Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 10:22 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

If you think - it's hardly impossible anymore - well, Southwest found a new way and reveals thinner seats to cram even more people onboard.
Now, wedged between a drunk farting guy who hasn't showered in a week and someone holding a screaming baby that just puked, Southwest Airlines hopes you'll pause for a second and think to yourself: hey, nice new seats. I'm suddenly enjoying air travel, again!!

New Recaro seats are as thin as an ironing board BUT will maximize cabin space and squeeze more paying passengers onboard are designed to take up as little space as possible. The chairs, clad in artificial leather, feature a thin foam cushion in the front.

"Our redesigned cabin interior significantly enhances our inflight Customer experience and will complement the amazing service that our Crews provide,” said Southwest Airlines senior vice president and chief customer officer Tony Roach.
These new Southwest cabins are set to debut in early 2025 on the carrier’s new Boeing 737 Max 8 planes.

"We believe our 2024 plan provides a line of sight to improve our profitability year-over-year, earn our cost of capital this year, and provide significant progress towards our long-term goal to well exceed our cost of capital." said in a news release, CEO and president Bob Jordan.
Southwest earned a net income of $498 million, according to the company's report.

A hell of a statement and one more reason to avoid those airplanes.

https://jalopnik.com/southwest-airli...e-p-1851230112

Last edited by elnina; 02-07-2024 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 10:57 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
I've only flown Southwest once, and I will never fly them again. It's like a cattle call being in line waiting on a seat, and they nickel and dime you so that you wind up paying more than you would have on a better airline. I'm firmly in Delta's camp, but a company I used to work for would put us on just about any airline that would get us to the job site sooner and cheaper. I didn't work for them long.

Old 02-07-2024, 11:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
At least on SWA, you are free to get up and MOVE!!! (I do it each time an axe murderer sits next to me.)

Tho Platinum and 1K on legacy carriers, SWA gets my 2+ flights / week for last 20 yrs (within USA) Some days I fly SWA 10x in one day. ($25 mileage runs for Companion pass)

Wish they flew more international, but unlikely a way to keep them affordable.

Old 02-07-2024, 11:40 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
At least on SWA, you are free to get up and MOVE!!! (I do it each time an axe murderer sits next to me.)

Tho Platinum and 1K on legacy carriers, SWA gets my 2+ flights / week for last 20 yrs (within USA) Some days I fly SWA 10x in one day. ($25 mileage runs for Companion pass)
^^^ How do you do that?? Are you a pilot?

Old 02-07-2024, 01:01 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
I’ve taken SWA several times to Las Vegas and San Francisco. If it’s less than two hours I can put up with it. My last long distance flight was from San Diego to Honolulu and that was seven hours with American and it was extremely uncomfortable in economy. When I was much younger I flew economy as far as places in SE Asia that lasted up to 14 hours. But back then you had much more comfortable seating.

Old 02-07-2024, 01:09 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
I've sat in thinly padded race car seats that were very comfortable, I wouldn't write-off thin seats as being uncomfortable until I sat in them.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:40 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
I did most of my traveling when I was in my early 20’s and working for an airline. I didn’t mind the inconveniences… it was more of an adventure than a PITA, and it was more about the destination than how I got there.

Old 02-07-2024, 03:21 PM

206 posts, read 134,321 times
SWA free choice seating means you are able to find the (remaining) seat that suits you, but primarily it is VERY fast for boarding, as no one is looking for their particular assigned seat.

I do hope the 'new' seats are not as bad as Frontier (ouch).

Last edited by HeartNox18; 02-07-2024 at 03:29 PM..

Old 02-07-2024, 04:39 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If you think - it's hardly impossible anymore - well, Southwest found a new way and reveals thinner seats to cram even more people onboard.
Now, wedged between a drunk farting guy who hasn't showered in a week and someone holding a screaming baby that just puked, Southwest Airlines hopes you'll pause for a second and think to yourself: hey, nice new seats. I'm suddenly enjoying air travel, again!!

New Recaro seats are as thin as an ironing board BUT will maximize cabin space and squeeze more paying passengers onboard are designed to take up as little space as possible. The chairs, clad in artificial leather, feature a thin foam cushion in the front.

"Our redesigned cabin interior significantly enhances our inflight Customer experience and will complement the amazing service that our Crews provide,” said Southwest Airlines senior vice president and chief customer officer Tony Roach.
These new Southwest cabins are set to debut in early 2025 on the carrier’s new Boeing 737 Max 8 planes.

"We believe our 2024 plan provides a line of sight to improve our profitability year-over-year, earn our cost of capital this year, and provide significant progress towards our long-term goal to well exceed our cost of capital." said in a news release, CEO and president Bob Jordan.
Southwest earned a net income of $498 million, according to the company's report.

A hell of a statement and one more reason to avoid those airplanes.

https://jalopnik.com/southwest-airli...e-p-1851230112
How long after they put in these new "skinny" seats, will they start weighing and measuring the passengers, and charging them for an extra seat if they are chubbier than a typical major league baseball shortstop?

Got to "earn that cost of capital", dontcha know.

Old 02-07-2024, 05:17 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
How long after they put in these new "skinny" seats, will they start weighing and measuring the passengers, and charging them for an extra seat if they are chubbier than a typical major league baseball shortstop?

Got to "earn that cost of capital", dontcha know.
New Zealand and a Finland carrier already do. Weight and balance is a critical factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation