from either one of those providers. The cost was about the same. I went with AT&T U-verse with a minimum TV channel package as we mostly watch movies from netflix, but still record a few TV programs so we can fast forward thru the commercials. We choose AT&T because we have had better experiences with their customer service.

The AT&T U-verse digital recorder offers better options then TW, and much to my surprise the television picture is sharper with AT&T, on a regular TV not HD. AT&T also offers you the ability to program the shows you record via a web page interface, which I like. I'm still learning all the bells and whistles with U-verse, but I am getting a lot more out of this package, such as the AT&T modem comes with wi-fi if you want to turn it on. The phone service has voice mail built in and it displays who is calling on your TV screen and the phone when it rings, if your phone is set up for this.

You have to have a box for every TV with TW also, if you want to receive more then the minimal cable channels.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:19 PM

481 posts, read 2,416,627 times
I agree with Cptn Rn. Uverse is very nice and this is from a former Time Warner customer. I love being able to program my shows online. Super easy.

My friend just moved and after much thought stayed with Time Warner. Her and her husband we arguing as to where to put the Time Warner DVR in the house. They didn't know which room they would watch recorded shows. All I said was too bad they didn't go with Uverse. You can be in any room and watch recorded shows.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:39 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Does UVerse suffer from the same problems as satellite TV does? Does it go out in the rain/clouds? Does the picture pixelize/freeze a lot (TWC this used to never happen, but it's starting to a little now).

I'm interested in UVerse, but I've been bombarded by those TWC ads which indicate AT&T is just repackaging satellite TV. Which would be fine, I guess, if the reliability was better than a home satellite dish.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:02 PM

But Uverse is Satellite TV, right?
If Satellite TV is going to be fuzzy for 10-15 minutes when it rains hard, that is worse than the minimal unavailability (or poor signal) I sometimes get with Cable.

I do not plan on having a phone at all, my cell phone meets my needs.

I will only watch in one room. But I might sometimes use my computer, instead of my TV, to record a show (using the software on my computer).

The only way I am taking a free DVR for 3 months is IF They will come and pick it up after the free time is up, and not force me to return it or pay a monthly fee for it.
(I am transportation challenged).

AT&T is very gimmick based.
And without also getting a phone, it is not such a good deal (at least from what I could find online).

TimeWarner has packages that involve just Internet and TV for about $84.00. I just realized that is $50 more than just internet. That would be $600 a year for TV reception.
Wow.
Do I really need it, when so much is available online, or via netflix (which I have not yet joined).
I really like being able to watch CNN, Disney, Hallmark and Lifetime.

Time Warning is not so good at online customer service (even their chat wanted to initiate a phone call).
So far the only response I have gotten from them, when I tried to set up service at the new address (using their online tool), was that they could not find the address in the database.
I know I saw cable connections in the house.

The TV antenna idea is starting to look more like my best TV option.
But I still have to decide on internet.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:20 PM

Has anyone used Clear recently, or at all in the Austin area?
I know they had some issues in the past, in another city I know of, (poor customer service, failure to provide service or refund money).

Old 07-12-2010, 02:23 PM

481 posts, read 2,416,627 times
Uverse if fiber optic - so underground. I have had it for exactly one year now and it has never gone out. My old Time Warner would go out or get fuzzy about 6 times a year and never really found out why.

I got a great deal with Uverse. I got a discount for 6 mos. and a $200 check back in the mail. Now that my discount has ended, my current bill with Uverse is $30/mo cheaper than Time Warner.

Beware, Time Warner has great intro rates and then when it ends they really hike up your bill.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:53 PM

426 posts, read 1,673,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
Uverse if fiber optic - so underground. I have had it for exactly one year now and it has never gone out. My old Time Warner would go out or get fuzzy about 6 times a year and never really found out why.

I got a great deal with Uverse. I got a discount for 6 mos. and a $200 check back in the mail. Now that my discount has ended, my current bill with Uverse is $30/mo cheaper than Time Warner.

Beware, Time Warner has great intro rates and then when it ends they really hike up your bill.
Two things... 1) as stated above, U-verse is not satellite. No connection to weather at all. 2) For the post above me - call uverse customer service, go to the cancellation department and tell them you're considering going to a competitor unless they can make your price better. I call every 6 months and they give me the initial 6-month discount everytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: