Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:20 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times

Advertisements

Diesel pumps are usually put in a corner somewhere. The local Sunoco station I fill up used to have 3 gas pumps in a bay. At some point they replaced the middle pump with diesel. The other day I pulled in, swipe my credit card before realizing I am about to pump diesel. Of course now that I know it is not a problem but I think some kind of physical separation is not a bad idea. Is there a physical barrier preventing people from putting diesel in their gas tanks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 10:22 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Yes, the diesel nozzle is a different size than the gasoline tank so it will not fit properly.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Most grown-ups know how to read fuel pump labels.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:45 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,827,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Most grown-ups know how to read fuel pump labels.
It has never happened to me but it can happen to anyone.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:05 AM

224 posts, read 456,808 times
I like having the diesel on the outside, I'm usually towing something and it's not always easy to park at the middle pump. And then I block the pump behind me as well.

Also, if the green handle and word Diesel, and it being the most expensive fuel available isn't enough to tell you it's not gasoline, the larger filler is a pretty good hint.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:27 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
I have pumped at stations where the diesel nozzle is located on the same pump as the gasoline nozel. Usually it has a bright yellow hose instead of black.

I am not sure how good of an idea it is to place diesel in with gasoline pumps, but I do know it is a good idea to read which pump and buttons your pushing before filling up.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,748 posts, read 58,102,528 times
"Smart" is to brew your own diesel equivalent and not bother waiting at the pumps.

Separate Islands are a much better idea in Oregon and New Jersey where the typical skilled pump attendant (REQUIRED) likes to put GAS (ICK) in your diesel)

I prefer to have a separate Island with a BIG semi truck nozzle (they are too big for Ford fuel tanks, but I can top off a Rabbit in less than 30 seconds... not that I would want to stick Dino Diesel in one of my Rabbits!

Legally... you can pump your own diesel in Oregon... diesel is not dangerous! AND you are smart to pump your own diesel if you want to be sure to not get GAS (ICK).

BTW... GREEN does not always mean Diesel... Yellow pumps / handles are often Diesel too. I ALWAYS sniff the nozzle to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

Don't want no stink'n GAS (ICK)

Old 10-28-2014, 06:20 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,673,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I have pumped at stations where the diesel nozzle is located on the same pump as the gasoline nozel. Usually it has a bright yellow hose instead of black.

I am not sure how good of an idea it is to place diesel in with gasoline pumps, but I do know it is a good idea to read which pump and buttons your pushing before filling up.

As many have said, the diesel filler nozzle is much larger in diameter. If people fail to read the labels, the fact that the nozzle won't go into the tank should be a hint that it is the wrong fuel.

I've seen some of my old employees fill the diesel trucks I used to maintain with gas a few times, and I've had to drain the tanks and change all the filters. The sad part is that the diesel pumps were separate from the regular gas and it still managed to happen (probably once every 3 months). It's perfectly fine if people actually read what they are pumping before trying to pump.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:30 AM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Yes, the diesel nozzle is a different size than the gasoline tank so it will not fit properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
As many have said, the diesel filler nozzle is much larger in diameter. If people fail to read the labels, the fact that the nozzle won't go into the tank should be a hint that it is the wrong fuel.

I've seen some of my old employees fill the diesel trucks I used to maintain with gas a few times, and I've had to drain the tanks and change all the filters. The sad part is that the diesel pumps were separate from the regular gas and it still managed to happen (probably once every 3 months). It's perfectly fine if people actually read what they are pumping before trying to pump.
This is not always the case. 4 out of 5 times I fill up I see the nozzle is the same size as gas.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:39 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,673,246 times
Sorry - but you'll have to prove that. They are NOT the same size.....

The next time you're at the pump, try to stick the diesel nozzle in your tank. It's not going to fit. They were designed this way on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive