Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2023, 08:19 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,873,638 times

Advertisements

This is not new. Just another random "discovery" by a person with wifi and a deadline to meet. I've seen this, literally, for decades.

Meantime - you think it's bad here - go to some non-USA place. I've seen 40 wheelchairs lined up. And - unlike here - instead of allowing 1 family member to go - they can ALL go - so more than 100 people get on the plane before first class boards - hilarious. Some are faking - some not - I've certainly seen a few "miracles" in the air - they can all walk to the bathroom after a few cocktails.

Still though, like many things - it's more important that the folks that need it - get it - than that the ones that don't are punished somehow. It's just not that bigga deal. They got on before you. So what. YES overhead space is an issue. Want guaranteed space? No such thing. Even in first class - I have been on teeny tiny planes with little or no overhead that will not accommodate my bag. ,

But pre-boarding is helpful (for real) because folks with a window seat can get it NOW instead of clearing out the row. Also, whoever suggested "board from the back" - the wheelchair folks are all over the plane - not in the front (maybe). They get on first - but they sit anywhere. Maybe in the back.

I've been flying a long time - and this "carry on" space thing is nonsense. Not that they don't run out - they do - but that you don't know it ahead of time. You do. If you made the decision to buy the cheapest seat - then just assume right now there is no room for your carryon. Small bags will absolutely fit under the seat in front of you. Others - just check them. Yes, it sucks ,there's a wait, it ain't free -such is the consequence of traveling on a tight budget. Been there many times. But I never once said, "Huh, that's a complete surprise and a total injustice!"

In fact - if you cannot afford to check your bag - take it to the gate. When they offer to check it - say YEP - cuz it's free then. Helpful hint for ya, don't spread it around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2023, 04:19 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What's not fair? They would still be getting wheelchair service.
You get select a seat and they don’t. That’s not fair.

Old 07-01-2023, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Set the policy such that if you need wheelchair assistance to board then you need it to deboard. Record the names of those using it to get on and record the names of those using it to get off. The passengers playing it one way get banned.
That’s too much work for the airline. However, I like that you’re trying to find a solution. Keep trying. I will too.

Old 07-01-2023, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
This^^

On regular carriers, where seats are assigned in advance, what is the benefit of pre-boarding?
It helps them to board most passengers quicker. It’s also less embarrassing for the wheelchair pax. I was the last one boarded in Frankfurt and a 747 full of people watching them struggle to get me to my seat and help me transfer. It’s nice that they left you board early to get out of everyone’s way and still keep a little dignity. That’s for those who need it. For those who don’t, it’s to get their stuff in the preferred overhead compartment t, and maybe something else that I missed.

Old 07-01-2023, 06:59 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Quote:
Are they required by law to provide any wheelchair service at all? Designate the last few rows of the plane as wheelchair seating and I bet that crap will end right quick.
There’s a large federal law called the Air Carrier Access Act that is very comprehensive in what services airlines must provide and it often goes beyond the ADA in terms of requirements. Up until the airlines pushed back in 2018-2019 because they were paying out on a high number of in-flight pit bull maulings, the ACAA was extremely broad in terms of what kinds of animals could be designated as emotional support animals for the purpose of air travel and the airlines were told they had to let anyone and their emotional support turkey/porcupine/skunk/crocodile board a flight.

The pre-boarding problem has been around for a long time. There are some NYC-Florida routes that have been known as ‘miracle flights’ for a decade or more because the magic of plane travel seems to cure whatever the ailment was that made the passengers who hobble out of a wheelchairs at the start of a flight and allow them to run right past you on the jet bridge as they get off the plane.

Old 07-01-2023, 07:23 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,008,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There’s a large federal law called the Air Carrier Access Act that is very comprehensive in what services airlines must provide and it often goes beyond the ADA in terms of requirements. Up until the airlines pushed back in 2018-2019 because they were paying out on a high number of in-flight pit bull maulings, the ACAA was extremely broad in terms of what kinds of animals could be designated as emotional support animals for the purpose of air travel and the airlines were told they had to let anyone and their emotional support turkey/porcupine/skunk/crocodile board a flight.

The pre-boarding problem has been around for a long time. There are some NYC-Florida routes that have been known as ‘miracle flights’ for a decade or more because the magic of plane travel seems to cure whatever the ailment was that made the passengers who hobble out of a wheelchairs at the start of a flight and allow them to run right past you on the jet bridge as they get off the plane.
What Act or FAR forbids airlines from verifying disability status? Someone mentioned earlier that such a law exist. I find that hard to believe, and that such a law would be specific to the airline or public transportation industry.

I'm aware of the privacy laws that affect disclosure of medical records, but determining or not whether an individual is disabled is verifiable.

We would have a nation full of fraudsters taking advantage of The ADA, if there wasn't some sort of verification.

I tend to think the airlines have other things to worry about, and just don't care about the wheelchair issue, rather than some existing law that forbids them from verifying disability status.

Old 07-01-2023, 08:31 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
I have been seeing more and more of this lately and it is a bit annoying not only for the rest of you, but, for those of us who legitimately require wheelchair assistance. I think there should be some verification requirement as it has gotten out of hand. I've seen people in the wait areas, get up from their seat during the wait and walk faster than Bolt toward food and drink services then rush back to their chair and dare anyone to look at them twice. It's almost as annoying the people who practically jump out of their seats before flight comes to a full stop at the gate.

Mostly, I book my seat in advance, so, it wouldn't be a big deal if they were to board me later though I do appreciate the early boarding on the rare occasion when I have flown SW. I have an ADA certification letter and letters from my doctors to verify my need for wheelchair assistance. I think it should be required just like some similar form of ID it usually is for getting ticket discounts on the airlines and other modes of transportation. It wasn't a big deal in the past, but, the line of wheelchairs at the boarding gates are getting out of hand.

And people who need assistance do have to wait till the arrival of the wheelchairs and that is most often after all others have deplaned and by that point, there are way less people needing a chair to get to where they are going.

BTW, some may have been seeing these lines of wheelchairs for years, but for the past years I have been flying, I have only seen this just since late last year and I fly in and out of the country several times a year.

Old 07-01-2023, 09:51 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,855,741 times
This morning both in Tulsa and in Phoenix on SWA, I really noticed this occurring. I could not understand how these large group of preboards were walking into the jetway . Maybe one that was actually in a wheel chair. Some were a group of kids that were big enough to wait like the rest of us. My wife has MS and the preboard has been very helpful as she can not walk and needs special help. I would not be opposed to having to have some sort of verification . The policy of families boarding after the A group has been standard and I appreciated it as most of them could handle getting kids in place. I think it is getting out of hand just like the support animal situation.

Old 07-01-2023, 10:13 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
We would have a nation full of fraudsters taking advantage of The ADA, if there wasn't some sort of verification.
There needs to be a motivation to commit fraud and as far as I know, the ADA isn’t really set up to incentivize fraud because there isn’t much in it that would generate benefits to the end user.

Old 07-01-2023, 11:52 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
... I think it is getting out of hand just like the support animal situation.
The support animal fraud seems to be waning, thanks to a tightening up of the rules.
All airlines, especially SW, need to quit ignoring the pre board scams, sooner than later.
Companies seem to be hesitant about directing their employees to confront unruly customers these days.
At least at the gates you don’t have to worry about getting shot by these miscreants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation