Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 06:53 AM

10,810 posts, read 4,506,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

I have a 2013 Chevy pickup, crank windows/rubber floors/regular cab and it has tire pressure monitoring and that was pretty basic 11 yrs ago.

sidebar, I got my uncles 2013 GMC 1500WT from his estate last summer....he ordered the actual WT package, and added only auto tranny, tow package, and the 4.8. it has manual locks and windows which means GMC had to remove this from the line to DELETE parts to add parts they really dont make as every other model has PW/PL. So I stop in walmart last night to get yet another key and they have this gizmo machine that just scans the keys and asks you some questions. The walmart guy says it takes card only so I look at the screen: $300 bill. Wha???? It says I have a FOB to program and that is what they charge for 2 seconds of work. problem is, I dont have a FOB, I have no power locks and no, it is not a security key!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 07:51 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I don't disagree with the bulk of your comments, but with respect to modern cars, you can't deny that they are far more complicated than cars were, even as little as 20 years ago. Therefore, while they offer all of the "pluses" that you mentioned, when they do break down, repairing them is more complicated and expensive....
Internal timing chains are probably the one thing I hate the most about modern cars. Each engine requires unique tools and such to do the job and it's just a PITA overall due to what needs to be removed for access (vehicle specific).

What sucks is I anecdotally read about many vehicles having timing chain issues within the 100-150K mile mark that it turns me off. Sure, if you've done a couple dozen they might be no big deal, but for a DIY'er who might only do one on a particular platform and needs to acquire the tools and get up to speed on the unique processes required for that engine, it's a PITA. Almost better to sub it out and just fork over the $$$. Time vs money thing at that point.

I did one timing chain set on a Ford 3.5L (along with water pump) and the cost of the tools, plus time spent researching the job and doing it, I felt it wasn't worth it in the end. Next time I just pay someone and sit on the couch and relax.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:08 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
We're a Honda family. Have a Civic and an Accord. Both very dependable and trouble-free. We do regular maintenance. We've had two Ford products before (Focus and Van) and both had too many problems

Old 01-31-2024, 09:18 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Internal timing chains are probably the one thing I hate the most about modern cars. Each engine requires unique tools and such to do the job and it's just a PITA overall due to what needs to be removed for access (vehicle specific).

What sucks is I anecdotally read about many vehicles having timing chain issues within the 100-150K mile mark that it turns me off. Sure, if you've done a couple dozen they might be no big deal, but for a DIY'er who might only do one on a particular platform and needs to acquire the tools and get up to speed on the unique processes required for that engine, it's a PITA. Almost better to sub it out and just fork over the $$$. Time vs money thing at that point.

I did one timing chain set on a Ford 3.5L (along with water pump) and the cost of the tools, plus time spent researching the job and doing it, I felt it wasn't worth it in the end. Next time I just pay someone and sit on the couch and relax.
I agree. It's not like the "old days" of GM RWD cars, where a timing chain can be replaced in one Saturday's worth of time....

Old 01-31-2024, 10:39 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
We are still driving our 1992 Toyota Corolla (it's our beater). Every time we need service, the mechanics ask if we want to sell it. Just yesterday someone told us it's worth holding onto considering the price of used cars because the engine and drive train can last forever.
Also been told that they wanted to be mechanics, not electrical engineers, which makes perfect sense to me.

Old 01-31-2024, 01:16 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
You guys have a good point about maybe resurrecting an old truck that any mechanic can work on.

Old 01-31-2024, 01:23 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I'm afraid of when/if I have to buy a new car. I want simple to operate, not all the electronics, want a CD player, etc.

Old 01-31-2024, 01:24 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
You are not alone.

Old 01-31-2024, 01:26 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
You guys have a good point about maybe resurrecting an old truck that any mechanic can work on.
The thing with that is that those guys are retiring/dying.

Old 01-31-2024, 01:47 PM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The thing with that is that those guys are retiring/dying.
So you buy a tool kit and some Chiltons and Motor manuals and learn how to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive