Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2022, 09:45 AM

37,130 posts, read 39,371,920 times

Advertisements

https://insideevs.com/news/590336/fo...rging-adapter/

Putting this in the general automotive forum as it applies to two different automakers and is maybe a harbinger of larger trends of vehicle to vehicle charging among EVs.

Quote:
"I took delivery of my 2022 Lightning and as I’m going through the included items I found an adapter to charge Teslas. Interesting find. If I find any dead Teslas I’ll let my Ford Lightning come to the rescue."
Pretty odd choice and tacks just a tiny bit more cost if Ford's projected delivery volumes come true, but I guess someone might find this helpful?

It is nice though that EVs can charge other EVs relatively easily. I'm still curious as to which EV will be the first to be able to DC charge another vehicle. Certainly the batteries are able to output pretty high kWs since the motors of many of these vehicles are in the hundreds of kW output range. The F-150 Lightning with the extended pack has motors that combined are rated for 433 kW (580 hp; 588 PS) peak which is far higher than what any mass production EV charger can output.

GM's got a patent for having dual charging ports which supposedly can allow for daisy chaining charging among EVs though no word yet on if this means high kW DC output will come of this. What I don't love about the schematic is that the ports are right next to each other. At worst, I think they should be on opposite sides of the vehicle if possible or possibly one there and then another one up in front of the vehicle.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 09:58 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,239,198 times
So when will they figure out an equivalent of mid-air refueling? Passenger in the F-150 controlling a boom and connect to the receiving car?

Old 06-06-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
So when will they figure out an equivalent of mid-air refueling? Passenger in the F-150 controlling a boom and connect to the receiving car?
Ha, that'd be pretty wild!

There has been a lot of wireless charging research though that's not for vehicle to vehicle. More like parking space to vehicle or (lower speed) roadway to vehicle. The latter is kind of reminiscent of an old SNES game from over three decades back called F-Zero.

There are also a few EVs with solar panels mounted on them in development right now though these would be pretty slow trickle charging lest you have something ultra efficient like the Aptera.

Old 06-06-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Ha, that'd be pretty wild!

There has been a lot of wireless charging research though that's not for vehicle to vehicle. More like parking space to vehicle or (lower speed) roadway to vehicle. The latter is kind of reminiscent of an old SNES game from over three decades back called F-Zero.

There are also a few EVs with solar panels mounted on them in development right now though these would be pretty slow trickle charging lest you have something ultra efficient like the Aptera.
Nikola Tesla's wireless power would be a good solution. But billing for power just broadcast freely would be a challenge...

https://teslasciencecenter.org/teslas-wireless-power/

Old 06-06-2022, 10:50 AM

3,198 posts, read 1,662,548 times
There's big business if you can charge other EVs that are stranded on the road. Right now, Tesla sends out one of their trucks that has a portable charger. You can also use a portable generator to charge your EV but it's very inefficient.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:25 AM

393 posts, read 275,780 times
I intended to charge our e-bikes with my Lightning while out at our beach condo...if I ever get one.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Nikola Tesla's wireless power would be a good solution. But billing for power just broadcast freely would be a challenge...

https://teslasciencecenter.org/teslas-wireless-power/

Right, that's pretty exciting. The ones that are being deployed first to do a wireless NFC handshake before transferring power and is pretty directed and short range so it's not quite the same thing.

Hell, just shoot lasers at each other--that's pretty tight.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
There's big business if you can charge other EVs that are stranded on the road. Right now, Tesla sends out one of their trucks that has a portable charger. You can also use a portable generator to charge your EV but it's very inefficient.
I did see a Tesla on the side of the road plugged into a Honda generator once.

Old 06-06-2022, 01:49 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,041,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb1067 View Post
I intended to charge our e-bikes with my Lightning while out at our beach condo...if I ever get one.
Ever get a what, ebike, Lightning, or condo?

Old 06-06-2022, 03:35 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
Quote:
Guess they could drive parallel down the road…but would restrict passing…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive