Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,357 times

Advertisements

Requiring the manual transmission to be in neutral before starting makes more sense than pressing the clutch pedal while cranking. I can think of several advantages:

1. It will make the car compatible with all remote starters without any additional requirements.
2. You can reach through the window to start the car, or ask the front seat passenger to start the car for you.
3. It is safer. Assuming the parking brake is set, a car won't move if it is in neutral, period. On the other hand, a clutch safety switch allows the car to be started in gear and launch forward or backwards when the clutch is released.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 02:51 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Cheaper to put a clutch sensor in than a neutral sensor which accomplishes the same thing. The car should never be parked in neutral anyway so why shift to neutral for no reason?

Old 02-13-2012, 02:55 PM

24,451 posts, read 25,987,852 times
^^ There goes the remote start option.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:15 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
^^ There goes the remote start option.
Yup, that's why you can't get remote start from the factory on manuals. Too much of a liability concern.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Requiring the manual transmission to be in neutral before starting makes more sense than pressing the clutch pedal while cranking. I can think of several advantages:

1. It will make the car compatible with all remote starters without any additional requirements.
2. You can reach through the window to start the car, or ask the front seat passenger to start the car for you.
3. It is safer. Assuming the parking brake is set, a car won't move if it is in neutral, period. On the other hand, a clutch safety switch allows the car to be started in gear and launch forward or backwards when the clutch is released.

Thoughts?
a clutch safety switch is used because most people who drive a manual transmission car use the transmission reverse gear to hold the car in place with the engine off. most people do not put the trans in neutral to start the car, so it makes sense to install a clutch safety switch to force people to use the clutch to make sure the engine is disconnected from the rest of the drive train to prevent someone from starting the car and having it lurch in one direction or another and possibly hurt someone, or damage property.

it is a liability concern.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:20 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The car should never be parked in neutral anyway so why shift to neutral for no reason?
Where did you get this info?

When I attended drivers ed, they always taught us to park a manual by putting the trans in neutral and setting the parking brake.

Of course I prefer to just leave it in 1st or reverse.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:21 PM

167 posts, read 359,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
It is safer....a clutch safety switch allows the car to be started in gear and launch forward or backwards when the clutch is released.
Thoughts?
If my car is in gear and I release the clutch, it just stalls. It doesn't move unless I give it gas.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:46 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
most people do not put the trans in neutral to start the car, so it makes sense to install a clutch safety switch to force people to use the clutch to make sure the engine is disconnected from the rest of the drive train to prevent someone from starting the car and having it lurch in one direction or another and possibly hurt someone, or damage property.

it is a liability concern.
Most people that I know put the trans in Neutral, start the car, then idle the engine for a little while. They do park in gear though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycee View Post
If my car is in gear and I release the clutch, it just stalls. It doesn't move unless I give it gas.
When you start a cold engine, they usually run at 1200-1500 rpms until it warms up. At those rpm, it will move the car as soon as the clutch pedal is released.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:46 PM

412 posts, read 1,152,860 times
From what I recall, my ex 1994 Honda Civic required you to press the clutch lever to start the engine. The same thing with the 1998 Nissan Frontier truck. No matter what gear you are in, you still have to start with the clutch pressed in even it's in netural.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:01 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Where did you get this info?

When I attended drivers ed, they always taught us to park a manual by putting the trans in neutral and setting the parking brake.

Of course I prefer to just leave it in 1st or reverse.
I've had remote starters on three manuals, so I'm conditioned to leave them, and any other manual I drive, in neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycee View Post
Mine will keep on going, hot or cold. I can just about sidestep the clutch and it won't stall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
From what I recall, my ex 1994 Honda Civic required you to press the clutch lever to start the engine. The same thing with the 1998 Nissan Frontier truck. No matter what gear you are in, you still have to start with the clutch pressed in even it's in netural.
Toyota trucks used to be like that, but they also had a button to push to bypass it.

Permanently bypassing the clutch safety interlock is simple on every car I've tried, FWIW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive