Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 01:46 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,362,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Well yeh, the softer of the two tyres will give better grip in the turns. Higher corner speed = higher exit speed = higher straight speed and later braking since you have more grip.

At some point in the race the tables will turn when the teams have to change tyres. Both compounds have to be used by all teams at some point.
Yes... Exactly. And depending on the strategy that the teams use on when to use which tires and when to pit does effect their ability to pass and move up (or down).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 02:12 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,581,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Yes... Exactly. And depending on the strategy that the teams use on when to use which tires and when to pit does effect their ability to pass and move up (or down).

Yes. But there is no disadvantage to any team regarding the tyres since they all have to switch at some point. Like you said, pit strategy is very important. As is pit-stop times. 2 seconds will change a race.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,197,160 times

Old 03-24-2013, 11:51 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Yes. But there is no disadvantage to any team regarding the tyres since they all have to switch at some point. Like you said, pit strategy is very important. As is pit-stop times. 2 seconds will change a race.
Sure their is. A fast car that can corner quicker is punsih for that with higher tire wear. That is normal too a degreee but not at level we have seen. The tire s are design to do just that level the field more. One just has to look at first race qualifying to see that Vettle was quite a bit faster. Few laps on tires then few at spped and his traction was way offf conopared to slow cars. just lid stenig to the radio you here save your tiresd ;meaning go slower to just keep interveal.No secret that its becomeing a tire managemnt race.Its not a strgedy that teams decide but madated by the tire wear that punishes for goig too fast that causes tire to go way off. If the are going to do this then they need to let cars chnage setup between qualifying and race plus start on fresh tires or its goig to be often not seeig eve cars at fastest possible i time during qualifying. That is not F1 with it being the higest tech and fastest cornign possible.Its become netertainemtn only not a sprint race at fastest speeds possible.That is why beside the time that I only watch qualifying now.I think Webber comment showed what is happening in the not like old days on driving at 8/10ths comment and not flat out. Not the F1 I like to level the playig filed;way beyond allowig passing.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:35 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,192,532 times
"According to Bernie Ecclestone, Lewis Hamilton wanted to join Red Bull this year but team owner Dietrich Mateschitz gave Mark Webber the option of staying on before entertaining the idea." The whole story: Lewis Hamilton wanted Red Bull deal - Bernie Ecclestone | Formula 1 | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

Old 03-24-2013, 02:21 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,126,368 times
What an ass vettel is.
Not sure how being told to "stay in position" and then overtaking can be a mistake.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:50 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,192,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
What an ass vettel is.
Not sure how being told to "stay in position" and then overtaking can be a mistake.
Vettel has always been the faster driver of the two and he wants to win when he is the fastest driver on the track even when the bean counters calculate that it is too risky and tell him not to.

Maybe, in some people's minds, this makes him an ass.

But asses win many races and championships and will be remembered long after they retire.

And those drivers who are not asses will have collective sympathies, and very few wins and no titles at all, unless they are extremely lucky.

I am old enough to remember when many thought that Ayrton Senna was one of these asses. I cheered him on.

Last edited by karlsch; 03-24-2013 at 03:07 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Vettel has always been the faster driver of the two and he wants to win when he is the fastest driver on the track even when the bean counters calculate that it is too risky and tell him not to.

Maybe, in some people's minds, this makes him an ass.

But asses win many races and championships and will be remembered long after they retire.

And those drivers who are not asses will have collective sympathies, and very few wins and no titles at all, unless they are extremely lucky.

I am old enough to remember when many thought that Ayrton Senna was one of these asses. I cheered him on.
He disobeyed orders and was rude about his team mate. Sorry, but his arrogance really showed today.

Quite disappointed with race overall though. Too bad for Force India. Alonso was a dumbass. Well done to Mercedes though.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Sure their is. A fast car that can corner quicker is punsih for that with higher tire wear. That is normal too a degreee but not at level we have seen. The tire s are design to do just that level the field more. One just has to look at first race qualifying to see that Vettle was quite a bit faster. Few laps on tires then few at spped and his traction was way offf conopared to slow cars. just lid stenig to the radio you here save your tiresd ;meaning go slower to just keep interveal.No secret that its becomeing a tire managemnt race.Its not a strgedy that teams decide but madated by the tire wear that punishes for goig too fast that causes tire to go way off. If the are going to do this then they need to let cars chnage setup between qualifying and race plus start on fresh tires or its goig to be often not seeig eve cars at fastest possible i time during qualifying. That is not F1 with it being the higest tech and fastest cornign possible.Its become netertainemtn only not a sprint race at fastest speeds possible.That is why beside the time that I only watch qualifying now.I think Webber comment showed what is happening in the not like old days on driving at 8/10ths comment and not flat out. Not the F1 I like to level the playig filed;way beyond allowig passing.

They ALL have to use both sets of tyres. Everyone suffers tyre wear. They can and do change setups during qualifying and race. It is thought the Vettel changed his setup between qualifying and race for the first race. The commentators said yesterday that they think he opted for a setup geared more to wet weather.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:05 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,197,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
What an ass vettel is.
He is obviously a "win at all costs" type of driver, just like M. Schumacher and A. Senna. He will most likely surpass F. Alonso this year in total number of victories (27 for Vettel versus 30 for Alonso so far).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing