Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 05:31 PM

62,110 posts, read 87,911,204 times

Advertisements

A whole host of airlines are reducing or even completely ditching reclining seats.The controversial feature has long caused debate, and even resulted in serious altercations.
But this change isn't made for reasons you might think (discomfort of some travellers - who cares about them, right?). Reclining seats have been phased out by some airlines seeking to save money (kinematic seats cost more) and space AKA cramming more seats into the aircraft space.
If an airline can save one inch of space per row, that’s 30" across the plane, which works out to an entire extra row of seats.
A good thing about it is that replacing recliners with "pre-recliners" can mean fewer angry passengers, and less incidents during the flights.

However, while they’re being reduced quite significantly, it’s unlikely the feature will completely disappear from long-haul services anytime soon.

https://www.timeout.com/news/will-20...ne-seat-010324
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 09:53 AM

345 posts, read 302,385 times
Coming from someone that's 6'2, I REALLY hope they do away with them.

Old 01-12-2024, 10:00 AM

3,324 posts, read 1,804,331 times
This is the reason I always sit behind a bulkhead on the rare occasion I fly. Frankly speaking with all the TSA BS, I'd rather drive even if it takes more than a day. It's less stressful.

Old 01-12-2024, 11:03 AM

14,475 posts, read 14,436,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
A whole host of airlines are reducing or even completely ditching reclining seats.The controversial feature has long caused debate, and even resulted in serious altercations.
But this change isn't made for reasons you might think (discomfort of some travellers - who cares about them, right?). Reclining seats have been phased out by some airlines seeking to save money (kinematic seats cost more) and space AKA cramming more seats into the aircraft space.
If an airline can save one inch of space per row, that’s 30" across the plane, which works out to an entire extra row of seats.
A good thing about it is that replacing recliners with "pre-recliners" can mean fewer angry passengers, and less incidents during the flights.

However, while they’re being reduced quite significantly, it’s unlikely the feature will completely disappear from long-haul services anytime soon.

https://www.timeout.com/news/will-20...ne-seat-010324
I would just be thrilled if they eliminating the reclining feature. It just causes grief on long flights for my wife and I both.

Old 01-12-2024, 12:05 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,908,377 times
A whole host of airlines are reducing or even completely ditching reclining seats.
Who exactly? Did I miss it? The author is in the UK - and so is the "whole host."
Meantime - I am seriously just baffled by this. I flew more than 300 times (separate planes, I mean) in the past 3 years - from prop -Dash8 to A380 - and I am not a particularly small person.
I have NEVER had a problem with a seat reclining in front of me - and so I too recline, since I assume it won't bother anyone else.
How on earth does this bother anyone? The TRAY does not move - just the seat back. It moves 4" at most - usually just 3". There is just NO WAY it hits anyone in the head OR in the knees, excepting very thick or tall people.

Meantime - the "pre tilted" chairs are silly - the whole point of bringing the seat back up is so that you can quickly evacuate if needed.

I've followed the argument for years - and those of you whining about this, I gotta ask - what are you doing on this plane that it's such a bother? Tilt your own seat back, and you won't even notice the person in front of you.
ONE caveat: If you are fortunate enough to be on a plane with a meal...and your meal is on the tray...THEN the seatback in front of you can provide a minor obstacle for the ten minutes or so you're eating. So what?
Sitting bolt upright is far more uncomfortable than any (in front of me) seat back ever has been.

Old 01-12-2024, 12:20 PM

17,237 posts, read 57,262,913 times
OK, give me one more reason to hate flying and not do it. May very well never get on an airliner again.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:04 PM

206 posts, read 145,486 times
787 has a nice feature on reclining seat.
The bottom of seat slides forward, the back does not impinge on the space behind you

I seldom recline.

and... I avoid the row behind bulkhead, as those passengers are the 'privileged' who are most certain to recline. They usually paid more for their seat, so they are happy (obligated) to occupy YOUR space.

Old 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM

62,110 posts, read 87,911,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Who exactly? Did I miss it? The author is in the UK - and so is the "whole host."

Meantime - the "pre tilted" chairs are silly - the whole point of bringing the seat back up is so that you can quickly evacuate if needed.
Pre-reclined seats are generally designed to lean back at an angle that's roughly halfway between fully upright and completely reclined.
This translates to a fixed recline angle of about 3 inches.

https://www.seatguru.com/traveltips/...-reclined-seat

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...g/70299681007/

American Airlines, United Airlines and Southwest Airlines already limit coach passengers to a 2-inch recline on most domestic flights, and some budget carriers have switched to “pre-reclined” seats that don’t lean back at all.
At United, economy seats generally recline about 2 inches on domestic flights, though the A320 offers 3 inches.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...419-story.html

Last edited by elnina; 01-14-2024 at 04:23 PM..

Old 01-21-2024, 03:31 AM

2,388 posts, read 1,587,282 times
When you have a fourteen hour overnight flight it is helpful if your seat reclines. But not good if the person in front reclines their seat even before take-off, as happened to the person next to me coming back to Sydney from Dubai.

Old 01-22-2024, 07:37 AM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 23 days ago)

5,772 posts, read 4,771,416 times
We're flying direct from LAX-SYD on Saturday night. I couldn't imagine the 14:55 flight time with lay flat seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation