Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 12:32 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Watched this last night. Really interesting series especially knowing how it turned out. Hard to believe Honda could get it so wrong. They have a rich history of great engines and that thing was horrible. Alonzo sure doesn't hold back! lol Good for him. Thanks for the heads up!

I just hope McLaren and Alonso don't wind up ruing the switch to Renault engines this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 02:03 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,192,532 times
Valentino Rossi's take on Max Verstappen:

“Seven-time MotoGP world champion Valentino Rossi says F1 is “crazy” to try to reign in Max Verstappen............“If I had a say in how formula one is run, I would want 12 Verstappens on the grid,” he declared. “: https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/formula...wn_313601.html

Old 02-24-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Valentino Rossi's take on Max Verstappen:

“Seven-time MotoGP world champion Valentino Rossi says F1 is “crazy” to try to reign in Max Verstappen............“If I had a say in how formula one is run, I would want 12 Verstappens on the grid,” he declared. “: https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/formula...wn_313601.html

I like both Rossi and Max but I have to disagree with Val's statement "so you have to make room otherwise there's a danger you will both fall". I don't believe a driver ahead has a responsibility to "make room" for an overtaking driver, it's up to that driver to pass without making it in to a demo-derby.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:41 AM

Just curious what people think of the Halo device? To me it was prompted because of freak incidents as modern F1 cars have held up very well in 'normal' racing crashes. I can't help but think it very possible that in certain circumstances the Halo may well me more hindrance than help in getting the driver removed from a crashed car.

And thank goodness Bernie's given up the reins given he's encouraged F1 to go all electric.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:58 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,841,178 times
I'm generally for safety devices and I don't think they make the cars any uglier than they already are, particularly at the nose. The Halo is merely a minor affront, compared to the nose and that massive front wing. I think they are meant to protect against things like flying tires and debris and act as sort of a lower roll bar in case of "inverted flight" as happened to Alonso a few years back and when a car, upside down, skims along a barrier

There were some article from early last summer that F1 would raise the "driver cockpit evacuation" time from 5 seconds to 8 or 10 seconds, but I don't think that happened. In early tests the Halo slowed down driver evac, but the cars were also using a mock-up device and specifically told they couldn't use it to pull themselves out or put weight on it.

As far as coverage, isn't SkyTV commercial free? What happens to US coverage when we cut away from the obligatory 20+ minutes per hour? Will Sky reply or catch us up? I doubt it. I'm not too concerned about the pre-race or post-race coverage that they are dropping, but I really want all of qualifying and at least a full practice session - I liked the way Hobbs, Matchett and crew filled us in on all the background drama (F1, driver, team, track, etc) during the practice.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I'm generally for safety devices and I don't think they make the cars any uglier than they already are, particularly at the nose. The Halo is merely a minor affront, compared to the nose and that massive front wing. I think they are meant to protect against things like flying tires and debris and act as sort of a lower roll bar in case of "inverted flight" as happened to Alonso a few years back and when a car, upside down, skims along a barrier
That incident along with Kubica's violent crash in Montreal are what make me think the cars were actually quite safe as they were. I agree about the front ends, I'd like to see the front reduced to a single element with less area than currently allowed as well as a reduction at the rear. IMO something needs to be done to allow more overtaking without things like the DRS which to me is just a gimmick.

Quote:
There were some article from early last summer that F1 would raise the "driver cockpit evacuation" time from 5 seconds to 8 or 10 seconds, but I don't think that happened. In early tests the Halo slowed down driver evac, but the cars were also using a mock-up device and specifically told they couldn't use it to pull themselves out or put weight on it.
It will be interesting to see if Indy continues testing its windshield.

Quote:
As far as coverage, isn't SkyTV commercial free? What happens to US coverage when we cut away from the obligatory 20+ minutes per hour? Will Sky reply or catch us up? I doubt it. I'm not too concerned about the pre-race or post-race coverage that they are dropping, but I really want all of qualifying and at least a full practice session - I liked the way Hobbs, Matchett and crew filled us in on all the background drama (F1, driver, team, track, etc) during the practice.
I'm definitely going to miss that crew, Hobbs and Matchett along with Varsha were IMO amongst the best coverage teams of any televised sport.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:03 AM

5,466 posts, read 8,192,532 times
Quote:

As far as coverage, isn't SkyTV commercial free? What happens to US coverage when we cut away from the obligatory 20+ minutes per hour? Will Sky reply or catch us up? ......
Apparently they do have scheduled breaks for commercials https://skytv.custhelp.com/app/answe...s-on-sky-tv%3F so they probably will show what was missed.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:05 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,863,415 times
Add me to the miss Hobbs and Matchett along with Varsha crowd. Those guys are great. Guess we'll see how the Sky thing goes.

As to the halo device, I think it helps on those insane crashes that make people question racing so not a bad thing to try and eliminate. I'm sure the evac time will be a bit slower but probably worth it.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:48 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,707,831 times
Hamilton fastest at first pre-season test in Barcelona.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:50 AM

983 posts, read 1,635,782 times
F1 is launching a streaming service, no ads, US included. Will include on-board channels, pit radio (with ability to follow particular drivers), and an archive.

This is phenomenal news provided they execute properly.

Price will be between 7 and 12 bucks depending on the market.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...n-service.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing