Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 04:05 PM

43 posts, read 214,160 times

Advertisements

I am new to the Austin area. In an effort to go green and save on water and electric bills, I'm looking for a good place to buy an energy efficient, front load washer and dryer. I don't want to spend too much, no more than $1200 for the set, and I'm willing to buy from a scratch and dent company or a set in like new condition too. Does anyone have a suggestion to buy these at a discount price? Or if you got a good deal, maybe you could share. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 09:39 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclboro View Post
I am new to the Austin area. In an effort to go green and save on water and electric bills, I'm looking for a good place to buy an energy efficient, front load washer and dryer. I don't want to spend too much, no more than $1200 for the set, and I'm willing to buy from a scratch and dent company or a set in like new condition too. Does anyone have a suggestion to buy these at a discount price? Or if you got a good deal, maybe you could share. Thanks.
From what I understand, an HE dryer doesn't really exist...just some are more effective than others. We went with the Maytag Bravos series...not in the price range you mentioned unless you find a scratch and dent. We picked up a Kenmore front load washer a number of years ago at a Sears Outlet. Not sure if those exist in AUS. You might give 'slickdeals dot net' a try for finding the best offers. The washers are worth it if you are heating your own water...roughly half the water and energy compared to conventional top loaders.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:33 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,732,304 times
We did a ton of research and ended up getting the LG Tromm set and it is great. We got the smaller ones (never had too much clothes to fit) and I think it was around $1400 total. Sears had the best price but Home Depot matched it plus gave free delivery and a $100 gift card (watch for specials).

Old 06-25-2008, 08:24 PM

325 posts, read 1,020,176 times
Default Washer and Dryer

I bought the Maytag Neptune and had to have repairs to both of them. Cleans great and saves water but I thought it should not have needed repairs after only 2 years with only my husband and I. I was warned by other people but my dealer told me those issues were worked out. I guess not. I think the set back then was $1500. I have needed repairs to all of my Maytag appliances. My old Maytags lasted 20 yrs without a single repair. I guess the repair man got tired of sitting around with no work. I love my Kitchen Aid dishwasher. Washes the dishes incredibly. I don't know if I am allowed to mention brand names.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 PM

368 posts, read 1,785,143 times
We've had two Frigidare front-load washers and nat-gas dryers, and the only reason we've had two is because we moved. It was much easier to leave the ones in Colorado in Colorado, plus, becuase the washer uses so much less water, I can see a top-load easily running the well that house had, dry. I couldn't do that to new owners.

Actually, the second one, while it was obviously a Fridigare, it was labeled a Kenmore. The washer was around $400, the dryer $250, and the state of OR gave me back an energy savings check of $200, or so, for the washer. Score!!!

Front-load washers flat-out rock. They don't tear up your clothes, clean at least as well, use much less detergent, use much, much less water, hence they use less heat when you need hot water...it's a win/win situation for everyone. As a bonus, as long as you don't cram them full, they aren't overloaded. You have to look at the capacity differently, but it's amazing how much can go in there and it's still just fine.

There is a downside. If you forget to put something in, and the water has gotten up to the door glass, if you turn the cycle to 'off' and open the door, water will pour out. Just make certain you get what you want in there before you start. I've not had experience with this, but I can see it happening. I have cycled it to 'off' to put more stuff in, but I knew it wasn't close to having a bunch of water in it.

I can say a natural gas dryer seems to be faster, and it should be less expensive to run. We had a nat gas line run to the dryer's location in the last house, as we've both had electric, and are unwilling to return. It was worth the $125 to have it put in while they were finishing the place.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:16 PM

30 posts, read 140,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
I bought the Maytag Neptune and had to have repairs to both of them. Cleans great and saves water but I thought it should not have needed repairs after only 2 years with only my husband and I. I was warned by other people but my dealer told me those issues were worked out. I guess not. I think the set back then was $1500. I have needed repairs to all of my Maytag appliances. My old Maytags lasted 20 yrs without a single repair. I guess the repair man got tired of sitting around with no work. I love my Kitchen Aid dishwasher. Washes the dishes incredibly. I don't know if I am allowed to mention brand names.
I have a Maytag front loading set too. I also was assured that all of the problems had been resolved and they are the biggest pieces of garbage that I have ever encountered. If I don't run an empty load of bleach through once a month, then they smell like mildew and so do my clothes. Constant need for repairs. The washer every so often will just stop working and I have to climb over it and unplug it to get it to go again. These replaced another Maytag set that my DH and I had purchased when we first got married, and at that time were 11 years old. The dryer had one part go out and it was a $15 part to replace. Never will I buy Maytag again. In fact, they are being offered with this house, when we can get it on the market. I am drooling over a Bosch front loading set. Or the LG.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:36 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
I'm not sure about the brands and how they compare since we are using a top loader. My husband wants a front loader, but my experience with them previously wasn't too great. We used them in the salon I worked at and they cleaned great while they worked, but at least twice a year the seal around the door would loosen or wear off and water would leak everywhere. Maybe we were just using the Maytag??

Old 06-27-2008, 02:07 AM

37 posts, read 118,332 times
I have a Kenmore front loading washer. I love it. Had it over 5 years with no problems at all. One tick I have learned was after doing the wash leave the door open to dry out the inside. Also the best thing you can do for a dryer is to by a bigger one then what you need. The larger area inside will let your clothes dry faster.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:39 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,060,220 times
I have the LG Tromms and we LOVE them. One of the best purchases we have made for our home.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:21 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
Thanks for the positive recs. Now I won't have to tell my husband I don't like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: