Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 06:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Who would want one? Never would want it with my traffic.
No stoplights or traffic in my county that's full of mtns and Twisties.
For trucks, creeper slow while towing very heavy ( bulldozer, logs, hay), and using compression brake

Bump starting and hill holding on frequent occasions. Stuff automatics can't do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2024, 06:51 AM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I wouldn't hold your breath.
Agreed, it's been multiple decades of decline in demand for manual-equipped vehicles - it's only a sliver of the customer base that want them, so manufacturers have phased out one after another - it doesn't make sense to build them if people won't buy them.

Old 03-03-2024, 06:56 AM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I've looked at several articles that list every single 2024 manual available for sale in the U.S., and the list is somewhat depressing in how limited it is. I wanted a simple, small, European sports car, and I can't find anything other than premium cars with stickers at least $75K, and probably with clutches too heavy for everyday city traffic (my current manual is a wicked little lowered Abarth 500 -- they look way cooler lowered -- and that little pocket rocket only has around a ten pound clutch because the car is so tiny). So, perhaps I'll keep driving her, as well as my auto Mercedes, until I can get just a regular BMW 2 series or something else with a sticker under $50K and that doesn't have a clutch too heavy for city driving, if that will be possible in the next few years due to a greater desire for manuals due to younger generation's interest. Hmmm...
You can still buy a Mazda Miata or a Subaru BRZ, which are very much in the mold of classic British and Italian sports cars, only they don't break down all the time ;-)

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/brz.html

https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/mx-5-miata
https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/mx-5-miata-rf

Old 03-03-2024, 07:52 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,309,123 times
Your best bet is a used car that was owned by a perfectionist enthusiast.

I owned one of the first Mazda RX-7s way back in 1979. I kept it the garage and mostly drove it on weekends and I wish I could have kept it but family responsibilities forced me to sell it.

They guy who bought it from me was astounded that it still smelled like new.

Luckily, I actually made money on that car. I sold it at 4 years old and got more than I had initially paid for it.

Old 03-03-2024, 12:48 PM

10,833 posts, read 4,513,691 times
heckfire, even with GM trucks there is no longer a manual option...not even the work truck

they aint coming back

Old 03-03-2024, 01:44 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
I've looked at several articles that list every single 2024 manual available for sale in the U.S., and the list is somewhat depressing in how limited it is. I wanted a simple, small, European sports car, and I can't find anything other than premium cars with stickers at least $75K, and probably with clutches too heavy for everyday city traffic (my current manual is a wicked little lowered Abarth 500 -- they look way cooler lowered -- and that little pocket rocket only has around a ten pound clutch because the car is so tiny). So, perhaps I'll keep driving her, as well as my auto Mercedes, until I can get just a regular BMW 2 series or something else with a sticker under $50K and that doesn't have a clutch too heavy for city driving, if that will be possible in the next few years due to a greater desire for manuals due to younger generation's interest. Hmmm...
Get a VW GTI with the manual, fun and practical car. You could also get a Mustang GT with a manual for $45K, not European but it's been upgraded in 2024 to a very fine machine.

Old 03-03-2024, 02:33 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
No stoplights or traffic in my county that's full of mtns and Twisties.
For trucks, creeper slow while towing very heavy ( bulldozer, logs, hay), and using compression brake

Bump starting and hill holding on frequent occasions. Stuff automatics can't do.
Engine braking is also possible with an automatic. Especially when manually downshifting.

Old 03-03-2024, 02:59 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,652,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Who would want one? Never would want it with my traffic.
I want one. Hello, nice to meet you.

Old 03-03-2024, 03:03 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
OP....get a 2024 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback and you'll get the performance, reliability and a vehicle that retains its value longer. https://automobiles.honda.com/civic-si-sedan/

Old 03-03-2024, 03:03 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
I want one. Hello, nice to meet you.
Well you can have it. I never drove one and like my modded C7 Vette with a Auto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive