Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 04:46 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

We’ve tried a variety of cabin air filters. We like the factory original we got from the dealer but don’t like the price. We tried a high filtration filter from Fram for a lower price than the filter offered by the dealer but it restricted the air flow. We want OEM level of filtration and air flow but for a lower price. I’ve seen some websites that have canine air filters for under $10 but we’re not sure we should trust them.

Are there any brands of filters you would recommend and those you would avoid that are available at stores like Walmart, Auto Zone, Advance Auto, O’Riely, and other auto parts stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM

I looked at NAPA’s website and I liked what I saw. There is a NAPA store in my area but our filters aren’t in stock so we may order through NAPA.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:03 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I've used the EP Auto ones from Amazon. I drive dirt roads with my job so I'm constantly changing them. Occasionally I'll blow them out with my air compressor and reuse them.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:03 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
You can usually find the OEM filters sold by discount online retailers.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
You can usually find the OEM filters sold by discount online retailers.
I saw Rock Auto had some listed as OEM for under $10. NAPA has one available for slightly more, closer to $10 per filter. My concern is I’ve read some reviews of some off brands that they don’t always fit the compartment properly due to poor quality control. Considering vehicles for decades never had a cabin air filter, even a micro screen permanent washable filter would be better than nothing. I have access to metal filter screen material and thought about making one as a permanent washable filter. Doubt I would do this but it wouldn’t be hard.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:23 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I saw Rock Auto had some listed as OEM for under $10. NAPA has one available for slightly more, closer to $10 per filter. My concern is I’ve read some reviews of some off brands that they don’t always fit the compartment properly due to poor quality control. Considering vehicles for decades never had a cabin air filter, even a micro screen permanent washable filter would be better than nothing. I have access to metal filter screen material and thought about making one as a permanent washable filter. Doubt I would do this but it wouldn’t be hard.
It really just needs to filter good enough to keep your evaporator from getting clogged with dust, hair, and lint.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It really just needs to filter good enough to keep your evaporator from getting clogged with dust, hair, and lint.
Saw some filter that claim to be HEPA or N95 level filtering. No way would I consider these. There were some that claim to have some charcoal for helping to reduce odors. If I lived near certain factories I would consider this. Use to drive past a canning factory that stunk up the car until well past. If I drove past such places regularly I would consider such a filter. Only thing we deal with is an occasional skunk smell. Doesn’t linger long enough to warrant such a filter.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:51 AM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
I buy that stuff on Amazon, same for engine filter, same for replacing a cracked driver's side rear view mirror. Someone broke into my auto over a year ago and tried to hot wire it. They damaged the right hand side wiper mechanism and the housing was torn open. Auto shop quoted me $500 to fix. I looked into it myself and determined all I had to do was replace that mechanism. Got a used one on Ebay for $10 from a junkyard, it plugged right in. Sealed the housing with gorilla glue.

Old 03-26-2024, 11:27 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
It comes down to understanding what OEM means. Typically, parts are noted as:

original equipment - made by the company as original equipment
OEM - makes parts for the automaker but not this specific part
LKQ - like kind quality.

If I can, I buy the OE or OEM products for my vehicles via Amazon by limiting myself to the brands that I know are in that business:

Bosch
Mann
Mahle
Denso
Motorcraft.

Old 03-26-2024, 01:17 PM

17,299 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
It comes down to understanding what OEM means. Typically, parts are noted as:

original equipment - made by the company as original equipment
OEM - makes parts for the automaker but not this specific part
LKQ - like kind quality.

If I can, I buy the OE or OEM products for my vehicles via Amazon by limiting myself to the brands that I know are in that business:

Bosch
Mann
Mahle
Denso
Motorcraft.
Gotta be careful on amazon/ebay though. A lot of binned or just counterfeit parts masquerading as oem.

Amazon Auto Parts Scam You Need to Know About
Avoiding counterfeit parts -- Best strategies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive