Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2024, 10:55 AM

5,959 posts, read 3,706,857 times

Advertisements

I have a 2016 GMC Terrain that I like except for one thing. The backup camera works only intermittently. Some days it may work fine. At other times, it may not work at all for a week or two. Then, suddenly, for no apparent reason, it starts working again. I would like it to work ALL THE TIME.

Any suggestions on how to find the source of the problem? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2024, 03:37 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Turn
your
head
backwards!

Old 03-10-2024, 07:11 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
You have bad wiring. Bad contact. You need to remove the rear panel and start there. Broken insulation, loose contact. Water likely got into the plug or, even camera itself.
If you don't want to go through all this DIY, there's plethora of inexpensive WIFI well working RV cameras, with minor installation skill requirements. I know, I have one on niece's car.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:24 AM

10,815 posts, read 4,506,581 times
determine how it is triggered...generally signal to the backup lamps. My uncle put a newer backup capable head unit in his '13 sierra WT before he died and I finished the job with a camera that took a high impedance lookie loo and the rear b/u lamps and sent it forward in the 4 conductor cable.....

The schematic for the factory setup SHOULD be online.

Old 03-12-2024, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
determine how it is triggered...generally signal to the backup lamps. My uncle put a newer backup capable head unit in his '13 sierra WT before he died and I finished the job with a camera that took a high impedance lookie loo and the rear b/u lamps and sent it forward in the 4 conductor cable.....

The schematic for the factory setup SHOULD be online.
On my car, and presumably ALL cars, the backup camera is triggered by moving the gearshift lever into the Reverse position with the motor running and your foot on the brake pedal. Perhaps by shifting the lever from Park to Drive and then back to the Reverse position, that MIGHT make a difference. Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:00 AM

10,815 posts, read 4,506,581 times
There actually is a GMC terrain forum out there...(that used to be a thing that I thot went by the wayside) anyways the BCM (body control module) sends the signal to the head unit to turn on the camera.

If you have a FOB that unlocks the vehicle (I do not, my 13 is a W/T) then it also turns on the reverse lamps...which they also do at engine off to light your path. people report that tapping the reverse lamps cause this to no longer happen with the BCM

If the head unit has this feature, discover the wire that does it, on the thread in the terrain forum someone showed a picture of the connector into the head unit.

GENERALLY the wire goes hot for camera on, but most aftermarket head units allow you to set the polarity of the signal - I guess some go to ground.

Also, with RAP, since I do not use the BCM, the lighting of the reverse lamps on EOKO also displays the rear of the truck until I open the door and cancel RAP. I guess this is good in case a Boogens or something is hanging out in the shadows behind me.

Old 03-13-2024, 01:32 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
There actually is a GMC terrain forum out there...
That was my first thought as well. There are also GMC Terrain Facebook groups as well. Car Forums are still somewhat a thing. I moderate a Foxbody forum with some good numbers and active participation.

https://www.terrainforum.net/

-----------------------

OP,

First thing I would do is browse and see if this is a common failure. Most people on that forum own the particular vehicle you are interested in and therefore your chances of finding folks with the same issue goes way up. Then you can get accurate pinpoint data vs stab in the dark type information. Yes, you might get a few experienced folks here who respond and are helpful, but your numbers go up when you search a forum/group comprised of all owners of similar make/model.

I've had to replace my camera on my Ford when it went out, but after some research I discovered this was a common issue and water would get into the camera over time and cause it to short out. Replaced the camera, had to reinitialize it using software I had and got it working again.

However, that experience may not translate to your vehicle. It might be something like a wiring harness that is notorious for corroding and causing a loose connection. Each vehicle is going to have its own unique quirk which is why targeted forums and FB groups are a much better option.

Old 03-13-2024, 02:27 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You have bad wiring. Bad contact. You need to remove the rear panel and start there. Broken insulation, loose contact. Water likely got into the plug or, even camera itself.
If you don't want to go through all this DIY, there's plethora of inexpensive WIFI well working RV cameras, with minor installation skill requirements. I know, I have one on niece's car.

I agree, with one clarification. Look for the area where the wiring goes from the body to the tailgate. That's, IMO, the most likely point of a wire breaking because that would probably be the flex point.

Old 03-13-2024, 02:32 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Easy solution:
1) Drive the Terrain to your local Honda or Toyota dealer
2) Trade it in on an Odyssey, Sienna, or, if you prefer nondescript jelly-beans, an SUV.
3) When purchasing vehicles in the future, avoid anything that says GMC or Chevrolet on the back.

Old 03-14-2024, 08:12 PM

UPDATE:

Day before yesterday I had a brilliant idea. I told my wife that when backing out of the garage or a parking space to first put the gear shifter into Drive. Then shift into Reverse and back up. She did as instructed and VOILA, the camera worked.

It has continued to work on the several occasions that she has driven the car since then. If it quits working again, I have suggested that she do the same thing.

My theory was/is that some sensor in the shifter mechanism may not sense the SHIFT from Park to Reverse when the car is first started up, but it likely would sense the shift to Reverse if she first put the shifter in Drive and then shifted it to Reverse. So far, so good.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive