Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:42 PM

46,272 posts, read 27,088,282 times

Advertisements

Well, to be honest, I'm a little embarrassed about what I wrote...we'll chalk that up to "Don't drink and post" syndrome.

I have about 4 classes left until I receive my BS in Technical Management, through DeVry university. I owe nothing, they are a private school so my limit on CH33 is $17,500 a year, however they are a "Yellow Ribbon" school and if I go above that limit, DeVry will pay for it, and at about $3000 a semester....I'm sure I'll use it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 11:30 AM

16 posts, read 42,785 times
"Don't drink and post"
I've definitely done that before, but at a much larger scale .

I'm still dragging feet at earning my BS in Professional Aeronautics, but will knock out all the required classes once I get settled at my new duty station in Ft. Riley. I also hope to sneak some "hands on" time when I get there since all my rank requires is mostly supervising, training, and taking care of Soldier issues. My ultimate goal is to be well rounded in the Aviation field, obtain supporting certificates to prove my knowledge, and have a strong civilian education background to be marketable in today’s tough economy.
I might still have 7 years left of military service but if there is anything that recent times have taught us; it's that there is no such thing as a sure thing.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:10 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,648,464 times
Didn't read much, by my advice from what I have seen from people leaving the military.

Heavy birds, try for c17s, 135s, and other large multi engine programs. Better I'd you can get on the new 767 tanker or p8.

Also my experience from a lot of military guys in the airforce they get kind of pigeon holed into one area.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-12-2012, 03:18 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Decided to fire up this thread again for this.
I know the cut-off age for enlistments or an officers commission is around the mid-to-late 30s for the army, air force, and navy.
But is there an earlier cut-off age for someone that wants to enlist and then get into the warrant officer program for helicopters?
I'm running into much dissuasion when it comes to paying my own way for a helicopter flight certification and the warrant officer route seems to be the only route that doesn't get down-talked as much.

I just want to make sure after dropping the weight(again) and studying up for the tests that my efforts to get in don't have me doing something I'd rather not if I actually got in this time around.

I'm 29 by the way.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 11,384 times
Hello Bentsrider,

I was doing some research and came across this thread. Hopefully I can provide you with an answer.

I have been a crew chief on UH60's for 4 years now. I have 350 flight hours(and about tripple that in maintenance time ). I have been setting up my warrant packet for quite some time now. Here is my 2 cents.

I have seen all sides of the picture. I, being enlisted, get worked like a slave. I am thankful if I work a 12 hour day. Most of the time it's 14-15. By regulation we are only allowed 12 hours but you will see the Army loves to bend the regulations when it benefits them. I fly with both warrants and commissioned officers. The commissioned guys struggle to get flight time. They have too many additional duties to get the seat time that a warrant does. Warrant officers basically just fly! That's why I am going to the program. Warrants are in that gray zone where they are neither enlisted or commissioned so not too many people "mess" with them. A typical day in a WO's life in our unit is..... show up around 10, sit in the pilot lounge and watch espn, plan and file the flight paperwork, go fly, hand everything to the crew chief and go home.

The cutoff age for warrant application is 33 years old, so you are fine. They do have a program called "street to seat" where you can basically go from civilian to army pilot(i wish my recruiter had told me about that!!!!). You will definitely need a college degree to go that route tho. Be sure to study for your AFAST like crazy. The flight test will be changing soon so make sure to take the AFAST, I hear the new test is MUCH harder. I studied for maybe a week and managed to get a 140. Anything over a 120 is definitely worth submitting. You can only take the test one time so STUDY!!!!!

IMHO, warrant is the way to go so definitely pursue that. Do not let the recruiter tell you that you should go enlisted first and then submit a warrant packet. You could end up like some people in my unit that were told this and got disqualified for flight status. So now they just have to turn wrenches for the next 6 years with no hope for flying. That reminds me, if you have anything in your medical history that is sketchy but not on record, do not tell them during your flight physical! I almost got disqualified for telling them about a cut on my leg that I had stitched up 7 years ago but had no medical record of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Decided to fire up this thread again for this.
I know the cut-off age for enlistments or an officers commission is around the mid-to-late 30s for the army, air force, and navy.
But is there an earlier cut-off age for someone that wants to enlist and then get into the warrant officer program for helicopters?
I'm running into much dissuasion when it comes to paying my own way for a helicopter flight certification and the warrant officer route seems to be the only route that doesn't get down-talked as much.

I just want to make sure after dropping the weight(again) and studying up for the tests that my efforts to get in don't have me doing something I'd rather not if I actually got in this time around.

I'm 29 by the way.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:10 PM

4 posts, read 11,384 times
tr00th,

I realize this thread is nearly a year old, but I will reply in hopes that it helps you or someone else looking to joing. So, here it goes...

I haven't read any other posts in this thread so if I am repeating what's been said, I apologize.

I have been a 15T1F for 4 years(aka UH60 repairer/Crew chief). Just an explanation of my career and what you would expect... Started off in a maintenace unit where we did "phases" on 60's. We basically tore the beasts down to the bare frame and then built them back up trying to achieve that "like new" feeling again lol. I did this for 2 years, then I had an opportunity to go to a flight company. Now I am a crew chief so I get to sit in the back during flight operations and make sure the pilot's dont break my bird. Besides flying, we take care of all the inspections(there are tons!) and unscheduled maintenance(oops the pilot ran the backup pump too long and burnt the motor up, you guys arent leaving til it's fixed!!!) I must say, being a crew chief is way harder but also is a LOT more rewarding.

The 15T MOS is the closest you will get to being an "all-around" aircraft mechanic. I do everything from pulling engines to replacing main transmissions. If I can't get an avionics guy to get off his butt to chase a wire, I will also do that myself. Definitely what you want if you are looking to add experience to your A&P.

So now to answer your question about will the A&P help you get into the Army. The short answer is no. I do not know of a single person that I have worked with that had an A&P upon entering the 15T MOS. In all honesty, people usually do it in the reverse order. Join with this MOS, get their A&P while in the service, and then go to the civilian side. So, my advice to you, find a contracting corporation that does work on the Army's helicopters and try to get a job with them. You will do the same stuff I do but get paid 6 figures a year. Check out a company called Dyna Corp Intl. If you are still looking into the Army, go to your recruiter and say you won't sign up unless you have the 15T MOS. Best MOS in the army, hands down. I have gotten to fly all over the world in a blackhawk(ie. germany, england, poland, italy, montenegro, afghanistan, kosovo......) and it's all because I said I am not signing the dotted line unless you give me this MOS.

Best of luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr00th View Post
I am 24 and I just got out of A&P school with my licenses. I never considered joining the Army but I must say, it’s started looking good when I researched it. I'm look at the Army as a place to start my career.

Two questions, number one. Am I too old to even join? I'm 24 going on 25 this year. I know the average age of enlistment is around 18 to 23. Will they even look at me if I talk to a recuiter?

Number two, I do have my A&P...does that even matter? Will I gain anything extra from having it, or is it worthless?

If I sign up for it, is this something that gets locked in for me because I have an A&P, or can they push me out for someone else like infantry or cook? I don't want to get stuck with something I don't like.

Aviation is my passion, I want to fix helicopters. I was looking at doing OH-58, UH-60 or CH-47 as a job if I joined. Does anyone here have any info about each of these and the pro’s and con’s of them.

I’ve done alot of research, but seem to be lost when it comes to finding out if my training in the civilian world will help me in the military world.

Thanks for helping a newbie, hopefully the info I get will help me pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation