Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 08:33 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Ernie Irvan made the first 50. Yeah, I was surprised too.

How about Carl Edwards.

Oh yeah.. Irvin is still borderline. I mean.. He's pretty much more known for wrecks than anything. His near death wreck in '94 and all the wrecks he caused before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post

Newman was on my list.. He's acceptable. His career really kinda went down after leaving SHR, but his Penske years.. You don't get the nickname Rocketman for going slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 10:22 AM

9,892 posts, read 10,831,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Newman was on my list.. He's acceptable. His career really kinda went down after leaving SHR, but his Penske years.. You don't get the nickname Rocketman for going slow.
Agreed. I cant help but always kind of wonder what if with Ryan. He and Jimmie came in the same year, I believe Ryan won rookie of the year. Not taking anything away from Johnson's talent but... Hendrick equipment compared to Penske at the time. Ryan was much more of a hardnosed racer, of course (famous for being the hardest guy to pass). What if the rides were swapped and Newman had Hendrick equipment and Chad Knauss. Again not taking anything away from Johnson.

Old 04-20-2023, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Agreed. I cant help but always kind of wonder what if with Ryan. He and Jimmie came in the same year, I believe Ryan won rookie of the year. Not taking anything away from Johnson's talent but... Hendrick equipment compared to Penske at the time. Ryan was much more of a hardnosed racer, of course (famous for being the hardest guy to pass). What if the rides were swapped and Newman had Hendrick equipment and Chad Knauss. Again not taking anything away from Johnson.

I think you see similar from Newman. Remember.. Penske had good equipment at that time. Rusty and Ryan I don't think ever saw eye to eye.. Which.. A 'better' teammate might have gone a long ways.

I don't think there were any conflicts personally between Rusty and Ryan, they just wanted different things from their cars.

Old 04-20-2023, 01:40 PM

Denny Hamlin is the next name. 100% behind that.

I wonder if they're going to make Harvick the last name on the list. Kinda fits with him retiring after this season.

I think I left Joey Logano off my original list.. While he's only 32.. That little bastard is in his 15th season already.

I kinda wonder how long he will stick around. Will he be driving when he's 50? Retire early?

Old 04-21-2023, 05:32 AM

9,520 posts, read 9,836,609 times
Quote:
Denny Hamlin is the next name. 100% behind that.
Well deserving of course. 3x Daytona Champ is a feat most drivers would give a body part for.

Hope the #11 team finds their mojo soon and gets Denny into the playoffs. Denny needs just one championship to cap off a fantastic career.

Old 04-21-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Well deserving of course. 3x Daytona Champ is a feat most drivers would give a body part for.

Hope the #11 team finds their mojo soon and gets Denny into the playoffs. Denny needs just one championship to cap off a fantastic career.

honestly, he doesn't NEED the championship. He's a HoFer without it.

But.. It would be nice to have, I'm sure.

There's worse things than being called the next Mark Martin.

Old 04-21-2023, 02:39 PM

Chase Elliott.. Again.. I have no problems, but, it just seems too early. Boy isn't even 30.

Now that we seem to be getting a feel for the qualifications, however. Let's revisit and see who we expect to be added..

Martin Truex, Jr. One championship, but 31 race wins. Seeing as 17 to 18 seems to get you in. He should be a lock. Not sure why I left him off first time. Oversight.

Brad Keselowski. Again, 1 championship and 35 race wins. Again, oversight.

Jim Paschal. 25 wins, no championship. Better than Biffle. Kahne. Marlin.
Jack Smith 21 wins

Speedy Thompson 20 wins in 197 races. 105 top 10's.

Fonty Flock. Tim is in, why not Fonty? Fonty has a damn good case compared to some that are on now. 19 wins, Modified champion, stock champion, Southern 500 winner.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:03 AM

Quote:
honestly, he doesn't NEED the championship. He's a HoFer without it.

But.. It would be nice to have, I'm sure.

There's worse things than being called the next Mark Martin.
It does seem that he has come to terms with the possibility he may not win the Cup championship as a driver.

Good chance he will win a championship(s) as an owner.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:06 AM

Carl Edwards in the 75 greatest.

Sure would like to see him back on the track one day...even if it's SRX.

Old 04-25-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Carl Edwards in the 75 greatest.

Sure would like to see him back on the track one day...even if it's SRX.

Carl is pretty much at the age where the retirement talk would be happening if he were still driving. So.. I don't think you'll see him back in any kind of full time role. I'd probably be surprised to see him back in a Cup car at all unless someone brought him in to do some testing or similar. And, seeing as he hasn't returned yet.. I don't think he has any burning desire to do it.

You do realize that he's been out for 7 years now? Kinda shocking, isn't it? I'd have to imagine that it'd be hard to come back for even a one-off after that long on the sidelines.

Time passes and.. We hardly notice sometimes. Doesn't it seem crazy that Earnhardt would be 72 in a few days? Based on the Earnhardt family history.. There's a not-insignificant chance that he would have passed away by now from heart issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing