Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 10:07 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVW1XxK9Azg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFkOy0F5hGg

Great video(s) and two Great modern V-8 builds enjoy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 12:20 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
I just figured going in the LS3 would win based on it being on the market longer and having better aftermarket support and giving up over a liter in displacement. But the import guy in me just wanted the Coyote to have a really good showing with its DOHC 4v heads and higher redline. But the LS3 is just tough to beat.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:03 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Years back the flat head Ford was the engine of choice for all hot rodders. Ford refused to get with the program with OHV and by the time they did the SBC took over and never lost their standing as the engine of choice.
Now Chevy is hanging on to the pushrod V-8 when everybody else has moved on to OHC engines.

How much longer can Chevy stick with last century's technology?

When everything being equal like cubic inches, the OHC engine wins every time.

It's all in breathing and the four valve head wins every time.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

They were both invented around the same time...OHC vs OHV. So really, they are both "last century's technology."

Chevy knows how to build OHC engines, as they have used several of them along side the SBC and continue to do so today.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:22 PM

807 posts, read 1,353,619 times
Quote:
Years back the flat head Ford was the engine of choice for all hot rodders. Ford refused to get with the program with OHV and by the time they did the SBC took over and never lost their standing as the engine of choice.
Now Chevy is hanging on to the pushrod V-8 when everybody else has moved on to OHC engines.

Why fix something that isn't broke?

I wish I still had my '05 GTO with the LS2. Plenty of power and very easy to work on.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:48 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
They were both invented around the same time...OHC vs OHV. So really, they are both "last century's technology."

Chevy knows how to build OHC engines, as they have used several of them along side the SBC and continue to do so today.
I agree with that heck today a Modren small block 16-OHV V-8 is in all GM's top Vehicles from their Truck line up and Full-Size SUV's to their flagship sports car Corvette Z06 and Luxury Car Cadillac CTS-V and Escalade SUV.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I agree with that heck today a Modren small block 16-OHV V-8 is in all GM's top Vehicles from their Truck line up and Full-Size SUV's to their flagship sports car Corvette Z06 and Luxury Car Cadillac CTS-V and Escalade SUV.
Exactly and they have DOHC high feature V6s and DOHC Ecotecs I4s in everything else. Including high power turbos in the ATS-V and Cadillac V sports. Although Northstar is gone, Im pretty sure a DOHC V8 will resurface in a Cadillac someday soon.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:47 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
Why fix something that isn't broke?

I wish I still had my '05 GTO with the LS2. Plenty of power and very easy to work on.
There is only one way to settle this dispute about which is better.

Let the Ford and GM factories go head to head in a battle of the Push rod vs OHC in a 24 hr endurance race to see who comes out on top after 24 hrs.

Just to make things fair lets take two cylinders away from the Ford and reduce the amount of boost from the Turbos.
I wonder how that will turn out?

Old 07-01-2016, 07:00 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post

to expand on Tourian's post...

OHC is a subset of the OHV family, as OHV stands for Over Head Valve (as opposed to Flathead or L head design). OHC still has the valve Over Head, it's just that the cams are up there, too.

OHC engines have been around since 1918. The first American DOHC engines were in the '32 Stutz and Deusenbergs, with 32 valve DOHC 8 cyl engines. In fact, the pushrod OHV V8 was invented as the high tech, compact, lower cost answer to the big OHC engines. Advanced metallurgy allowed for a compact thinwall V8 that made more power for less money, taking up less physical space.

So both the OHC and pushrod OHV V8s are "last century's technology." The ONLY advances in both are metallurgy and production tolerances, and in electronic engine management. The Coyote is a smaller displacement engine, but physically MUCH larger and heavier than the compact pushrod GM LS family of engines.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:15 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times
Quote:

The thing is that it works.

If one looks a high performance German/ Italian engines with all the newest fangled tech, they just don't last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive