Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 03:00 PM

957 posts, read 2,022,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Tax is 3% in my state and some vehicles can’t be leased...like a Raptor.

So, on a 40k vehicle, you are out $1,200 in taxes, plus title and licenses fees, plus any dealer doc fee before you even move the car. $1,500-$2,000 of the $5,000 is already gone even without any depreciation.

Seems like form the other posts in the thread, its becoming clear that $5k per year probably isn't going to happen, but 8-10k probably might not be impossible if you select the right vehicle and are willing to work to get a good private party resale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 06:31 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
So, on a 40k vehicle, you are out $1,200 in taxes, plus title and licenses fees, plus any dealer doc fee before you even move the car. $1,500-$2,000 of the $5,000 is already gone even without any depreciation.

Seems like form the other posts in the thread, its becoming clear that $5k per year probably isn't going to happen, but 8-10k probably might not be impossible if you select the right vehicle and are willing to work to get a good private party resale.
$5k would probably take finding a good deal on a car that stays hot for a while - like the Raptor when they came out or a 2017 Civic Type R.

I’ll say that I’m perfectly fine with this experiment costing anything under $9-10k/year. I’d probably feel good if I could average out to $7500/year.

In ten years I will have spent $75,000 but I would’ve likely been out $25k anyway on some boring crap box I’d drive for 10 years. Net loss = $50k.

Ten years..
ten cool cool cars...
...driven as hard as you want as much as you want...

Price: $50,000

Sign. Me. Up.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:55 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
Quote:
Talking about buying a car cash for say $40k. Drive it say 1 year or so and resale it for $35k...maybe even $33-$34k. My net loss is $5-7k per year and I get to drive a different car every year.

Another possibility I thought of is the Tacoma...maybe something cool like a Tacoma or 4Runner Pro? Those seem to hold value extremely well.
If you buy a car for $40k, you're paying almost $4k in sales tax (assuming you're in CA or other state with similar car tax), so that's already a chunk of your budget every year.

Edited to add: Looks like this has already been commented on and doesn't apply to your state ... have fun!

Old 11-12-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
If you buy a car for $40k, you're paying almost $4k in sales tax (assuming you're in CA or other state with similar car tax), so that's already a chunk of your budget every year.

Edited to add: Looks like this has already been commented on and doesn't apply to your state ... have fun!
Im in NC with 3% tax.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:45 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Well I feel I sacrificed a little to retire earlier than anyone I know. I’m still young, but for many years I put my love of cars on the back burner. I been driving a Prius for 11 years now.

On the very bright side - I did this for a reason...now I’m in a position where I could easily spend $5,000-$6,000/year to drive cars I even looked at in over a decade. Retirement is covered. Savings. Travel budget, etc.

Any recommendations on what vehicle I should start with?

I’m thinking a new Civic Type R...I loved import tuner cars when I was teen. It seems like 1-2 year old models are selling for about $3-4K less than new. I’m open to anything though as I’ll be swapping cars often.

Btw - I will keep the Prius and don’t plan on driving whatever car I get more than 7-8k miles per year so that should keep resale value high.

Why not just lay back and take a nap and maybe that extravagant idea will fade away? You may think that you have all your financial bases covered, but spending that much every year, just to have a different car, might impoverish you over time. Why not find just one good car that will last you another 11 years?

Old 11-13-2019, 12:19 AM

18,744 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Well I feel I sacrificed a little to retire earlier than anyone I know. I’m still young, but for many years I put my love of cars on the back burner. I been driving a Prius for 11 years now.

On the very bright side - I did this for a reason...now I’m in a position where I could easily spend $5,000-$6,000/year to drive cars I even looked at in over a decade. Retirement is covered. Savings. Travel budget, etc.

Any recommendations on what vehicle I should start with?

I’m thinking a new Civic Type R...I loved import tuner cars when I was teen. It seems like 1-2 year old models are selling for about $3-4K less than new. I’m open to anything though as I’ll be swapping cars often.

Btw - I will keep the Prius and don’t plan on driving whatever car I get more than 7-8k miles per year so that should keep resale value high.
Test drive a new Honda Accord Hybrid before you make your decision. I don't need to say more.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:44 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
So there’s no vehicles I could drive for 1 year losing less than ~$6k net? Keep in mind being retired I could put less than 6,000 miles per year on the vehicles - they would be in prestige condition...1 owner...with the window sticker lol.

I just looked up the 2019 Toyota Tacoma Pro with 5k miles vs 2018 Tacoma Pro with 10k miles and the price difference is like $2-3k (low 40ks). Brand new they cost about $46k I believe. So that seems like 1-1.5 years of use for roughly $5-6k + any fees. Would it be all that bad? Call it $8500 on an average year. A loss of ~$700 per month to drive a cool new car every year?

BTW - I reselling the vehicles listed on autotrader for a hefty discount compared to dealers.
When trading cars often, dealer markup of cars for sale and dealer markdown of trade-in value are really going to kill you.

Buy and sell private party instead.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:34 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Why not just lay back and take a nap and maybe that extravagant idea will fade away? You may think that you have all your financial bases covered, but spending that much every year, just to have a different car, might impoverish you over time. Why not find just one good car that will last you another 11 years?
How much money can I spend on a bunch of cars for 10 years?

All is an exercise is website forum fun !

Old 11-13-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
When trading cars often, dealer markup of cars for sale and dealer markdown of trade-in value are really going to kill you.

Buy and sell private party instead.
Yeah, I’d be better off buying cars that can easily be sold to a private party.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:39 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
I see a lot of doubt towards this plan, but I did something similar one summer when I wanted to take a 4 month RV trip around the country between finishing law school and starting my law job.

Everyone told me I was crazy, but I bought an RV sight unseen on ebay for $15,600. Picked it up a couple states away, then drove it 15,000 miles. When I returned, I sold it on ebay. I listed it at $10,000, thinking that if I lost $5,600 all-in, it was still cheaper than renting, but to my amazement, it sold for $15,100. So it cost me $500 + $1k in tax to "rent" this thing for 4 months.

I did spend a few hundred on maintenance and minor repairs along the journey (oil changes, diy brake pad swaps, refrigerator repair, other light fixes), but it matches the theme of this thread- buying and selling can work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive