Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 06:48 PM

635 posts, read 784,205 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for a small used car for my daughter. There are many ex-rental cars just out of warranty for sale. Many Kias and Ford focus. reviews for these models are not good. Engine issues for both makes. While priced right the very smallest and cheapest cars have a rough ride from my experience. I've considered Toyota Corollas and Honda Civics. I'm not sure about Mazdas. Maybe readers here have some recommendations. for an economy car for around 10-12 thousand dollars, with around 120000 miles or less. 2014 or newer. Thats what my bank will approve. I imagine this would help many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 06:53 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,164,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
I've been looking for a small used car for my daughter. There are many ex-rental cars just out of warranty for sale. Many Kias and Ford focus. reviews for these models are not good. Engine issues for both makes. While priced right the very smallest and cheapest cars have a rough ride from my experience. I've considered Toyota Corollas and Honda Civics. I'm not sure about Mazdas. Maybe readers here have some recommendations. for an economy car for around 10-12 thousand dollars, with around 120000 miles or less. 2014 or newer. Thats what my bank will approve. I imagine this would help many people.

When they started driving my kids got small SUVs and it saved my son's life when he was hit (since he was higher off the ground when a lady drove into his door).

He was driving an older Ford Escape.

I would stay away from small sedans.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:07 PM

3,267 posts, read 1,747,333 times
As someone who sold cars out of a five brand dealership, I'd suggest Honda or Toyota.
motion for an SUV as opposed to a sedan seconded.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:24 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Take a pick:

https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/...die/index.html

Much more reliable that anything, you can buy after 2014. MUCH less expensive. We brought a niece and nephew on that help Ukraine program, got them RX300 and LeSabre. Grans total for both $7K. Nephew is spoiled with "european" taste for their cars but even he had to admit that that Buick is a good car.
Of course, if you want to spend all that money for a first car for a new driver - sure. Non of my.....

Old 02-23-2024, 07:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
There is a reason why the Kia and Focus are cheaper, you get what you pay for. When my oldest needed a car we went with the Mazda 3, and years later after getting married and two kids it was still running with 200,000 miles. Both the Corolla and Civic are reliable, at a higher price, but I agree with a small SUV such as the Rav4 or CRV, both will cost more but well worth it.

Old 02-23-2024, 07:26 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
just leased a 2024 Kia Niro Hybrid not a plug in just a regular hybrid. we are getting 47 mpg it’s a small SUV we love it.

Old 02-23-2024, 07:45 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
When they started driving my kids got small SUVs and it saved my son's life when he was hit (since he was higher off the ground when a lady drove into his door).
I'd bet any amount of money he would have been fine in a safe sedan. They do exist. and they are pretty safe in side collisions. It's truly only front end collisions where SUVs are safer.

There's far too many SUVs that have mediocre crash test results. Not a lot of sedans do.

Whatever you get, just make sure it's good great NHTSA ratings.

Old 02-23-2024, 08:38 AM

4,626 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'd bet any amount of money he would have been fine in a safe sedan. They do exist. and they are pretty safe in side collisions. It's truly only front end collisions where SUVs are safer.

There's far too many SUVs that have mediocre crash test results. Not a lot of sedans do.
I'd bet he would have been safer in a sedan than lifted hatchback.

Buy them a Civic or Corolla. Don't worry about anything.
Corollas have barely changed since 2000. The E170 got new engines in 2013. The E210 in 19/20 finally is a new car.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:46 AM

12,420 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
I agree with your assessment that a subcompact sacrifices too much in comfort and safety. I think your instinct to go with a Toyota or a Honda is a good one. When you see a brand/model where the book value falls off quickly after a handful of years... on the one hand, you can save some money at purchase time, but on the other hand, the higher depreciation tells you that there is relatively low demand for them as a used car.

Old 02-26-2024, 03:41 PM

10,477 posts, read 6,991,011 times
Just stick with the Honda or Toyota. Personally, i'd get something a bit larger than a civic or corolla like an accord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive