Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 02:51 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,972,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I usually drive well within what I find safe, which does not always constitutes driving within the speed limits.

So yes, I do speed, and yes I've been fined on two occasions.

One of them was $1000 plus two marks on my license (8 is max, you lose it for 3-6 months at that point), in an average speed measurement I was clocked doing 63 Mph in a 50 Mph zone.

The other ticket (got it recently, in June) was $685 and two more marks on my license (they go away after 3 years btw) for doing (laser trap, so top speed measurement) 45 Mph in a 31 Mph zone (which I honestly thought was a 37 Mph zone due to bad sign postings). In that last occurrence I was a mere 2 mph off losing my license on the spot.

I think the community service should be enough to hurt, in addition to a fine, at the same time I think (at least in Norway) the speed limits should be addressed more frequently as well and more focus should be put on dangerous drivers all together, not just speeders.
Dude, those are heavy fine for pretty minor violations. Yikes.

I've been fined a few times too, but not recently. No ticket I ever got even made me think of slowing down. But I also only drive within what I consider to be safe.

I think speed limits are often too low, and not enough of a distinction is made between simple speeding and unsafe driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 04:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,128,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Dude, those are heavy fine for pretty minor violations. Yikes.

I've been fined a few times too, but not recently. No ticket I ever got even made me think of slowing down. But I also only drive within what I consider to be safe.

I think speed limits are often too low, and not enough of a distinction is made between simple speeding and unsafe driving.
But you're not the only driver on the road. There are a lot of others who don't like to or are unable to drive as fast as you. Their driving ability may be compromised by age or physical limitations, or they just might not be as familiar as you are with the road. It would be hazardous for them to drive as fast as you want to, and your presence on the road, going a lot faster then they are, would be a perilous traffic scenario.

The ideal traffic flow has everyone going pretty much the same speed, and the purpose of speed limits is to place that flow at a speed that meets the needs and skill levels of most drivers.

Among the obligations of the safe driver are to not drive faster than the flow of traffic, and to be mindful and alert to the drivers who, for whatever reason, are going slower. Failing to respect those obligations, by itself, makes one an unsafe driver.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But you're not the only driver on the road. There are a lot of others who don't like to or are unable to drive as fast as you. Their driving ability may be compromised by age or physical limitations, or they just might not be as familiar as you are with the road. It would be hazardous for them to drive as fast as you want to, and your presence on the road, going a lot faster then they are, would be a perilous traffic scenario.

The ideal traffic flow has everyone going pretty much the same speed, and the purpose of speed limits is to place that flow at a speed that meets the needs and skill levels of most drivers.

Among the obligations of the safe driver are to not drive faster than the flow of traffic, and to be mindful and alert to the drivers who, for whatever reason, are going slower. Failing to respect those obligations, by itself, makes one an unsafe driver.
Traffic doesn't have to move at the same speed on multi-lane roads. And who decides the flow of traffic? The slowest driver?

It's perfectly safe and legal to pass slower drivers on roads that allow for it.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:30 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,002,673 times
I need to go there and speed. I earn so little i could live off the rebate.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I need to go there and speed. I earn so little i could live off the rebate.
I like the way you think....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive