Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 09:42 AM

9,528 posts, read 4,355,571 times

Advertisements

I haven't had a winter staring failure since 1976, at which time my 1970 Corolla wouldn't start, which was probably for the best since it had no heat and the wipers didn't work. Plus, waves of frigid air entering through the rust holes littering the body and floor pan.

Fast forwarding to modern times, I have 6 cars and trucks, as well as 3 street legal motorcycles. The oldest is a 1992 GMC Typhoon and the newest is a 2022 Honda Ridgeline. I probably drive all of these combined less than 1,000 miles per year, so they tend to sit unused for extended periods. All have been connected to NOCO Genius battery maintainers since day one and none has every failed to start and the batteries last forever. I have never had to replace a battery since using NOCO chargers. I have one that is 10 years old and still tests like a new battery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2023, 02:06 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,766,189 times
How ironic. I went to go out yesterday and my car would not start. Lights and electronics worked but when trying to start it, all I could here was click, click of the starter solenoid. Called Triple A. They were here within 90 minutes. $220 for battery and installation. Turns out the battery was original (2017) Ford Explorer battery.

All is well. Happy Holidays to all.

Old 01-10-2024, 11:24 PM

1,070 posts, read 788,979 times
Default More of the best winter care tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
How ironic. I went to go out yesterday and my car would not start. Lights and electronics worked but when trying to start it, all I could here was click, click of the starter solenoid. Called Triple A. They were here within 90 minutes. $220 for battery and installation. Turns out the battery was original (2017) Ford Explorer battery.

All is well. Happy Holidays to all.

Thanks for the tip Triple A makes it easy. It looks like you had a great battery lasting as long as it did.

Found more of the best winter car tips. Here's a video that makes Winter car care easy and easy is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj9y...annel=ChrisFix

Also found the State laws the cover Snow chains by state. It's information about winter snow chains and what a driver needs to know.

https://www.tirechainsrus.com/educat...20Laws,Florida

Old 01-11-2024, 05:55 AM

12,508 posts, read 9,595,585 times
Another thing to look out for in really cold weather, is water in the gasoline separating out in the fuel tank. The water will float on top of the fuel, but when the tank level gets lower, it can be pulled into the fuel line and then freeze, blocking the fuel line and stranding the vehicle. There are various brands nowadays, but something like "Dry Gas" is a fuel additive that allows the gasoline and water to become miscible and form a solution, and then the water won't freeze.

Old 01-11-2024, 07:40 AM

Default Dry Gas is an excellent suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Another thing to look out for in really cold weather, is water in the gasoline separating out in the fuel tank. The water will float on top of the fuel, but when the tank level gets lower, it can be pulled into the fuel line and then freeze, blocking the fuel line and stranding the vehicle. There are various brands nowadays, but something like "Dry Gas" is a fuel additive that allows the gasoline and water to become miscible and form a solution, and then the water won't freeze.

Dry Gas is an excellent suggestion in the winter months. As you have mentioned it's a good product to use to eliminate water in your gas or diesel tank and more importantly from getting into your fuel filter or fuel lines and causing your engine to stall when that water turns to ice.. Dry gas is sold every where from big box discount stores to auto parts, convenience stores, and grocery stores.

Dry gas not expensive, read the label and add dry gas after you have filled your fuel tank just before extreme cold snaps once or twice a winter. Be Careful not to get any dry gas on your cars paint as brought out in the owners manual.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:30 AM

12,508 posts, read 9,595,585 times
Quote:
Ooops, I screwed up this explanation - gas floats on water, I'm getting old! ;-)

Old 01-11-2024, 10:16 AM

334 posts, read 172,891 times
Quote:
Ooops, I screwed up this explanation - gas floats on water, I'm getting old! ;-)
This can be minimized by keeping the tank full. In addition to what you mentioned, the part of the tank surface that is empty collects condensation.
Better yet, drive the car and get fresh fuel often.

Old 01-12-2024, 05:52 PM

20,295 posts, read 37,216,793 times
Quote:
I noticed the mistake and decided to stay quiet about it, just because you seem to be quite a cool person posting in this forum. So there, I said it

It is true that moisture entering the tank ends up at the bottom (gasoline and diesel fuel are lighter than water). Water freezes at 32º F (0º C).

Instead of Heet (the one in the red color bottle) that most around here prefer, I use Seafoam because it is made of petroleum distillates and also is a fuel preservative, which is a plus if not driving the car very much. I pour some Seafoam in the snowblower's tank, ATV, UTV, and even chainsaws. But as long as one uses a chainsaw fuel that contains preservatives-like the ones from Stihl, and some of the pre-mixed ones sold at the stores-Seafoam is not needed unless one allows for a few water droplets to get in the tank by mistake. The latter can happen with the chainsaw fuels one mixes when raining.

Stihl fuel is quite expensive, but I don't need more than a gallon of it for the Stihl chainsaw, trimmer, and leaf blower I have. I do use the leaf blower to blow the dry and fluffy snow off the vehicles parked outside. It does not work on snow that is heavy or wet

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-12-2024 at 06:11 PM..

Old 01-15-2024, 08:13 AM

3,380 posts, read 9,215,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Navigate View Post
This can be minimized by keeping the tank full. In addition to what you mentioned, the part of the tank surface that is empty collects condensation.
Better yet, drive the car and get fresh fuel often.
A gas tank can never be full. There is significant space in the tank to allow for expansion.

Random trivia....I have an older VW diesel vehicle. Diesel doesn't expand when hot like gas. But the fuel tank in my car shares the same expansion space as the gas version. With one simple trick I can literally fuel the tank to one hundred percent full including the filler neck. I can squeeze in almost two additional gallons.

So, that's how big the expansion area is in an older car. I would imagine it's about the same for modern cars.

Old 01-15-2024, 08:52 AM

Default Always stop filling your car when the filler shuts itself off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
A gas tank can never be full. There is significant space in the tank to allow for expansion.

Random trivia....I have an older VW diesel vehicle. Diesel doesn't expand when hot like gas. But the fuel tank in my car shares the same expansion space as the gas version. With one simple trick I can literally fuel the tank to one hundred percent full including the filler neck. I can squeeze in almost two additional gallons.

So, that's how big the expansion area is in an older car. I would imagine it's about the same for modern cars.
Always stop filling your car when the gas filler handle shuts itself off if you have a gas car or you will ruin you charcoal canister which is part of your gas evap system. That mistake has cost car and truck owners a lot of money and set a lot of codes, needing resetting after such repairs.

I have owned a number of diesels most of them class 8 semi's and in the winter the problems are about glow plugs, battery power, and oil needing to be heated in extreme cold to lesson it's viscosity. Don't fill yours too much right before parking or a temperture change of 60 plus degrees the next day could educate you about fuel expandion and the pressure vessel fuel containment system creating a diesel spill and possibly doing system damage if vents or pressure valves fail.

Also A word about GPS.

Global positioning system GPS makes winter travels easy.
With winter snow, ice, sleet, making it hard to see road and street signs
GPS's in winter is the way to go. GSP's see the road way ahead of you and gives you time to spend on driving conditions rather than looking for road signs especially during detours in areas you are not familiar with during bad weather.

GPS's are on phones also built in the new vehicles We have a portable GPS which can be use in either of our cars. Today GPS’s have lifetime map updates. We have our GPS mount fixed right to the dash. In less than a minute we snap our GPS on its mount, Plug it in to power and we are ready for a cross country adventure.

Reading maps is a must have skill but if you have a GPS traveling is easier and you can select multiple routes, with or without tolls.
Drive safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive