Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 06:38 AM

6,601 posts, read 7,214,686 times

Advertisements

I’ve always thought that drag racing should be time only, not reaction. You lose the race, but put up a better time and win/advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 06:41 AM

29,702 posts, read 14,801,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I’ve always thought that drag racing should be time only, not reaction. You lose the race, but put up a better time and win/advance.
The reaction time puts the human element in. One could have a great crew, and the best hardware money can buy, but with a poor driver, they can't win. Since most racing is pocket book racing, it sort of weeds out those that can't drive, or tune.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
The reaction time puts the human element in. One could have a great crew, and the best hardware money can buy, but with a poor driver, they can't win. Since most racing is pocket book racing, it sort of weeds out those that can't drive, or tune.
But you putting up a better time is human, driver. The huge emphasis on only the starting lights is too much, but then again what would happen if two racers ran the exact same times in my scenario. Make them run another pass which prolongs the process…so that’s not ideal. Just beating your competitor is what it really is all about with two random people lining up on the street a who wins, where my suggestion is more technical.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:16 AM

29,702 posts, read 14,801,681 times
Quote:
But you putting up a better time is human, driver. The huge emphasis on only the starting lights is too much, but then again what would happen if two racers ran the exact same times in my scenario. Make them run another pass which prolongs the process…so that’s not ideal. Just beating your competitor is what it really is all about with two random people lining up on the street a who wins, where my suggestion is more technical.
I suggest you strike up a conversation with that Promod driver you know, get his opinion on it.

Old 02-29-2024, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I suggest you strike up a conversation with that Promod driver you know, get his opinion on it.
I don’t know him, I just know a guy who travels with him.

Old 02-29-2024, 08:53 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,936,541 times
Quote:
But that's the point at everything below Top Fuel.
Assuming both cars are dialed in, a better driver in a 20s minivan will beat a worse driver in a 10s Hellcat. But then we have to get into the difference between a pro tree and a standard tree.

It's a driver competition, not a builder competition.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:40 AM

3,523 posts, read 783,695 times
Quote:
if you did that there would be no need for a car in the other lane and the race could end after qualifying ..

Old 02-29-2024, 10:36 AM

10,392 posts, read 6,963,408 times
Quote:

Putting this all into perspective:

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin-turbo powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch down a quarter-mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches & starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums & within 3 seconds the dragster catches & passes you.

He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it - from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH & not only cau ght, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1000 foot long race!
Here's a video of a turbo 'vette vs. a TF car. Notice the reaction of the Vette driver as the TF car passes. Then, notice the TF car KILLED the turbo engine on the Vette...jesus.

https://youtu.be/CLquxbZvWSk?si=rS4M8vfGnp9P56L8

I go to Pomona...

Old 02-29-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
But that's the point at everything below Top Fuel.
Assuming both cars are dialed in, a better driver in a 20s minivan will beat a worse driver in a 10s Hellcat. But then we have to get into the difference between a pro tree and a standard tree.

It's a driver competition, not a builder competition.
Sure, this makes sense and what I suggested doesn’t.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Here's a video of a turbo 'vette vs. a TF car. Notice the reaction of the Vette driver as the TF car passes. Then, notice the TF car KILLED the turbo engine on the Vette...jesus.

https://youtu.be/CLquxbZvWSk?si=rS4M8vfGnp9P56L8

I go to Pomona...
It caused the Vette to shut off! That was crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive