Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:15 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,436,043 times

Advertisements

*Good piece!!

http://http://www.newrepublic.com/ar...e-putdown-rats

As someone who just moved back to Baltimore, where I lived for five years before spending the following six bouncing around greater Washington, I was glad to hear that the Washington Post, my former employer, had a big piece in its magazine about my new-old town. After all, the Post’s publisher had not long ago famously decreed that the magazine stop publishing “depressing” stories, so this piece would surely promise to be an upbeat dispatch—unlike, say, the Post’s incessant, borderline gleeful commentary on Baltimore’s jail scandal, or its epically patronizing Travel section feature on the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 AM

92 posts, read 173,784 times
That first link you posted doesn't work but I found it here:

The Washington Post's latest anti-Baltimore putdown: rats! | New Republic

Old 06-25-2013, 11:50 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,531,622 times
"Ratting out InfiniteHeights' tiresome anti-Baltimore contempt"

Old 06-26-2013, 06:35 AM

Default lol

You're a funny dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post

Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 AM

226 posts, read 414,400 times
That excert from Scocca at the bottom is weird and silly. The guy bashes D.C. for having some supposed fascination with Baltimore, or rivalry, which Baltimore doesn't actually care about. Umm same same. D.C. doesn't think about Baltimore either. I lived in D.C. for years and have never once met someone who was worried about what's going on in Baltimore or what they think of us. (with the exception of the street level beefs you used to hear about way back when)

I do understand why some Baltimoreans might believe we do. Its a matter of perspective. People believe what they see is reflective of the world in general. In terms of Baltimore DC relations, almost the only D.C. people who spend a lot of time thinking or talking about how Baltimore and D.C. compare are the D.C. people who are IN Baltimore for some reason. (Example: me. From D.C. Moved into Baltimore for work reasons). Of course if you are in baltimore, those are the D.C. people you meet. D.C. people in D.C. don't pay any more attention to Baltimore than they do to Philly or Richmond. So, this so called "rivalry" is equally nonexistent from both sides.

WaPo might be an exception, but that's because they are a SH* newspaper with nothing better to write about than this and their 37 yearly "Redskins need a name change" articles.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:56 AM
LRG

74 posts, read 112,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Uncle Ruckas is at it again.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:31 PM

45,467 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Not addressing the article but the jail scandal is absolutely an appropriate topic for stories. And you know what, the Post isn't hacking Baltimore but the O'Malley Administration for nearly 7 years of smoke and mirrors in dealing with the issue.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:32 PM
LRG

74 posts, read 112,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not addressing the article but the jail scandal is absolutely an appropriate topic for stories. And you know what, the Post isn't hacking Baltimore but the O'Malley Administration for nearly 7 years of smoke and mirrors in dealing with the issue.
There are several threads already created by the OP all on some version of "what's wrong with Baltimore?" It's tiresome and deliberate. I can't imagine hating where I (allege to) live so much.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:21 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,532,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRG View Post
There are several threads already created by the OP all on some version of "what's wrong with Baltimore?" It's tiresome and deliberate. I can't imagine hating where I (allege to) live so much.
I hated DC so I left. Living somewhere you hate is unhealthy.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:50 AM

Default lol

Bow down and kiss the black ring !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRG View Post
Uncle Ruckas is at it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore