Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 03:06 PM

313 posts, read 208,405 times

Advertisements

I trust/enjoy/appreciate Toyota AND Lexus. For me, those are the very first manufacturers I consider when looking for a new (or used) vehicle.

In 2020 I was ready to purchase a new SUV. I narrowed down my choices to the Toyota RAV4 and Lexus NX. It was an easy choice for me. I test drove both and concluded that the Lexus had a better build, and more cushy, luxurious ride/feel. The prices were roughly $35k vs $45k. I decided that it was worth the extra $10k for the better build/ride.

If the price difference were double, then maybe I would've decided differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2023, 06:21 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
My Lexus offers much better seat adjustments than the Toyota RAV4 my daughter owned. As a petite woman being able to properly adjust the seat and the steering wheel is important to me. It's also a much smoother and quieter drive.

We no longer purchase a brand new vehicle. The last two Lexus we purchased were 2-3 years old and coming off of leases or resold. One had a bit more miles than I liked, but I also knew I barely drive enough in a month to fill up the gas tank. It would even out over time. The other was lower mileage and remains very low given it's age.

Old 03-06-2023, 06:37 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Does Lexus even have a model which is comparable to a Corolla? I would think the smallest/most comparable pair would be a Camry and an ES.

Old 03-06-2023, 07:07 PM

1,063 posts, read 910,299 times
higher resell value?

Old 03-06-2023, 09:02 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,605,486 times
My OP was a Question, not an opinion or a value judgment. Here it is again: Toyota owns the proprietary rights to any Lexus secrets. Why not use them to make Toyota comparable to Lexus? I get that it's a different platform size and engine power, but why not brakes or power window? Will the 2028 Corolla have the same braking as the 2023 Lexus? Why not now?

'

Old 03-06-2023, 09:08 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
My OP was a Question, not an opinion or a value judgment. Here it is again: Toyota owns the proprietary rights to any Lexus secrets. Why not use them to make Toyota comparable to Lexus? I get that it's a different platform size and engine power, but why not brakes or power window? Will the 2028 Corolla have the same braking as the 2023 Lexus? Why not now?

'
That’s more or less what always happens, whether or not anybody owns the rights.

Would you have foreseen standard power locks and windows and automatic climate control standard in a $13000 Mitsubishi Mirage a couple of decades ago? That we’d have fuel injection on every engine in the 70s? That air conditioning would eventually not merely be an option? That we’d have touchscreens in basically every car?

I don’t even care to have most of those things, but if you want to get the cool stuff now, you pony up the ca$h, and you’ll also get the luxury car treatment (presumably): tight finishing, quiet interiors, etc.

Old 03-06-2023, 09:25 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,863,405 times
So, I don't get one thing. Why does the OP think that Lexus and Corolla should be the same price? Because he/she wants to buy a Lexus at a Toyota price? So, inherently, we agree that the Lexus is more desirable, but would rather pay Toyota Price for it

Now, I have not owned a Lexus yet but rode in many and yes, it has higher quality and less noise than the Toyota. They tend to be very reliable too. Toyota tends to start putting newer tech in the Lexus models and then trickle it down to the Toyota models 5-6 yrs later.

Old 03-07-2023, 01:47 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Current USA MSRP of a Corolla is $21,500. Lexus squeaks in pennies under $40,000. For double the price, what does a Lexus buyer get, and what does he not get? Is it all just "extras" with the same brand assumption of reliability?
Sorry but this sounds like my mother in laws response yesterday when I asked how her son (my Bro in law) liked his new $100K+ BMW, she said " I don't know, a car's a car." She drives a Toyota Camry so I guess she thinks the same as you.

For me, all cars are not the same, some I like to drive and some I don't, I would be very uncomfortable in a tiny car like a Corolla and there are Lexus vehicles that I would be comfortable in. I do understand that the Corolla does provide reliable transportation at a low price.

Old 03-07-2023, 03:06 AM

5,828 posts, read 2,950,800 times
Driver a later LS460 Or a nice ls430. If you can’t tell a difference, Corolla was made for folks like you.
Report back.

Old 03-07-2023, 03:11 AM

5,828 posts, read 2,950,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Sorry but this sounds like my mother in laws response yesterday when I asked how her son (my Bro in law) liked his new $100K+ BMW, she said " I don't know, a car's a car." She drives a Toyota Camry so I guess she thinks the same as you.

For me, all cars are not the same, some I like to drive and some I don't, I would be very uncomfortable in a tiny car like a Corolla and there are Lexus vehicles that I would be comfortable in. I do understand that the Corolla does provide reliable transportation at a low price.
In a way cars are so good today that they can feel like they are the same.
Ur not all cars feel t(r same for those who love cars. Same goes for speakers or watches.

But there are a lot of people who are after an image, status. This is were lease programs come in to serve the needs of the simpletons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive