Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 05:28 AM

39 posts, read 27,659 times

Advertisements

Wow, great to hear! I'm not too concerned about the power, it says it's rated to tow 6,200 lbs and the most i will prob ever do is 4k and that's rare. It's more often than not 3k max.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 07:02 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauxctrack View Post
116k miles
4x4
Has only needed oil maintenance, new tires, maybe a new battery.

We got it from our neighbor friend who took great care of it and did his own synthetic oil changes etc. He said it runs great never had any problems, they just needed something heavier duty for a toy hauler and quads.

All we plan to use it for is towing a pop-up camper on maybe 4 big trips a year from Phoenix to san Diego with your typical cargo- bikes, igloo coolers, clothes, dog crates, 2 kids and 2 dogs.

I know all cars are different, but assuming the truck is only used for maybe 4k miles a year, is there any reason if well maintained this truck couldn't last another 20 years? The way I see it 20 years x 4k miles a year still keeps it under 200k total miles, which plenty of trucks have around or easily more. I don't know if age will have more of an effect over miles at that point though.
I bought a 2001 F150 Supercab Lariat 4X4 with 17,000 miles from an elderly gentleman. I only put on about 2000 miles a year as I have a small SUV I use for work and errands. I have same plan as you to keep it another 20 years or so. A truck is handy to have around.
Attached Thumbnails
00, '07 F-150 4.6l v8 triton ext cab. Good deal?-truck1.jpg  

Old 11-06-2016, 08:44 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Not bad at all. That truck would probably be 20 grand at a dealer!
If it was a diesel then I'd agree with you

Old 11-06-2016, 10:12 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Quote:
2001 F150 Supercab Lariat 4X4
Be aware that the series of engines used in that year model are prone and notorious for spitting spark plugs out of the heads. The issue is the heads only have 4 threads to hold the plugs. The soft aluminum won't put up with spark plugs not torqued correctly. The plugs MUST be torqued to EXACTLY 28 lbs or expect issues. The fix is a Timecert, NOT a helicoil, if you have a plug blow out. If you hear what sounds like a clicking noise, make sure to check the plugs. The exhaust manifolds are another issue and they are prone to leaking at the head. Should you get idle issues with the 5.4 2V, replace the entire PCV system. It will cost you about 90 bucks for the dealer only parts. The issue is the PCV hose gets pinholes in bend of the hose and the ECM can't account for the extra air. The erratic idle can drive you nutz trying to find the issue. Nice looking truck and is considered by many to be a classic F150.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:51 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Not a $9500 truck, but that's definitely a market deal in regards to price and just what is out there for you. Should last, though.

No cam phasers, but like Trapper mentioned, you'll probably deal with the pcv issue. I'm dealing with that on our company '04 Heritage truck. Changed the pcv valve, which solved the hunting idle, but I'll have to grab a new elbow and do more gymnastics to get behind the intake again.

I'm thinking my next f150 will be another 01-03 with a v6 and just get good at removing door panels to fix worn cables on the suicide door latches...not much better to reach under the cowl, but easier to deal with.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:24 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Be aware that the series of engines used in that year model are prone and notorious for spitting spark plugs out of the heads. The issue is the heads only have 4 threads to hold the plugs. The soft aluminum won't put up with spark plugs not torqued correctly. The plugs MUST be torqued to EXACTLY 28 lbs or expect issues. The fix is a Timecert, NOT a helicoil, if you have a plug blow out. If you hear what sounds like a clicking noise, make sure to check the plugs. The exhaust manifolds are another issue and they are prone to leaking at the head. Should you get idle issues with the 5.4 2V, replace the entire PCV system. It will cost you about 90 bucks for the dealer only parts. The issue is the PCV hose gets pinholes in bend of the hose and the ECM can't account for the extra air. The erratic idle can drive you nutz trying to find the issue. Nice looking truck and is considered by many to be a classic F150.
Is the spark plug spitting issue with original plugs or when they are replaced and not torqued correctly? With the low amount of miles I put on a year, it might be a long time before I change the original plugs miles wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive