Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 06:56 AM

7,114 posts, read 4,833,273 times

Advertisements

I drive a 2020 Hyundai Veloster, automatic transmission. My husband drives a newer, higher end car, also automatic trans, that goes into park automatically when you kill the engine.

The other evening we were in my car, he was driving. He parked, shut off the engine, did not put it in park because he’s used to his car. It happened that we were parked on a slight incline, so when he took his foot off the brake, the car started to roll back.

I always thought if a car was still in Drive (in gear), that it could not roll. Is that only true for manual transmissions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM

7,192 posts, read 9,329,700 times
An automatic transmission has a part called a "parking pawl" which mechanically engages to prevent the vehicle from rolling backward if parked on a hill.

I suspect that in his car, that part is automatically engaged by the software in lieu of a mechanical direct link.

Old 02-26-2024, 07:16 AM

25,587 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I drive a 2020 Hyundai Veloster, automatic transmission. My husband drives a newer, higher end car, also automatic trans, that goes into park automatically when you kill the engine.

The other evening we were in my car, he was driving. He parked, shut off the engine, did not put it in park because he’s used to his car. It happened that we were parked on a slight incline, so when he took his foot off the brake, the car started to roll back.

I always thought if a car was still in Drive (in gear), that it could not roll. Is that only true for manual transmissions?
Yes.
Funny how new automotive technology causes us to develop habits that are inappropriate for older models.

Old 02-26-2024, 08:31 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,694,630 times
Quote:
Well, first of all, there is no "Drive" on a manual transmission.

Secondly, if you stop a manual transmission car in gear, what resists its movement is the compression of the engine. The car can roll, by rotation of the engine. This is how push-starting works - you put the car in third gear and push it, which makes the engine rotate and starts the car. If you're parked on a flat surface, parking a standard transmission car in reverse or 1st gear will effectively hold it in place, but on a steep hill you MUST use the parking brake (there's a reason why it's called the parking brake!) Without doing so, the car CAN move down the hilll. In fact in some municipalities you will get a ticket if you park your manual transmission car and just leave it in gear without setting the parking brake. This is also why there are requirements to cut your wheels toward or away from the curb when parking on an hill, depending on whether you're pointing uphill or downhill.

Back to the Driving 101 manual!

Old 02-26-2024, 08:39 AM

10,876 posts, read 4,555,654 times
Quote:

the automagic makes the link between engine and wheels when its turning and churning up the juice in the tranny and its SOMEWHAT of a 2 way street.

shut off the engine such that some gizmo called a 'torque converter' aint spinning, and its like having a case full of neutrals

Old 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yes.
Funny how new automotive technology causes us to develop habits that are inappropriate for older models.
No. If you have a manual transmission and you need to put it in a higher gear to prevent roll back, it can roll backwards in first, I've seen it. But really, use your parking brake.

Old 02-26-2024, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, first of all, there is no "Drive" on a manual transmission.

Secondly, if you stop a manual transmission car in gear, what resists its movement is the compression of the engine. The car can roll, by rotation of the engine. This is how push-starting works - you put the car in third gear and push it, which makes the engine rotate and starts the car. If you're parked on a flat surface, parking a standard transmission car in reverse or 1st gear will effectively hold it in place, but on a steep hill you MUST use the parking brake (there's a reason why it's called the parking brake!) Without doing so, the car CAN move down the hilll. In fact in some municipalities you will get a ticket if you park your manual transmission car and just leave it in gear without setting the parking brake. This is also why there are requirements to cut your wheels toward or away from the curb when parking on an hill, depending on whether you're pointing uphill or downhill.

Back to the Driving 101 manual!
I understand that. My comment was about an automatic transmission. I call being in drive being “in gear” because it amounts to the same thing. The transmission is engaged.

Btw, I never used a driving manual to learn to drive stick. And they didn’t teach push starting in driver’s ed. So keep the snark.

Old 02-26-2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
No. If you have a manual transmission and you need to put it in a higher gear to prevent roll back, it can roll backwards in first, I've seen it. But really, use your parking brake.
To resist rolling for a manual transmission car parked with trans in gear, you use a LOWER gear, not a higher gear.

Old 02-26-2024, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I understand that. My comment was about an automatic transmission. I call being in drive being “in gear” because it amounts to the same thing. The transmission is engaged.

Btw, I never used a driving manual to learn to drive stick. And they didn’t teach push starting in driver’s ed. So keep the snark.
Well, I sure hope you don't park your standard trans. car above me on that steep hill relying only on the trans. being in gear, since you obviously reject the lessons of the last 120 years on how to park a standard transmission car properly and safely.

If you do, be sure to leave your license number, phone, and insurance agent for when the thing slips and runs into my car.

There is more on heaven and earth than they teach in driver's ed. It used to be a standard part of "American life, 101" to learn how to push-start a car. Daddy, or your Uncle Joe, or your older brother, taught you how to do it. Amazingly enough, there are things one can learn that are not taught in the one specific course.

Old 02-26-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, I sure hope you don't park your standard trans. car above me on that steep hill relying only on the trans. being in gear, since you obviously reject the lessons of the last 120 years on how to park a standard transmission car properly and safely.

If you do, be sure to leave your license number, phone, and insurance agent for when the thing slips and runs into my car.

There is more on heaven and earth than they teach in driver's ed. It used to be a standard part of "American life, 101" to learn how to push-start a car. Daddy, or your Uncle Joe, or your older brother, taught you how to do it. Amazingly enough, there are things one can learn that are not taught in the one specific course.
This has nothing to do with the OP. You’re really nitpicking here.

My question was will a car with an automatic transmission roll when it is in Drive, and is it normal for that to happen.

I know all about push starting a car. I’ve been driving a long time, Grasshopper. Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive