Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 01:06 PM

267 posts, read 303,674 times

Advertisements

What are largest and smallest airports people have visited? Largest - Dubai by far. Smallest - Puerto Villamil - Isabela Island, Galapagos, Ecuador. It's a landing strip with a small building - no a/c nor shops nor drinking fountains. Primarily for Cessnas traveling to the other Galapagos islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2023, 02:39 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
The realistic answer would be private airstrips on private property?

Old 12-10-2023, 03:49 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
The realistic answer would be private airstrips on private property?
Or a charted, unnamed, minimally improved airstrip on public land...though this probably doesn't meet the definition of "airport". Glacial esker with divots filled in, beach or river sand bar some determined soul dragged the worst of the boulders off of. Nothing as sophisticated as a windsock. There must be hundreds all over AK.

Gotta ask OP, when you say "visited", does that mean by aircraft only? I ask because a friend and I got very lost in pitch black, frigid, winter Wyoming driving back from a university trip. We finally pulled off the highway about 1 am and found a nice flat spot with almost no thorny vegetation so we could spread out our tarp and sleeping bags. I remember lying there in that "lazy" wind, shivering until I couldn't stand my chattering teeth any longer and finally got up to get the circulation going again. Once it was light enough to see, I noticed an oddly shaped fluttering thing a few yards away. It was a windsock. We were parked smack dab in the middle of some rancher's airstrip. Does that count as a visit?

Old 12-10-2023, 03:59 PM

267 posts, read 303,674 times
I am referring to commercial airports not private airstrips. I guess anything with an airport IATA code.

Old 12-10-2023, 04:02 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandissf View Post
I am referring to commercial airports not private airstrips. I guess anything with an airport IATA code.
Does the airfield on Johnston Island count?
It's military, but I went there once, long ago.

Oh, and I once got launched off an aircraft carrier.

Old 12-10-2023, 04:07 PM

503 posts, read 258,405 times
Smallest Commercial Airport. Momote ( Manus Island ) Papua New Guinea. At least in the 1990s, just a runway, no terminal. Luggage was dumped on the tarmack. No one to check tickets. Half the passengers were carrying livestock.

Smallest Semi-Commercial Airport. Atkasuk, North Slope of Alaska. Just a runway and the police chief ( one-man police force ) to pick up anyone who dared land there ( and drive them into town ). We left the aircraft with it's engine running while we went into "town" to meet with the chief. Was 45 degrees below zero. That was also in the 1990s.

Old 12-10-2023, 04:26 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Smallest with IATA codes, probably a toss up:

Port Heiden Airport, AK
Hollis Clark Bay Seaplane Base, AK
Excursion Inlet Seaplane Base, AK

Old 12-10-2023, 04:38 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Smallest

LUP, Kalaupapa Airport (Molokaʻi, Hawaii), the "airport" is a small building with just 3 walls!

MDY, Henderson Field (Midway Atoll) - there's no terminal or airport for that matter, but a really long runway managed by the FAA

NZIR, McMurdo Sea Ice Runway, Antarctica, there is no terminal or airport

NZPG, Pegasus Ice Runway, Antarctica, there is no terminal or airport

Old 12-10-2023, 10:15 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
MDY, Henderson Field (Midway Atoll) - there's no terminal or airport for that matter, but a really long runway managed by the FAA
I've flown into that one too!

In addition, I've flown into the following small airports aboard commercial flights:

BRW (Barrow, AK) -- not the smallest I've ever been to, but perhaps the most remote, along with MDY.

CXF (Coldfoot, AK) -- a tourist flight, so I'm not sure it counts, but it did have a published flight number.

GST (Gustavus, AK) -- flew in on a small prop plane and flew out on the day's one and only jet flight.

MKK (Hoolehua, Molokai, HI).

SLN (Salina, KS) -- has a super-long runway, but only two commercial flights a day, one of which I was on.

SUA (Stuart, FL) -- this was during the short period of time that it offered commercial air service, back in the 1980s.

VLD (Valdosta, GA) -- Delta lost my luggage on that flight, but they got it to me the next day. I'll never forget the poor sap who was on the flight with me; he had flown from Taipei, to Seattle, to Atlanta, and then finally to Valdosta, and his luggage was lost too. Don't know if he ever got it back or not.

Probably smaller, but non-commercial and visited on small private planes, were the airstrips in Manassas, VA and Clewiston, FL. (I don't think either of them has an IATA code, so they don't count.)

In terms of the largest, does the OP mean the physical size of the airport grounds or the number of passengers served? In terms of actual size, it would be DEN (Denver, CO), MCO (Orlando, FL), and IAD (Dulles Airport, Washington). In terms of passengers, ATL (Atlanta, GA), DEN, ORD (Chicago O'Hare), LAX (Los Angeles), and ICN (Seoul-Incheon, South Korea).

Old 12-11-2023, 08:37 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandissf View Post
What are largest and smallest airports people have visited? Largest - Dubai by far. Smallest - Puerto Villamil - Isabela Island, Galapagos, Ecuador. It's a landing strip with a small building - no a/c nor shops nor drinking fountains. Primarily for Cessnas traveling to the other Galapagos islands.
In terms of land mass, I'd probably say Charles De Gaulle Airport (CDG) in Paris is the largest I've flown in and out of. A close runner up though is Dallas Fort Worth (DFW).

In terms of numbers of flights coming in and out of the airport, I think Chicago's O'Hare Airport (ORD) is one of the busiest. London Heathrow (LHR) would be up there too.

One very small airport I have flown out of is the Minot Airport in Minot, North Dakota (MOT). As I remember, they had just a few flights a day out of there in forty seat aircraft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation