Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 02:17 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,836,609 times

Advertisements

NASCAR's 72nd season begins with the Busch Clash on February 9 at DIS. The Daytona 500 will be February 16 at 2:30 pm and the season will end at Phoenix instead of Homestead, November 8.

Notable changes for 2020:
  • 7 time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson will retire at end of season

Drivers moving to a new team:
  • Chris Buescher (moves from #37 JTG Daugherty Racing to #17 Roush Fenway Racing)
  • Matt DiBenedetto (moves from #95 Leavine Family Racing to #21 Wood Brothers Racing)
  • Daniel Hemric (released by Richard Childress Racing, Hemric will run a partial XFINITY schedule with JR Motorsports)
  • Daniel Suarez (released from #41 Stewart Haas. Unknown plans. Could move to XFINITY with Richard Childress Racing)
  • Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (moves from #17 Roush Fenway Racing to #TBA at JTG Daugherty Racing)
  • Paul Menard, David Regan and Matt Tift have retired.

Major schedule changes:
  • Martinsville will decide who goes to Final 4 (Nov 1)
  • Martinsville will get a night race (May 9)
  • Pocono to have a Doubleheader (June 27 & 28)
  • Atlanta moves to March 15
  • Bristol night race end of Round 1 (Sept 19)
  • West coast swing after Daytona (Las Vegas, Fontana, Phoenix)
  • Vegas will also host playoff race Sept 27
  • Back to back off weekends for Olympics on NBC (July 29 and Aug 2)
  • Round 2 to be very exciting...Las Vegas (Sept. 27), Talladega (Oct. 4), Charlotte Roval (Oct. 11)
  • Daytona to be last race of Regular Season (Aug 29)
  • Southern 500 to open playoffs
  • Homestead now in March
  • Brickyard 400 now on July 4 weekend (July 5)
  • NASCAR Championship (Final 4) now at Phoenix (Nov 8)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 02:57 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Eh.. I don't think Tifft is an actual retirement.. Unless something has come out that I'm not aware of. It may very well turn into a retirement. he's had brain cancer in the past and after his seizure(s?) last year, he didn't want to hold up FRM when he didn't know when or if he'd be able to return.

So, I don't believe he's retired, but he has no plans to race ATM.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:57 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,836,609 times
I like that NASCAR is taking some risk with the schedule changes. I thought Homestead was getting a bit boring for the Championship race. We'll see how Phoenix works out.

The doubleheader at Pocono should be interesting. That's a LOT of Cup racing in one weekend. Typically I get bored watching just one Pocono race since it seemed to be so loonnngg. But I'm willing to be open minded about this.

Speaking of Homestead...I read that the Next Gen car will be tested next week in Florida. Driver TBA.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I like that NASCAR is taking some risk with the schedule changes. I thought Homestead was getting a bit boring for the Championship race. We'll see how Phoenix works out.

The doubleheader at Pocono should be interesting. That's a LOT of Cup racing in one weekend. Typically I get bored watching just one Pocono race since it seemed to be so loonnngg. But I'm willing to be open minded about this.

Speaking of Homestead...I read that the Next Gen car will be tested next week in Florida. Driver TBA.

the big question is what happens if it rains that weekend. I'm talking all weekend and washes out both races?

I still think it's a fascinating idea and worth trying.. I just.. Worry about what happens when things don't go perfectly. Of course, they have 2 off weekends on the 26th of July and 2nd of August.

Old 01-07-2020, 02:05 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,702,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

The Sunday race is 350 miles, which is a little better. Saturday still shows as TBD.

https://www.poconoraceway.com/2020-p...ouncement.html

Pocono seems to drag through the middle and get exciting within the last 20. But the fuel mileage races are not my thing.

Old 01-07-2020, 02:33 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,821,349 times
Its nice to see major changes to the schedule for 2020. Should make things a little more interesting, especially with Daytona being the last race of the Regular Season and the changes to Martinsville. I am also interested to see how the Pocono doubleheader will play out as well. And just imagine what the 2021 schedule will look like since that supposedly was when "major" changes were coming to the schedule.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:08 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,872,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Pocono seems to drag through the middle and get exciting within the last 20. But the fuel mileage races are not my thing.

yeah, pocono does get boring in the middle of the race, but then most races do, even the road races and the bull rings.

as for fuel economy races, they have a fun all their own. especially at tracks like pocono. big track, very little banking, so that means you have to carefully manage your fuel so that you get the best economy, and still have to keep up with the pack.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:58 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,924,091 times
I LOVE that they finally moved the Martinsville spring race to a night race AND it's out of snow season.

Should be a nice balmy evening!

Can't wait...

Old 01-09-2020, 08:15 AM

Pit changes for Trucks and Xfinity.. No "live" pit stops.. From what I can gather, they throw a yellow, field is frozen.. You can either pit or not, if you pit, on oval, you can get 2 tires and fuel. If you want 4 tires, you have to make a second stop. How long your pit stop takes doesn't matter, you maintain position relative to other cars that pit the same as you.

When they're ready to restart, cars who didn't pit line up first, cars who took fuel and 2 tires second and last is cars who pitted twice for 4 tires and fuel.

At road courses, it's 4 tires OR fuel on the first stop. Second stop if you want the other.

Sorry.. Too damn confusing for my blood.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:20 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,702,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Pit changes for Trucks and Xfinity.. No "live" pit stops.. From what I can gather, they throw a yellow, field is frozen.. You can either pit or not, if you pit, on oval, you can get 2 tires and fuel. If you want 4 tires, you have to make a second stop. How long your pit stop takes doesn't matter, you maintain position relative to other cars that pit the same as you.

When they're ready to restart, cars who didn't pit line up first, cars who took fuel and 2 tires second and last is cars who pitted twice for 4 tires and fuel.

At road courses, it's 4 tires OR fuel on the first stop. Second stop if you want the other.

Sorry.. Too damn confusing for my blood.

This article explains it fairly well. Seems it is only for stand alone events.

https://www.jayski.com/2020/01/07/na...-truck-series/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing