Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 08:16 AM

4,333 posts, read 7,245,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
EMAIL is your friend!

Find what you want and email the dealer about the price. I've bought 30+ cars this way. The last two were over $350,000 combined. I've had them delivered to my house without ever visiting the dealership.
30+ cars? Good grief!

I got my driver's license over 50 years ago. I've only bought 8 vehicles over that period of time, and many of those years were before email and the internet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 08:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,608 posts, read 81,297,702 times
For me it's not so much seeing in person as driving it. Before spending on a new vehicle I have to be sure it's comfortable, has good visibility, enough power, and handles well. Sitting on a lot for over a year is a red flag for me, in that time chances are that many people test drove it and passed on it. There had to be a reason.

Old 03-11-2024, 02:57 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,546,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
For me it's not so much seeing in person as driving it. Before spending on a new vehicle I have to be sure it's comfortable, has good visibility, enough power, and handles well. Sitting on a lot for over a year is a red flag for me, in that time chances are that many people test drove it and passed on it. There had to be a reason.
But you can do that evaluation at Carmax or a dealer local to you to determine all those characteristics. Buying a new vehicle from a remote dealer is much less of a crapshoot than a used one, because as it hasn't been put in service yet, it is just a commodity. The last 10 new cars I have bought/leased were all bought sight unseen - I was negotiating remotely, then going into the dealer to pick the car up (or have it delivered). Prior to making those decisions, I went to my local Carmax to sit in the vehicle (and its competitors) to narrow down what was acceptable.

Old 03-11-2024, 04:53 PM

17,354 posts, read 22,099,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
30+ cars? Good grief!

I got my driver's license over 50 years ago. I've only bought 8 vehicles over that period of time, and many of those years were before email and the internet!
No 30+ was just buying via email.

I've likely had 55+ cars/trucks and I'd bet 48-50 of those were brand new.

Old 03-11-2024, 04:55 PM

17,354 posts, read 22,099,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
New, I am not buying unless I see it in person.
Funny my last 2 were crazy expensive, I saw neither in person before I bought them. One I picked up at the factory, I saw pictures in emails but didn't actually see the car until I got to the factory 12 hours away (flight + train)

Old 03-11-2024, 05:08 PM

11,552 posts, read 6,041,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeckish View Post
Any concerns over buying a NEW 2023 car that's been sitting on the dealer's lot (or multiple dealers lots) for 200, 300 or nearly 400 days? The last time I bought a new car was 2006 and nowadays the "nationwide" internet searching is an efficient tool. But when I see AGING new cars in Florida, I wonder if they were exposed to hurricanes, or in Nevada, I wonder if they are sun-bleached by now...

I have very little capacity to travel more than 100 miles to see these cars in person, but does anyone have experience/opinions on buying a car sight unseen from an out-of-state retail dealer?... and what about these cars that have been sitting available for about a year?

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car that was sitting 300-400 days. I bought a sports car that sat that long for a large discount and it ran like a top.

I would never buy a car built during the supply chain crisis caused by the incessant Covid shut-downs around the world, especially with the massive chip shortage. Absolutely no way. I would not buy a car built in 2020-2022. Probably not 2023 either.

I could never be able to trust the quality control on a car built during those years. I am sure the vast majority are fine but I am not a big fan of playing Russian Roulette.

PANDEMIC CAR SHORTAGE INCREASES RISK OF BUYING A LEMON

https://www.toddflaw.com/blog/pandem...uying-a-lemon/

Old 03-11-2024, 05:11 PM

96 posts, read 77,140 times
Thank you all-- Yes, I've shopped at my local dealer, but they don't have the combination of color & optional equipment I'd prefer. They offered to "locate & trade" and I told them to please do that, but 10 days later, I've not heard back other than a text to ask if I was interested in anything on their lot. I have driven & evaluated the model car in general, but yes-- I agree with the notion that a car 300 days old may be a red flag... And a lot of cars in Florida have deep discounts, but I'm not sure if they were exposed to the last couple of hurricanes, so I'm likely out on those.

Agreed- if it were a used car that I had to have from an unknown out-of-state source-- I'd pay a regional evaluator or pass altogether.

My current interest would be for the "new" car. With the unveiling of the 2025 Daytona, I wonder if the 2023 Challengers will be a tougher sell, hence the steep discounts. Again, I've seen wild price differences for the same color/equipment combination... but the lowest price cars are the ones that have the most "age" on them.... but we're only talking about an extra 100-150 days difference. One claimed 376 days on the lot old, so presumably a Feb 2023 build.

Old 03-11-2024, 05:15 PM

11,552 posts, read 6,041,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
EMAIL is your friend!

Find what you want and email the dealer about the price. I've bought 30+ cars this way. The last two were over $350,000 combined. I've had them delivered to my house without ever visiting the dealership.

You are a car nut after my own heart. I only wish I had had the money to buy a new car every year my whole life.

In 50 years of driving,I have only owned 9 cars, 4 new and 5 used. It is just the money of it.

As a car nut, I would have killed to have the money to drive a bunch of different fun cars every year or two.

Where is the "green with envy and I'm a not even trying to hide it" smilie?

I have alwasys wished I could own two cars at a time, but it is always been just too darn expensive to do continually. I am not even looking forward to the soaring insurance payment when I eventually add an SUV for the dog. Boy, money is freedom!

Old 03-12-2024, 09:26 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,546,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeckish View Post
Thank you all-- Yes, I've shopped at my local dealer, but they don't have the combination of color & optional equipment I'd prefer. They offered to "locate & trade" and I told them to please do that, but 10 days later, I've not heard back other than a text to ask if I was interested in anything on their lot. I have driven & evaluated the model car in general, but yes-- I agree with the notion that a car 300 days old may be a red flag... And a lot of cars in Florida have deep discounts, but I'm not sure if they were exposed to the last couple of hurricanes, so I'm likely out on those.

Agreed- if it were a used car that I had to have from an unknown out-of-state source-- I'd pay a regional evaluator or pass altogether.

My current interest would be for the "new" car. With the unveiling of the 2025 Daytona, I wonder if the 2023 Challengers will be a tougher sell, hence the steep discounts. Again, I've seen wild price differences for the same color/equipment combination... but the lowest price cars are the ones that have the most "age" on them.... but we're only talking about an extra 100-150 days difference. One claimed 376 days on the lot old, so presumably a Feb 2023 build.
As for days on lot, there are a few dealership groups that havent pivoted as quickly from the "we can charge over MSRP on all our vehicles" mantra of 2021-22 and are holding vehicles for a long time. You are now seeing some of those discounted to move the metal as floorplan costs come due (at higher interest rates). Re: Florida, there are a couple of high volume dealers (or groups who want to become high volume) who will discount the price of the vehicle tremendously, but also charge a $1498 doc fee (where other parts of the country are $75, 500 or 799 doc fee) to make up for some of the discount.

Old 03-13-2024, 01:24 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,766,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive