Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 10:28 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,415,635 times

Advertisements

No kids anymore but a minivan suits our lifestyle. Currently have a 2017 Kia Sedona but looking at 2024 options.

Chrysler product may be off the list as my car expert brother says “Chrysler makes beautiful cars but you need a magnet on the back to pick up the parts when the fall off”

Honda Van

Toyota Sienna

Kia Carnival

New VW van

Mostly carting stuff to the summer house and golf clubs for traveling foursomes.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2024, 11:42 AM

861 posts, read 865,230 times
Based on your statement about a second home and playing golf, you will likely end up deciding between the Honda and Toyota vans. They are far and away the best mini-vans on the market. This is reflected in their price and they can be difficult to find so be aware that you may need to wait and order one through your dealer. On the plus side both are extremely reliable and comfortable and hold their value well so you will get most of your money back if you sell in a few years.

A few years back I did a thorough investigation of every model on your list and test drove them. It quickly became apparent what the hierarchy of products was and their targeted market.

Chrysler--felt very poorly built and cheap. Salesperson kept emphasizing the HP and torque while we couldn't get past the build quality which was obvious even on a brand new vehicle.

Kia-nice vehicle for the price but aimed at the budget side of the market which wasn't what we wanted.

Volkswagen-did not drive or look at. What I recall is it was based on the Chrysler product at the time and we had already ruled that one out and we didn't like VW's reputation for unreliability.

Old 03-10-2024, 11:53 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Mazda CX-50.

Kia/Hyundai products are better than Ford/GM/Stellantis.

Old 03-10-2024, 11:54 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
VW is only doing the electric ID Buzz. They've gone back and forth on possibly bringing the Transporter back for years but it's been 20 years since it was last sold and no indication that it's coming back. Range and price, ~60k/250 miles of range as a guess. Nothing final.

I wouldn't throw out the Chrysler since you don't keep vehicles for very long. Mostly the plug-in hybrid is a consideration since after the 10-12k discounts it's the same price as the gas one. You do lose stow and go.

Kia best value for the money. If you don't like the hybrid, I'd lean towards the Kia. It might not hold up in the long run but since you don't keep cars very long it's more about resale being lower than Toyota/Honda.

Toyota is all hybrid. It's a significant improvement in fuel economy and Toyota hybrids are better. Most people would rather drive the V6 though. That would be my first choice due to the fuel economy difference.

Honda probably my third choice since you dont hold cars that long and the Kia is better value.

Old 03-10-2024, 01:43 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Toyota Sienna AWD, hybrid or not. Can't beat the quality and AWD. Never know, when that comes handy, even if just in a heavy rain.
If you live to feed dealerships, disregard next statement but, if you work on your cars, Mazda does not license parts to aftermarket, so it's dealer only and at dealer premium. We had a Mazda for about a year, never again. Nice cars but f that.

Old 03-10-2024, 09:06 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Toyota Sienna AWD, hybrid or not. Can't beat the quality and AWD. Never know, when that comes handy, even if just in a heavy rain.
If you live to feed dealerships, disregard next statement but, if you work on your cars, Mazda does not license parts to aftermarket, so it's dealer only and at dealer premium. We had a Mazda for about a year, never again. Nice cars but f that.
The largest dealership in Fairbanks, Alaska uses the Sienna AWD to shuttle customers around fairbanks and nearby communities. Sienna's are very reliable and offer great traction on the icy roads. But they tend to be more expensive than other mini-vans.

Old 03-11-2024, 05:32 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The largest dealership in Fairbanks, Alaska uses the Sienna AWD to shuttle customers around fairbanks and nearby communities. Sienna's are very reliable and offer great traction on the icy roads. But they tend to be more expensive than other mini-vans.
I am not fond of the fact that the 4 cylinder engine is now the only power plant choice. It is disappointing that Toyota has eliminated a V6 from so many of its models including the Sienna, Highlander, Tacoma, as well as many of its Lexus models. It is a nonstarter for me.

On lighter vehicles like the RAV4, Corollas, and Priuses the 4 cylinder engine is fine but I don't like having it forced upon me in a larger, heavier, and much more expensive vehicle. Turbo charging it isn't the solution since I don't like an engine running up to 4,000 to 5,000 rpms in normal driving.

Old 03-11-2024, 02:09 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Chrysler absolutely makes great minivans. I wouldn't buy literally any other car from them but they are leaders in the minivan segment.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:55 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I am not fond of the fact that the 4 cylinder engine is now the only power plant choice. It is disappointing that Toyota has eliminated a V6 from so many of its models including the Sienna, Highlander, Tacoma, as well as many of its Lexus models. It is a nonstarter for me.

On lighter vehicles like the RAV4, Corollas, and Priuses the 4 cylinder engine is fine but I don't like having it forced upon me in a larger, heavier, and much more expensive vehicle. Turbo charging it isn't the solution since I don't like an engine running up to 4,000 to 5,000 rpms in normal driving.
I do agree with you about having a 4-cylinder engine in it. The Toyota V6, like the one in my wife's 2020 RAV4 produces around 270HP. That's one of my favorite Toyota engines, and very reliable. This V6 couple to the 5-speed transmission- as far as I remember-keep the RPM under 2,000 at about 70 MPH. The 2013 Tundra 7.5L engine & transmission keep the RPM on 1,500 at 60 MPH. It does burn a lot of fuel, but I love this truck.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:19 AM

861 posts, read 865,230 times
All you really need to do is test drive all 4 and you should be able to make a decision. They really are all totally different vehicles and a short test drive will demonstrate that to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive